talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

John Egan Joins Sheffield United for £4m

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great news, club record signing too. Also just generally relieved that we're reinvesting the £15m from Bournemouth. According to a report that came out the club, we have a £7m transfer kitty, obviously helped by the Brooks sale. The more leadership the better, as I think after such a great first season back in the Championship (which let's face it, took everyone by surprise.. especially Wednesday :D), we'll need cooler heads not to let the good work slip this term.

From what I've seen and heard of Egan he's never been great for us, good defender but hasn't been anything special.

We've also had 4 first choice centre backs at the club and he's not always made the team, so I think first team football is also behind this.

We still have Barbet, have just signed Konsa and well if this means keeping Mepham I'll drive Egan to Sheffield myself and I live in Auckland.

We have decent B Team players which we may look to replace Egan with, otherwise we've just made £3.2m (£800k to Peterborough) on a player that cost us £400k so I believe.

I'm used to us selling our best players for big money (Gray, Hogan, Jota), if we're selling players like Egan and Jozefzoon who are both replaceable for nearly £7m and have replaced them for younger players, on longer contracts, for around £5m then I'm very happy with this business.

Archived