talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Expectations For Your Club in 2018/19

football forum

18 minutes ago, Cicero said:

All true points. Still think Mourinho's 3rd season syndrome has become an inevitable at this rate. All the signs are there as well. Vast divide among fans wanting Mourinho to stay vs wanting him gone. Horrid football. Wasting attacking talent. Poor transfer market activity. Mourinho constantly whining in the public about his admiration of players that the club can't get for him. 

Literally is like clockwork. I've said it a while back that United would of been far better off not extending his contract whilst doing everything possible to get Jardim. The man is built for Manchester United. 

I hope you’re right. I hope they replace Mourinho with someone more like Moyes though, when that do come around.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber

Realistic - not spend most of the season in or close to the relegation zone,. Optimistic - challenge for Europe.

I'm still waiting for us to sign two midfielders, happy with the squad otherwise and think this could be a good season for us.

I don’t have a club. It’s pretty alien and I expect a barrage of abuse after this post but in all honesty, it’s true. I don’t support a Football Club. I suppose it probably helps having no emotional ties to the club through family, all my family are northern and my Dad never had a team growing up, he just went to local games if he wasn’t watching Rugby League and my Mum’s side aren’t massive on Football. 

Over the course of last season my interest in Orient wained by the week. I didn’t bother watching their first game of the season, which was a televised game against Sutton United and that sort of set the tone for my season. It got to the point where I didn’t have a clue who they were playing, what their results were or who they’d signed. I honestly wouldn’t be able to tell you a piece of business they’ve done this summer or who their first game of the season is against. They had a friendly about 6 miles from home a couple of weeks ago and I only found out when I drove past on the morning of the game. I went once last season, at home to Sutton United and when they were scoring, I didn’t feel anything at all. I’m just apathetic to them now, if I’m totally honest. 

I enjoyed last season though. In fact, I probably enjoyed more than any season for quite a few years. I watched Football at various levels. I watched International Football, Premier League, Europa League, Championship, League One and Southern Premier League Football and I saw some good games and went to some decent places and I’m looking forward to doing it again this coming season. 

I’m in the process of buying a flat so I can’t commit to much for the next couple of months but I’m off to Wembley in November for the England v Croatia game (I was going to do the Switzerland one at Leicester but I’ve scrapped that) and I’m hoping to “tick off” a few new grounds this coming season. I’d quite like to do Bristol City, Ipswich, Tottenham’s new ground, Derby, Brighton and I’m sure I’ll do a few local ones I’ve been to before. I’d like to get out on the continent at some point this season, maybe Italy or Spain. 

But yeah, I’m expecting some more good days out and some entertaining games this season. 

On 19/07/2018 at 16:03, Stan said:

Challenge for Europe. Improve on last season's tame push for Europe and actually contend for it instead of being on the outskirts of it and making a poor attempt at getting there.

Successful cup run - League Cup or FA Cup, not fussed - would prefer latter as we've never won it.

That sounds like all Leicester can hope for. It must be frustrating supporting a team that never wins anything :ph34r:

On 19/07/2018 at 14:15, Cicero said:

Given we complete our "rumored" signings, in Golovin, Rugani, Bailey (wishful thinking) and a GK. Add on to that we keep Hazard, I would expect us to push for the top 4. 

New manager, new system, and a practically new midfield. Reckon we will start off slow, if not struggle in the beginning. We have players to rotate for Europa and the league. The Europa I wouldn't mind winning given we actually properly qualified for it vs getting kicked out of the group stage of the CL. 

That said, finishing in the top 4 and ending the season with a trophy should be the goal. We have enough quality to do so. 

Gonna sound strange but I actually think you could win the title this year.

• Subscriber
On 7/19/2018 at 16:03, Stan said:

Challenge for Europe. Improve on last season's tame push for Europe and actually contend for it instead of being on the outskirts of it and making a poor attempt at getting there.

Successful cup run - League Cup or FA Cup, not fussed - would prefer latter as we've never won it.

Agree with this basically. Also - not implode and feel forced into changing manager, although I'd not be at all surprised if this happened once again.

2 hours ago, Smiley Culture said:

I don’t have a club. It’s pretty alien and I expect a barrage of abuse after this post but in all honesty, it’s true. I don’t support a Football Club. I suppose it probably helps having no emotional ties to the club through family, all my family are northern and my Dad never had a team growing up, he just went to local games if he wasn’t watching Rugby League and my Mum’s side aren’t massive on Football. 

Over the course of last season my interest in Orient wained by the week. I didn’t bother watching their first game of the season, which was a televised game against Sutton United and that sort of set the tone for my season. It got to the point where I didn’t have a clue who they were playing, what their results were or who they’d signed. I honestly wouldn’t be able to tell you a piece of business they’ve done this summer or who their first game of the season is against. They had a friendly about 6 miles from home a couple of weeks ago and I only found out when I drove past on the morning of the game. I went once last season, at home to Sutton United and when they were scoring, I didn’t feel anything at all. I’m just apathetic to them now, if I’m totally honest. 

I enjoyed last season though. In fact, I probably enjoyed more than any season for quite a few years. I watched Football at various levels. I watched International Football, Premier League, Europa League, Championship, League One and Southern Premier League Football and I saw some good games and went to some decent places and I’m looking forward to doing it again this coming season. 

I’m in the process of buying a flat so I can’t commit to much for the next couple of months but I’m off to Wembley in November for the England v Croatia game (I was going to do the Switzerland one at Leicester but I’ve scrapped that) and I’m hoping to “tick off” a few new grounds this coming season. I’d quite like to do Bristol City, Ipswich, Tottenham’s new ground, Derby, Brighton and I’m sure I’ll do a few local ones I’ve been to before. I’d like to get out on the continent at some point this season, maybe Italy or Spain. 

But yeah, I’m expecting some more good days out and some entertaining games this season. 

That actually sounds really nice. I'd love to be able to do that, but I know I'd have more than one eye on the Liverpool game, and I'm sure many others are the same.

The goal would obviously be to get back in the top 4. A cup to go along with that would be nice as well.

For Arsenal that's probably sad as it shows a lack of ambition and it's a shame that this is what Arsenal have become now. I wish we were more like Liverpool who are investing heavily in players and are showing great ambition to finish top 4 and maybe win a cup. :ph34r:

On 19/07/2018 at 14:38, Dr. Gonzo said:

We’ve spent like half that? Also at least our big spending is going to lead to some sexy football that you’ll probably enjoy watching. No 11 men behind the ball, wingers turned to fullbacks, parking our bus with this expensive team. We’ll try to win it by playing football that makes you erect.

I think liverpool actually made a profit on tranfers last year.  Probably not gonna happen thos year but it's not like there net spend is £200 million odd like the manchester clubs

Push for the play offs, we had a bad start to the season last season due to the transfer window and squad disruption. Once we got on track we were performing like a team who would finish 6th/5th/4th, in the end we weren't that far off a play off spot.

This season a play off spot has to be the minimum aim otherwise there's no progress.

As for Norwich, play off challenge and more goals especially at home. I think almost every championship club aims for the play offs. 

More academy players in the first team squad would be great also. I’d love to become one of them clubs which is known for having a successful academy and I think we’re certainly getting there.

• Administrator
43 minutes ago, Marc said:

As for Norwich, play off challenge and more goals especially at home. I think almost every championship club aims for the play offs. 

More academy players in the first team squad would be great also. I’d love to become one of them clubs which is known for having a successful academy and I think we’re certainly getting there.

First bit - realistic ambitions in that league these days. It's so tight for most of the season that a month of good wins can build good momentum and keep a team either in the play-offs or on the brink of them. From memory, teams down to 11th or 12th could sometimes have a realistic shot at play-offs even when the run-in from April begins.

Second bit - who's coming through that could be the next player to 'make it'? 

A lot of players for Liverpool to bed in this year with big changes to the starting 11....

Expectations...

Solid top 4 finish,  UCL quarters or better. 

But my hopes:

EPL clearly established as main contender to city for the title.  clear 2nd place or better. 

UCL: semis or better

Winning FA or league cup. 

22 hours ago, Stan said:

First bit - realistic ambitions in that league these days. It's so tight for most of the season that a month of good wins can build good momentum and keep a team either in the play-offs or on the brink of them. From memory, teams down to 11th or 12th could sometimes have a realistic shot at play-offs even when the run-in from April begins.

Second bit - who's coming through that could be the next player to 'make it'? 

We've got a right back called Jamal Lewis who played most of last season and did really well, made his NI Ireland debut too.

A lad called Tod Cantwell, a little bit Maddison esque. He took the modern approach last season and went on loan to Fortuna Sittard in January last season. They play in Eredivisie 2 (or whatever it is called) and finished second to get promotion to the Eredivisie and it seems like he played an integral part in his short time there,

Then there's Ben Godfry, not an academy player but we signed him from York when he was 18/19. He was on loan at SHrewsbury last season and did really well. He's been loosely linked to a few Prem clubs but hopefully he will sign a new contract.

Them 3 already have pro senior experience, so have already 'made it' to some extent, but they are the most likely to breakthrough and become sellable assets.

Obviously in the last 12 months we've sold the Murphy's for a combined fee of around 22m.

Archived