talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Jadon Sancho

Not going to pretend I've watched a lot of him, but for an 18 year old the highlights I've seen are class, looks to have a bright future for club and country. So skilful and seems to glide past players. Hopefully he can have a bigger season at Dortmund this season.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber

Definitely a very talented player, but will also face enormous competition for a place in BVB's starting XI next season. Reus, Pulisic, Wolf, Philipp, Schürrle (?) (depending on what system Favre chooses to play, also Schürrle is apparently in talks with a new club), that's a lot of quality there... Granted, there's a lot of rotation to be expected, so Sancho should surely get enough playing time either way.

• Administrator

Any risk to England of this boy being poached by the Germans in a few years time? Because if it was the way round, the Brexit wailing Sun tabloid would be leading the amusingly hypercritical line of “give him a passport” 

• Administrator
32 minutes ago, Batard said:

Any risk to England of this boy being poached by the Germans in a few years time? Because if it was the way round, the Brexit wailing Sun tabloid would be leading the amusingly hypercritical line of “give him a passport” 

Interesting you mention that - Germany have a wide range of talent who are more senior but I do wonder if they'll look to the 'future' after the shambles of a World Cup. Sancho would fall in that category so it wouldn't surprise me if they tried to poach him or turn his head.

I remember watching him in a few Man City U21s games and he'd have the same impact as the likes of Foden & Brahim Diaz. Obviously with not having a chance to play for the senior team he made the very brave step of moving country (maybe he had connections in Germany already to make it easier?) but to step in to Dortmund's side and play more than just the odd game here and there wouldn't have been easy for an 18 year old. 

I'd hope that his foreign experience would help the England side but it wouldn't surprise me if Germany could persuade him to play for theirs.

• Administrator
4 minutes ago, Danny said:

He's English and parents are Trinidadian, unless he gets German citizenship how is he going to represent them?

that's what we're discussing?

Presumably he stays in Germany long enough and then doesn't get capped by England senior team by that time, then his options are open...

• Subscriber

Remember this with Lewis Holtby who ended up going German but wouldn't get into either team now anyway.

Is this really a thing? We've got this one English lad coming through overseas, does that mean straight away there's a risk of him playing for that national team?

And if so should England be trying to get foreign players who come through in the Premier League and Championship signed up to play for us? I know theres loads but I can't think of many examples off the top of my head but say Kasper Schmeichel? Alex Iwobi if he was good enough?

Just now, Stan said:

that's what we're discussing?

Presumably he stays in Germany long enough and then doesn't get capped by England senior team by that time, then his options are open...

Oh, seems a bit odd/premature seeing as he'd be 22 by the time he'd eligible for citizenship and has been capped for England at under-16, under-17 and under-19 levels. That would be a colossal of a fuck up to let him get away. I know there is history of this happening (Costa being Brazilian, that Brazilian striker Germany had a few years ago)...but I reckon Sancho will be capped this season or next if he can push his goal tally up.

• Administrator
5 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

Remember this with Lewis Holtby who ended up going German but wouldn't get into either team now anyway.

Is this really a thing? We've got this one English lad coming through overseas, does that mean straight away there's a risk of him playing for that national team?

And if so should England be trying to get foreign players who come through in the Premier League and Championship signed up to play for us? I know theres loads but I can't think of many examples off the top of my head but say Kasper Schmeichel? Alex Iwobi if he was good enough?

not a big risk, right now.

But imagine if he nails the next 2 seasons for Dortmund, increases his profile and stature, so to speak, in the game and becomes some kind of hot property - Germany might be interested if he hasn't been capped by England by that time.

As for England trying to get foreign players come through, I don't see why not. 

• Subscriber
1 minute ago, Faithcore said:

Sancho might even be an option for Italy if he moves to an italian club now and plays a few great seasons over there. 

The prerequisite, of course, is that he hasn't played for England until then. 

I think Germany should also try and poach Reece Oxford, Mandela Egbo, Kaylen Hinds, Ryan Kent, Kevin Danso, and of course Ademola Lookman. That's the future of the national team sorted :ph34r:

2 minutes ago, nudge said:

I think Germany should also try and poach Reece Oxford, Mandela Egbo, Kaylen Hinds, Ryan Kent, Kevin Danso, and of course Ademola Lookman. That's the future of the national team sorted :ph34r:

Don't be ridiculous nudge, Reece Oxford is back in England now :England:

Just now, nudge said:

Do you know if Gareth Southgate would be allowed to take over the German national team right now or would he have to coach a Bundesliga side first?

But now that I think about it. We wouldn't really need him anyway until the other English players are eligable to play for us and make us competitive again.

How could Southgate bring football home if he manages Germany? Unless he can get a time machine, bring the idea of football to Germany, let them wait 5 years to claim its citizenship and have David Hasslehoff create a version of Footballs Coming Home all in time for Jason Sancho to score a World Cup final winner to make Gareth Southgate the German hero he deserves to be :D

3 minutes ago, Danny said:

How could Southgate bring football home if he manages Germany? Unless he can get a time machine, bring the idea of football to Germany, let them wait 5 years to claim its citizenship and have David Hasslehoff create a version of Footballs Coming Home all in time for Jason Sancho to score a World Cup final winner to make Gareth Southgate the German hero he deserves to be :D

He already is, nobody forgot his typically English penalty taking in 1996.

• Administrator
20 minutes ago, nudge said:

In England, this would - albeit by the press - be considered an actual option 

8 minutes ago, Danny said:

We already created one in 1996. So that wouldn't be a problem :)

5 hours ago, nudge said:

How has Mandela Egbo got on? I've got a lot of time for him. 

• Subscriber
6 minutes ago, The Palace Fan said:

How has Mandela Egbo got on? I've got a lot of time for him. 

He mostly plays for Gladbach's reserves, so I haven't seen him much, to be honest. I know he spent almost a year injured, and his debut in the Bundesliga last season wasn't that great. That's not surprising given his age, but there's plenty of room to improve, apparently.

Archived