talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Tim Cahill calls time on legendary Socceroos career

football forum

ONE of Australia’s greatest footballers, Tim Cahill, has announced his retirement from the international game.

The Socceroos legend, 38, confirmed via Twitter that the World Cup Group fixture against Peru was his last game for the national side.

“Today’s (Tuesday) the day that I’m officially hanging up my boots on my international career with the Socceroos,” Cahill tweeted.

“No words can describe what it has meant to represent my country. Massive thank you to everyone for the support throughout all my years wearing the Australian badge.”

Cahill made history at the recent World Cup in Russia, joining the likes of Brazil legend Pele to play in four consecutive tournaments.

Cahill played 107 games for the Socceroos - just missing out on Mark Schwarzer’s record (109 matches) - but finished as Australia’s most prolific goal-scorer, netting fifty international goals.

The versatile aerial magician’s exit from the international arena was not the send off Australia expected, with interim Socceroos coach Bert van Marwijk refusing to bow to public pressure and give Cahill big minutes in Russia.

But Cahill’s lasting legacy will be as the Socceroos’ great talisman, with many of his goals coming at moments when Australia needed them the most.

His double against Japan at Kaiserslautern in 2006 made him the first Australian player to score at the World Cup, transforming him into a national icon in a flash.

He also scored at the 2010 and 2014 World Cups - producing arguably the goal of the tournament at the latter with his rasping volley against the Netherlands to pull them level at 1-1.

Cahill backed that effort up again the following year at the Asian Cup with both goals in Australia’s 2-0 quarter-final win over China in Brisbane - the first a spectacular overhead bicycle kick, the second a trademark header.

And while his influence waned over the ensuing years, he produced the goods again as the Socceroos battled to qualify for Russia.

With Australia 1-0 down in their play-off against Syria, Cahill struck twice - once in regulation time, once in extra time - to put them on course for the two-legged battle against Honduras from which they emerged victorious.

The evergreen Cahill is expected to continue his club career.

https://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/football/tim-cahill-set-to-call-time-on-legendary-socceroos-premier-league-career/news-story/b84ecd074ea30b8ada67fce80805ee27

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 minutes ago, True Blue said:

Never really liked him, but an excellent player who had a good career. Also impressive International career.

Greatest Australian player ever imo. In terms of on pitch national team contribution. 52 goals in 107 games is an  exceptional return. And so many matches won off his magic head.

11 hours ago, Harry said:

Absolute bloody legend!

His second goal in this game still brings a tear to my eye...

I remember that. 3 goals in the last ten minures wasnt it?

3 hours ago, Gunnersauraus said:

I remember that. 3 goals in the last ten minures wasnt it?

Yep. Probably my favorite football moment ever. To this day its still our only ever victory in world cup competition.

25 minutes ago, Harry said:

Yep. Probably my favorite football moment ever. To this day its still our only ever victory in world cup competition.

Didn't you beat serbia?

8 hours ago, Gunnersauraus said:

Didn't you beat serbia?

Lol. Fair point. I don't remember much of that South Africa world cup. We were so optimistic  and the utter destruction Germany and Ozil in particular weathered upon us in the first match whitewashed my memory of that whole world cup. 

Only things i remember....

1. Vuvuzelas.

2. Germany smash us 4-0 in  the first group game.

3. Spain win every game 1-0.

Archived