talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Young Players to watch in 18/19 Bundesliga

• Subscriber

Official Bundesliga website is doing a series of articles of young talents to look out for next season. I won't copy paste it all, as it's quite a lot, but here are the links:

1173245_imgw968.jpg
Part 1: https://www.bundesliga.com/en/news/Bundesliga/davor-lovren-keanan-bennetts-lukas-mai-linton-maina-kiprit-teenage-kicks-509434.jsp

1173246_imgw968.jpg
Part 2: https://www.bundesliga.com/en/news/Bundesliga/david-otto-franck-evina-ibrahima-konate-sergio-gomez-julius-kade-teenage-kicks-509433.jsp

1173924_imgw968.jpg
Part 3: https://www.bundesliga.com/en/news/Bundesliga/josh-sargent-arne-maier-cuisance-danso-itter-teenage-kicks-509424.jsp

1174206_imgw968.jpg
Part 4 https://www.bundesliga.com/en/news/Bundesliga/pulisic-jadon-sancho-havertz-mckennie-upamecano-teenage-kicks-509424.jsp

Any other names to add to the list? Who do you expect the most from? Who will make a breakthrough this upcoming season? Who's overhyped and will disappoint? 

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator

feels odd to take this thread away from players that will play in the league, but what's going on with Max Meyer who's not even got a club? Thought he was highly rated?

Came across this tweet this morning

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11095/11443137/max-meyer-former-schalke-wonderkid-without-a-club

Max Meyer was hailed as the next wonderkid from Germany, but with the new season fast approaching, he is without a club. With the help of our colleagues at Sky Germany, we look at how he found himself in his current predicament.

Germany has produced some of the world's brightest footballing talent over the years, with Leroy Sane, Julian Brandt and Timo Werner some of the latest players to be tipped for greatness and Meyer has been included in that bracket.

He was a first-team regular at Schalke for five seasons with the team finishing in second behind Bayern Munich in the Bundesliga last term and reaching the semi-finals of the DFB-Pokal cup.

According to WhoScored.com, Meyer had the best pass-success percentage of the regular first-team squad, completing 89.1 per cent of his passes in his 24 league appearances and contributed massively to Schalke's successful season.

Schalke manager Domenico Tedesco has been credited with Meyer's progression on the field, moving him away from a No 10 position - which he had played in for most of his career - and into a deeper role.

Sky Germany reporter Max Bielefeld recently spoke to the Transfer Talkpodcast about Meyer, saying: "Without doubt, Max Meyer is a really talented guy but he had one good season with Schalke.

"He owes a lot to the new manager Tedesco because what he did was make Meyer play as a defensive midfielder in a No 6 or No 8 position when previously, he was always considered a No 10. That was last season when he played really well."

Sky Germany's Schalke reporter Dirk Grosse Schlarmann also credits Meyer's positional change that better suited his qualities with an improvement in form.

"Meyer was a classic No 10, central midfielder with the final pass, but he had problems with the speed. He is no leader on the pitch - that's why he had really good matches when the team played well - but when the team needed a leader, he was not there," he told Sky Sports.

"That's why Tedesco put him in front of the defence as a No 6. In this position, he played his best matches because he is able to look for the opening pass, he had more time for thinking and the crowd did not expect the final finish from him to win the match. He played very aggressively and that worked."

But despite flourishing under Tedesco, Meyer's relationship with Schalke turned sour in April after he criticised sporting director Christian Heidel, telling Bild: "I simply did not want to stay with Schalke and work under Heidel. It's all about this. Lately, it just feels like bullying to me."

He was dismissed from training for the remainder of the season, with Tedesco confused by the change in relationship, saying: "My impression for a long time was that Max felt at home here. That's what he expressed to the coaching staff. I'm disappointed at his personal attacks and can't fully understand them as they simply don't add up."

It lead to Meyer running down the remainder of his contract until it expired this summer, meaning he is now a free agent - but despite his obvious talent, no one has yet signed him up.

"Meyer has one problem - he has a completely wrong self-assessment. Everybody around him - his agent, Roger Wittmann, his family, the coaches of the youth teams - told him that he is one of the biggest talents, the 'German Messi' and after a while, you believe that," Grosse Schlarmann added.

"He wanted the club to respect him like other former players - Leon Goretzka, Klaas-Jan Huntelaar, Sane - and he wanted to get more money and more influence of the team, but the club did not react as Meyer wanted.

"His agent told everyone that Meyer is world class, he has to earn about €8m (£7.5m) per year and he is able to play only for the best clubs in the world. But now they have to recognise that the top clubs do not think that they are right with their opinion."

So where now for Meyer? Media reports have linked him with Arsenal and Liverpool while Tottenham were said to be interested at one stage. Other touted destinations are France and even Turkey, although agent Wittmann is targeting a Premier League move.

Bielefeld explained: "There is no concrete offer yet. They negotiated with Marseille but when they heard about the salary demands, they knew that it wouldn't happen.

"What he [Wittmann] is doing now is counting on the Premier League and the crazy weeks after the World Cup final before deadline day in the UK. He hopes some English club will have so much money to spend that they are willing to give him this salary.

"He could have continued his development at Schalke in a good environment that he knows and now there is a poker game going on. For me, he is not worth €8m a year as of now but you never know with the market."

However, it looks like he has burned his bridges at Schalke, leaving Meyer's future very much up in the air at the age of 22. He is taking a real risk with his career, meaning he could begin the 2018/19 season as a prospective wonderkid without a club.

along with the other knowledgeable German fans on here, will be interesting to hear @SchalkeUK's take on this. 

Where do you all think he'll end up next and why hasn't he got a club yet?!

• Subscriber
5 minutes ago, Stan said:

feels odd to take this thread away from players that will play in the league, but what's going on with Max Meyer who's not even got a club? Thought he was highly rated?

Came across this tweet this morning

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11095/11443137/max-meyer-former-schalke-wonderkid-without-a-club

along with the other knowledgeable German fans on here, will be interesting to hear @SchalkeUK's take on this. 

Where do you all think he'll end up next and why hasn't he got a club yet?!

This is spot on in that Sky Sports you quoted:

"Meyer has one problem - he has a completely wrong self-assessment. Everybody around him - his agent, Roger Wittmann, his family, the coaches of the youth teams - told him that he is one of the biggest talents, the 'German Messi' and after a while, you believe that," Grosse Schlarmann added.

"He wanted the club to respect him like other former players - Leon Goretzka, Klaas-Jan Huntelaar, Sane - and he wanted to get more money and more influence of the team, but the club did not react as Meyer wanted.

"His agent told everyone that Meyer is world class, he has to earn about €8m (£7.5m) per year and he is able to play only for the best clubs in the world. But now they have to recognise that the top clubs do not think that they are right with their opinion."

Thinks he's too good and has ridiculous wage requirements. Apparently he had quite a few offers, but rejected them all as he was waiting for Milan to sign him, yet they decided against him. I'm not sure he'll even find a club if he doesn't lower his requirements, definitely not in Germany. If he does, I could see Hoffenheim going for him.

• Administrator

@nudge 

His agent and family then play some part in his predicament now, aggrandising him to a status that he couldn't/hasn't lived up to. 

What British team do you think he could play well for (if he reduces his wage demands)?

• Subscriber
13 minutes ago, Stan said:

@nudge 

His agent and family then play some part in his predicament now, aggrandising him to a status that he couldn't/hasn't lived up to. 

What British team do you think he could play well for (if he reduces his wage demands)?

Hard to tell, I'm no expert on British football, but considering he hasn't even got a single consistently good season at Schalke, I'd say anything above mid-table would be punching well above his weight. 

• Administrator
36 minutes ago, nudge said:

Hard to tell, I'm no expert on British football, but considering he hasn't even got a single consistently good season at Schalke, I'd say anything above mid-table would be punching well above his weight. 

A Jack Wilshere type, talented but not that talented 

Somehow I feel some of the comments on here are totally weird.  I have know Max since he was a kid and floowe3d closely his progress through the young International teams to the Olympics where - as a leader f the tam i9n the final he was brilliant and if the rest had kept up his work rate then his goal could have won the game instead of losing from a missed penalty at the end. He has always bee reluctant to push himself forward which is why his agent has done it for him - sometimes creating the wrong impression.  My own belief is that Tedesco ruined his game - he has abilities similar to Ivan R and David Beckham and as a young guy was able almost to drop set piece balls on to a pfennig.  Tedesco took that way from him and left him at the back and out of the attacking role - thus so few goals for 04 last season - the climax was the Frankfurt semi - left to run up and down behind the goal all game whilst there was not a glimmer of a chance on the pitch that 04 were going to score - zilch from midfield for the attack to use.  despite the figures above proving his accuracy on the pitch he was nearly always the first player that Tedesco substituted when other around him were producing performances worthy only of BL3.  A few tears and using the Tic Tac Toe version of 'Warum' became almost his theme and Tedesco killed any confidence he had left - little chance of his staying at 04.  Mesut had the same problem with Slomka and was lucky to pair up with Diego.  I would love Max to go to Barca and append time with Ivan who he knows and admires, but he also has a deep respect for Herr Klopp and - had Wenger still been there - teaming up again with Mesut would have been great.  Wherever he goes, if he is allowed to play where he is best and is given the respect and confidence from the staff he will be back replacing Tony Kroos at some future date.  I have watched his progress along with watching young Josh Kimmich since old friend Andy Beck told me about him at Stuttgart some years ago and three years ago I posted on TFF that would be the replacement for Philip Lahm - most laughed at the idea - so perhaps this time the above might not seem so silly!  I have only felt so sad about this since Manuel was in tears at leaving 04 for Bayern and Ivan was trashed before leaving for Seville.  04 have a habit of doing this sort of thing - lately, Leroy, Julien, Sinead, Christian and even Benny H and now wanting Johannes back - the system there is in total chaos and the old men they have to start the 2019 season with will not be able to compete in the BL let alone the Champions league without returning to the long-held 04 tradition that 'The Kids are Alright' Those of us still watching will be waiting to wave Thilo off next!

sorry - end of old man's latest rant!:bye:

• Subscriber
1 hour ago, kapisevicius said:

Maybe it's because he plays for my favourite club but I expect the most from Cuisance. He had an amazing start and then his shine was gradually fading but I believe that he's the most talented U20 player in the league. Still don't think that Hecking is the best person to bring out the best in him.

Do you think he'll get a lot of playing time next season? He's a huge talent for sure, looked good whenever he played.

I think Kai Havertz and Christian Pulisic are the best U20 players in the league at the moment.

I personally expect a lot from Josh Sargent.

I have not seen much of him, but just judging by the fact that it was considered a bargain when Leverkusen got Paulinho for 20 mil or what is was and what he looks like on youtube, he should be a very exiting 18 year old.

Hertha have a lot of exiting youngsters. I was impressed by Dennis Jastrzembski at the u17 WM last year. Probably he will not even make the squad this year, but still one to watch.

nudge: what do you think of Johannes Eggestein? Do you think he has the chance to establish himself at Werder? He was seen by many as a real hope for the future, but did not take the step yet. 

It will also be interesting to see how Arp fares in the 2nd division. Probably the the right level for him at this time. 

• Subscriber
4 minutes ago, Relling said:

nudge: what do you think of Johannes Eggestein? Do you think he has the chance to establish himself at Werder? He was seen by many as a real hope for the future, but did not take the step yet. 

I think this will be a deciding season for him, he's improved himself when it comes to physique (more athletic, more robust), and his finishing and composure are great, especially for someone of his age. Should get increased playing time for us this season, won't be easy for him to make a breakthrough, considering the competition (Kruse, Harnik, Osako, Kainz, Rashica, later Bartels, potentially Sargent too), but other than his potential, he also seems to have the right attitude and work ethic just like his brother, so I'm pretty sure he'll manage to establish himself in the first team. It seems that Kohfeldt intends to re-train him into a winger, he played mostly on the left during our friendlies so far, that could be interesting. 

If I am to believe the British tabloids, young Max will be playing in the EPL for a less fashionable London Club but at a hefty salary.  There was talk of Hertha as well, but they could not afford to pay what EPL clubs are paying.  The reality of it is the Bundesliga has become a feeder league for the EPL, every day you look and someone else is gone and it is not like they are world class, big name signings.  Today it is Muto getting signed by Newcastle.

• Administrator
10 minutes ago, binder said:

If I am to believe the British tabloids, young Max will be playing in the EPL for a less fashionable London Club but at a hefty salary.  There was talk of Hertha as well, but they could not afford to pay what EPL clubs are paying.  The reality of it is the Bundesliga has become a feeder league for the EPL, every day you look and someone else is gone and it is not like they are world class, big name signings.  Today it is Muto getting signed by Newcastle.

@The Palace Fan you gonna take this mate?

• Subscriber

Keanan Bennetts - how has he looked in pre season @kapisevicius?

He had an excellent year last year for our U23's - was the stand out player and many had hoped he would make the step up to the first team squad this year - but instead he chose to go abroad and you paid £2 million for him which seems a fair amount for a guy that's played no first team football. 

The other one likely to go to Germany from us is Marcus Edwards. The former star of our academy - but has attitude problems, and just hasn't earned his right to play. He is small and diminutive - but exceptionally gifted on the ball, and if he does go to Leverkusen as rumoured he is one to watch. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • Subscriber

Does any of you read 11Freunde? An interesting big feature article in today's issue about the "National Team of tomorrow" with interviews and mentions of most talented German football players (mostly Bundesliga, with the exception of Thilo Kehrer) in all positions.

I would love to read that. Do you get it digitally? As the twentieth century man I am I don't have such devices, and I think you cannot subscribe to the print version outside Germany/Austria/Switzerland? I love 11Freunde in general and this particular issue I am desperate to read.

As it stands I subscribe to kicker, which is not very good in the first place, and worse when I get it in my mail a week late. Thanks for the Rasenfunk recommendation by the way. I like it a lot.

I see Guan-Luca Itter on the cover. It annoys me that it prospects at Wolfsburg look bleak at the moment.    

• Subscriber
4 minutes ago, Relling said:

I would love to read that. Do you get it digitally? As the twentieth century man I am I don't have such devices, and I think you cannot subscribe to the print version outside Germany/Austria/Switzerland? I love 11Freunde in general and this particular issue I am desperate to read.

As it stands I subscribe to kicker, which is not very good in the first place, and worse when I get it in my mail a week late. Thanks for the Rasenfunk recommendation by the way. I like it a lot.

I see Guan-Luca Itter on the cover. It annoys me that it prospects at Wolfsburg look bleak at the moment.    

I think you can also subscribe to the print version abroad too, but each such case is handled individually and you'd need to contact their customer service to arrange it! I'm too far away to consider it as it would take ages to arrive, so I'm satisfied with the digital one. I buy it and a few other German magazines from iKiosk (https://www.ikiosk.de/). 

If it's just this particular issue that you're desperate to read, I should be able to email it to you... :) 

• Subscriber
45 minutes ago, Relling said:

Ok, thanks I will try to contact them then :)

If you could do that, it would be fantastic. I would be eternally grateful. Maybe I could mail you something back that you want. Some book or something.

PM me your email address and I'll send it to you then! :) Oh and if you have any good books in digital format, I'll gladly take them!!!

Archived