talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Pitcairn Islands

football forum

So I've been reading up on the least populated settlement in the world and it seems like a fascinating place to live. They give you a plot of land with British law (I believe) with at least 1 school, 1 store, an internet and a phone line. Not sure how the jobs work really but you could always do online jobs such as teaching english etc. You'd have to build a house too.

No way I could go there now, but it sounds like an adventure in fairness. What do you guys think?

https://www.immigration.gov.pn/faq/index.html

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber
9 hours ago, Blue said:

So I've been reading up on the least populated settlement in the world and it seems like a fascinating place to live. They give you a plot of land with British law (I believe) with at least 1 school, 1 store, an internet and a phone line. Not sure how the jobs work really but you could always do online jobs such as teaching english etc. You'd have to build a house too.

No way I could go there now, but it sounds like an adventure in fairness. What do you guys think?

https://www.immigration.gov.pn/faq/index.html

Not with that internet of theirs... 512kb/s satellite connection shared between all inhabitants, at a price of NZ$100 for 2 GB data, and even more expensive afterwards, haha. Electricity comes from diesel generators, so it's also not available 24/7.

It does sound like an adventure, not really a fun one, though. Life on an island is extremely hard, there are barely any jobs, and the pay for them is extremely low (I read that an annual salary in a Treasury is around NZ$5000 ). So you would have to rely on being able to grow your own food and pretty much do all the work on your house/garden yourself. Not to mention that you're also expected to contribute to and to help with the upkeep of the island. There's only one general store with the supplies coming every 3 months, there's no bar, no restaurant, no entertainment, and barely any medical care. You're truly stuck in a middle of nowhere with around 50 people, isolated from the rest of the world with absolutely nothing to do and nowhere to go, with barely any commodities, and a lot of work for a subsistence lifestyle with no access to goods and services. Moving and settling in would also be expensive, as you are required to show sufficient fund to support yourself for the first two years, that's at least NZ$30,000 + much more for building a house, as the transportation costs of building materials (or anything else coming from outside) are exorbitant. So the way I see it, you'd be spending a lot of money and putting in a lot of work for an island lifestyle - no wonder they don't find people willing to settle there, as you can easily live on an island with much more comfortable conditions without having to spend a fortune in many other places in the world...

I think a lot of people romanticize such lifestyle, but would start going crazy after just a few months there, especially young people. 

Oh and then there's that pedophilia scandal from early 2000s that saw a third of adult male population of the island convicted and jailed.

• Subscriber
1 hour ago, Faithcore said:

It seems nudge did not enjoy her time on that island :ph34r:

No, I've never been haha, but I've researched a lot of places when I was looking to move, including a few islands in South Pacific, and this is a VERY extreme choice, which wouldn't be suitable for most people.
To be fair, living on any island long-term is not for me, anyway. A few days is very nice, a week or two is fine, but anything longer than that, and Island Fever kicks in; I hate the feeling of being stuck with nowhere to go, haha.

5 hours ago, nudge said:

Not with that internet of theirs... 512kb/s satellite connection shared between all inhabitants, at a price of NZ$100 for 2 GB data, and even more expensive afterwards, haha. Electricity comes from diesel generators, so it's also not available 24/7.

It does sound like an adventure, not really a fun one, though. Life on an island is extremely hard, there are barely any jobs, and the pay for them is extremely low (I read that an annual salary in a Treasury is around NZ$5000 ). So you would have to rely on being able to grow your own food and pretty much do all the work on your house/garden yourself. Not to mention that you're also expected to contribute to and to help with the upkeep of the island. There's only one general store with the supplies coming every 3 months, there's no bar, no restaurant, no entertainment, and barely any medical care. You're truly stuck in a middle of nowhere with around 50 people, isolated from the rest of the world with absolutely nothing to do and nowhere to go, with barely any commodities, and a lot of work for a subsistence lifestyle with no access to goods and services. Moving and settling in would also be expensive, as you are required to show sufficient fund to support yourself for the first two years, that's at least NZ$30,000 + much more for building a house, as the transportation costs of building materials (or anything else coming from outside) are exorbitant. So the way I see it, you'd be spending a lot of money and putting in a lot of work for an island lifestyle - no wonder they don't find people willing to settle there, as you can easily live on an island with much more comfortable conditions without having to spend a fortune in many other places in the world...

I think a lot of people romanticize such lifestyle, but would start going crazy after just a few months there, especially young people. 

Oh and then there's that pedophilia scandal from early 2000s that saw a third of adult male population of the island convicted and jailed.

Retirement choice then, but yeah it still sounds like an interesting adventure. They are desperate for people there haha

• Subscriber
2 minutes ago, Blue said:

Retirement choice then, but yeah it still sounds like an interesting adventure. They are desperate for people there haha

With no bar, no restaurant, no entertainment, and limited supplies coming in every three months??? Naaaah, I'm out, I want to have fun when I retire, not to grow breadfruit and raise goats on a piece of rock in the middle of nowhere :P 

Tbh maybe they should just admit that nobody is meant to live there and let themselves die out, rather than trying to run a publicity campaign to see if anyone wants go be fresh seed for an impoverished cult of semi-inbred paedophiles.

Archived