talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Mental Health

football forum

• Subscriber
3 minutes ago, Gunnersauraus said:

Ha ha its actually a reindeer. It's a bit tough. A lot of landlords don't allow cats or dogs. A dog would be cruel anyway as I work a lot. Although I have heard that the law is being changed and they can't say no because of pets anymore.

I have thought about fish but I get some days where my anxiety is really bad and I can't do anything so it would be difficult anyway when I have to clean the tank.

I have fish, you only have to clean the tank once a week at most (depending on the size of the tank), most only need a clean and a partial water change once in two weeks, and you can set up the automatic feeder if you're not at home or in a bad condition :) 

• Replies 378
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator

Feel like I've had quite a few 'down' days recently. Just a lack of motivation perhaps or maybe just a bit of a phase with this latest lockdown properly hitting in. 

9 hours ago, Gunnersauraus said:

Ha ha its actually a reindeer. It's a bit tough. A lot of landlords don't allow cats or dogs. A dog would be cruel anyway as I work a lot. Although I have heard that the law is being changed and they can't say no because of pets anymore.

I have thought about fish but I get some days where my anxiety is really bad and I can't do anything so it would be difficult anyway when I have to clean the tank.

It probably won't be as straightforward as that. There'll be conditions that come with it and it might still be landlord's prerogative to refuse pets (unless there are any mitigating circumstances where it's a pet needed for MH/assistance dogs etc). A landlord isn't going to want their property be at risk of being destroyed/ruined because their tenant doesn't/can't look after their pet and clean up after it.  

• Subscriber

So this is a story all about how my life got flip turned upside down (For the better).

My mental health was ruined a few years back. Drinking, gambling etc etc just being fake and robotic.  Putting work before my personal life and those i love. One year i'd looked back and i'd gambled 53k and won 54k. That's just not healthy, i was doing it for the sake of it as a way to escape. The only drug i've ever taken is cocaine and i had taken that quite a bit, almost every time i had a beer and started dabbling in the wrong crowds. All of this was a result of me never grieving for my Dad and just building the dark cloud in my head for years and years. 

The thing that changed me and made me start the long road  to finding the happiness and peace with myself that i have now was the  little bundle of joy i have. From the second she was born, she will never ever know just how much she changed me.

The first step was counselling, which helped.. she was amazing (and great eye candy!). Then  coming clean about my demons to everyone i love, and admitting i was depressed. I ruined the relationship with the mother of my child and we needed to be apart.Coming clean to her about everything i'd done in the 6 years we spent together was too much in the end, she tried to help but she tried to smother me in recovery. It didn't work, i needed to do it myself. So we parted ways in June  2019 when my daughter was 1.

I happily left her everything and walked into my flat with just the bag of clothes i had in my car. Month by month i built myself up buying nice things and just appreciating the smaller things in life more. From very early on in that process me and the mother of my child have got on great and as i type this now i don't know what the future will hold between me and her. I look at that person i was 2/3 years ago and genuinely it's a blur it really is.  I have tough days now but they're real and i speak about them. And i enjoy a drink again and a cheeky bet etc. I cook more, i run more, i walk more.. just like a normal boring person - which is what i am! A happy boring cunt ;) 

I understand lockdown has been tough for people, but it's been the challenge i needed and as sad as it sounds i've enjoyed being alone and then also spending more time with my daughter than i usually would with being off work at times.

After my experience i've helped a few friends in similar situations, speaking and showing that "weakness" really is so underrated. Whether it's the start of getting in a better place or to prevent you from getting there. I like to think we all enjoy this community some of us have had for a decade or more, and i would happily chat to anyone who has any struggles in life or ever feel like they need someone to speak to. :)

• 1 month later...

@Carnivore Chris

Sorry to hear about your recent experiences mate.

I know what panic attacks are like and they can be very scary and it's very difficult for someone who hasn't had them to understand. I had my fair few in my early 20s but have learned to manage them quite well, I'd recommend listening to podcasts about anxiety and that sort of area as they helped me a lot. Understanding what panic attacks are and learning the techniques and tools to deal with them will help you loads and you'll get over them or at least be able to manage them a lot better. One of my favourites is The Anxiety Podcast by Tim Collins. I think he has stopped doing them now but the episodes will always be relevant.

I can relate to what you are saying. Christmas and the holidays should be a time of rest but it's whenever I'm off work or have big changes to my routine that I go a bit off the rails mentally. It's happened again this Christmas for me which is down to the change in routine and not having a good balance. If someone's sleeping pattern, diet, and routine aren't in order, people are simply more likely to have problems with anxiety and their mental health. What I've learnt from having anxiety myself over the years and from the podcasts, books and help I've received is that you first have to look at your diet, sleeping pattern, amount of exercise, and establish routines. Start with those basics, get that routine going again, it sounds too simple but get those things in order first and the rest will get easier. The podcast I mentioned talks about this.

Work is a pain and we all have different jobs with different levels of demand and stress but in most cases, work helps give people structure and balance to their day. You can get a routine without work though and that will be my next challenge when the holidays come again.

I was wondering why I've been anxious, stressed, and sentimental recently. Well, I've just realised I've spent two weeks getting up at different times, going to bed at different times, eating and drinking at different times, eating and drinking different things, spending more time at home, not having that balance. I have to control those basics again and I'll get better.

I don't mind a few weeks off between jobs as I've always worked through agencies or as a sub contractor(self employed) in order to stay closer to home, so I'll have 2 month off per year or so, unless i stay on one job, and I try to take advantage and go fishing, go away or do whatever, but the difference is this year is that I've only done about 4 months work overall since April. It's been great for improving the Spanish(after not really using it for years) and I've even completed teaching courses recently, but there's always stress on the mind due to the current situation, which mainly comes to money and uncertainty.

In the last few months after I finished with the United Utilities (I only did 2 weeks for them, they skitzed out about new covid measures and they got rid of all the new lads). All I really did since then up until last week was expose myself to Spanish(watching films, reading, speaking to people) all the time and complete those courses, but I haven't really been going out at all and I was smoking way too much weed. I mean I've always smoked a bit of that on and off, although usually more at night and not all day, it was more to wind down after work. But that makes it worse now, so I've not been smoking it in recent days.

As for work, I do get stressed and irritated alot and this was getting worse late 2019. I'd get pissed off at work due to having too much to do and then become irritated about it when I returned home, although relaxing and having a little smoke completely solved that issue and it didn't feel like it was a problem. I think I've had mild anxiety since I was in my early 20s. But it was more just being impatient, fidgety and a bit restless when in certain situations. It could always be dealt with and never affected me enough to allow it to get to me.

So it's probably built up over time and then during these 2 months(well more 10 weeks) of not doing anything other than trying to perfect a language, and the year as a whole being as it has been, has just fucked me. 

Losing literally all the money I have(well almost) is probably the root of the problem. Having to start from scratch pretty much. 

The thing is, in the week before the attacks started happening, I was ready to get back to work in construction this month and my plan was to contact 2 local language schools and the uni in order to volunteer a few hours a week in order to gain experience, so I'd actually stopped stressing and was ready for this year. But honestly, I'm not even capable of working now, it's fucked me that much.

I've always been able to bring myself around mentally, but this time it's just overwhelmed me and it's the physical symptoms that cause it. You don't believe it's mental. 

As for the panic attacks themselves, it's even worse after it as you feel like shit for hours, then you'll have another. It makes you think it's all physical and it's hard to take it off your mind, even when there isn't pain. I didn't have one yesterday though and only had a minor one this afternoon, but it took like 4 hours after it to properly come around.

How regularly did you have them? 

Yeah man, I know how you feel.

For me personally, they came on during some difficult moments in my life (early/mid-twenties) where my anxiety was high and at the time because they were new experiences for me and I didn't understand them or my anxiety it made them worse. I remember going to the hospital twice because of panic attacks/anxiety on two separate occasions. Both times the doctors did all the checks, I was full of worry, only for the doctor to turn around and say you're alright, there's nothing wrong. I can't actually remember the last one I had off the top of my head but I believe I've felt them coming on at some points since the bad episodes in the past but I've managed to compose myself and shrug them off. That ability has mainly come through getting help and learning about the panic attacks and anxiety in general. 

I'm of the opinion at least that anxiety will never go away completely but panic attacks on the other hand are very manageable and can be eradicated completely with the right guidance and help. 

• 4 weeks later...
25 minutes ago, Gunnersauraus said:

My mental health is really bad at the moment. Been self harming a lot and overdosing on medication. Gonna ring the doctor tomorrow 

Hang in there buddy, and definitely seek help if you need it.

If COVID is playing a role, take heart in the fact you're in the back end of winter now. Through the worst of it. COVID subsides alot as the weather improves. More vaccinations ramping up. And already probably 20% immunity in the UK... I think you guys will soon have a really encouraging trajectory and can look forward to much improved spring and summer. 

In Australia we're back in a normal situation and have been since (Southern hemisphere) winter subsided in August. That's where you guys are almost at now. 

• Subscriber
19 hours ago, Gunnersauraus said:

My mental health is really bad at the moment. Been self harming a lot and overdosing on medication. Gonna ring the doctor tomorrow 

Stay strong man. You're not weak, you're a man and strong for admitting those things. 

I don't know you and have never spoken to you, but we're all a family on here in my eyes.  

Drop me any PM'S if you ever need anyone to speak to. I've been through a hell of a lot in life and I guarantee I can relate to the mental side of things and would happily speak to you, whether it's happy, sad, aggressive or funny.

You're never alone, there's always people here to speak to. Whether that's family in real life or strangers who insult you on here ;). Stay strong brother! 

Well I spoke to a nurse practitioner this morning. I'm having a face to face meeting with a doctor on Tuesday. The reason it is face to face is because self harm is obviously quite dangerous. Found a website where I can talk to people who are also struggling so that is helping. Hopefully I am through the worst of it. I'm  not pushing myself to much just trying  to get through the day. If things are a  bit messy that is fine I can clean the place another time. If I try to do to much I will have a panic attack so have to just do what I can.

• Administrator
18 minutes ago, Gunnersauraus said:

Well I spoke to a nurse practitioner this morning. I'm having a face to face meeting with a doctor on Tuesday. The reason it is face to face is because self harm is obviously quite dangerous. Found a website where I can talk to people who are also struggling so that is helping. Hopefully I am through the worst of it. I'm  not pushing myself to much just trying  to get through the day. If things are a  bit messy that is fine I can clean the place another time. If I try to do to much I will have a panic attack so have to just do what I can.

Funnily enough I read this tweet shortly after we spoke.

1 hour ago, Gunnersauraus said:

I hope you will feel better soon. I do have a past with mental illness, I suffered from depression for the majority of my teenage and adult life, and I know all about anxiety and panic attacks. When it comes to self harm, and treating your own body like shit, just think about the future. Even if it maybe looks  bleak now, it won't be bleak forever. We live on a beautiful planet where life can throw us opportunities and unexpected chances every day. I don't actually know your relationship status, but you could meet someone special tomorrow, or next week, or next month. Doesn't even have to be something romantic. Or maybe you find a new hobby or get job opportunity or whatever. But you need to be ready for that, and for that you need a healthy body. If you self harm or overdose, you'll naturally feel like shit, because that's a short term solution, and in the long run you'll suffer even more if you feel physically shit. There's some truth to that saying "healthy body, healthy mind". If your mind is a bit wobbly or rough at the moment, and you continue to treat your body like shit, your mind won't get better. Anyway, I hope the doctor can help you and give you some pointers right away. All the best. 

One good thing is that mental health has come so far in the last 10 to 20 years. I'm sure people who are in their late 20s to 30s realise that. Years ago people never use to talk about it. Especially men. A lot of older people say things were better years ago but in many ways they are much better now. 

I just got to get through this bit any then it will be better. This is one of the worst issues I have ever had so can only get better. I feel a bit selfish in a way. People are dying and losing their homes and I'm in a nice house and I'm struggling.

1 hour ago, Gunnersauraus said:

Sorry to hear that mate. I'm always in a depressive state but never quite at what you are currently saying.

6 minutes ago, Gunnersauraus said:

One good thing is that mental health has come so far in the last 10 to 20 years. I'm sure people who are in their late 20s to 30s realise that. Years ago people never use to talk about it. Especially men. A lot of older people say things were better years ago but in many ways they are much better now. 

I just got to get through this bit any then it will be better. This is one of the worst issues I have ever had so can only get better. I feel a bit selfish in a way. People are dying and losing their homes and I'm in a nice house and I'm struggling.

You’re not being selfish. You’re being strong. Opening up here is brave and I hope you’re feeling better mate. Hang in there, things get better :) 

19 hours ago, Gunnersauraus said:

Even on building sites there is a big deal made of mental health nowadays and people aren't afraid to discuss it anymore.

In fact on a site I was on for the most of 2019 and they had 2 ex-professional rugby players giving a talk about it, which got us out of work for a few hours. They were pretty big names too yet had suffered some terrible mental health problems due to being inactive with injuries, so anyone can suffer. Rich, poor, male, female, young or old. As a non-Rugby fan they were strangers to me, although one had made plenty of apps for England and another for Australia, so they must have been pretty big names in their sport. 

It takes a man to admit they have a problem, but many men don't speak about it as they feel as though it makes them less "masculine". This is why suicide is higher among young men than women, who are more open in this regard. But it shouldn't be this way. 

Try CBD also mate. It comes in oil, edibles, you can even buy the buds nowadays if you smoke/have a dry herb vaporiser, although I wouldn't recommend smoking anything if you don't already because anything you combust isn't going to be great for the lungs, albeit it still obviously not being as horrible as tobacco.

It's cannabis with no THC(the psychoactive compound), but high levels of CBD. No side effects and no withdrawal effects if you stop consuming it...

You'd be better off with the oil yourself, but I smoke or vape the flower as I've been using it to get off THC and it's worked.

52580954f2c02eeab96d3d8bfcec8bd7eb23fdf6

High grade CBD. It has no psychoactive effects at all since it contains practically no THC, although it enables you to relax, clears your mind and is way better for you than any pharmaceutical drug. Maybe it won't work for you, but it's worth a try as it does work for many others. 

As I said though, maybe the oils and sprays would work better for you. Obviously they don't sell the buds in chemists(I buy that special delivery) but they sell the sprays and oils. There are also special CBD shops which specialise in it.

Also try taking up a hobby such as fishing, golf, weight lifting, anything active. Even bird watching..being out in nature is always great for you.

• Subscriber
5 hours ago, Carnivore Chris said:

Even on building sites there is a big deal made of mental health nowadays and people aren't afraid to discuss it anymore.

In fact on a site I was on for the most of 2019 and they had 2 ex-professional rugby players giving a talk about it, which got us out of work for a few hours. They were pretty big names too yet had suffered some terrible mental health problems due to being inactive with injuries, so anyone can suffer. Rich, poor, male, female, young or old. As a non-Rugby fan they were strangers to me, although one had made plenty of apps for England and another for Australia, so they must have been pretty big names in their sport. 

It takes a man to admit they have a problem, but many men don't speak about it as they feel as though it makes them less "masculine". This is why suicide is higher among young men than women, who are more open in this regard. But it shouldn't be this way. 

Try CBD also mate. It comes in oil, edibles, you can even buy the buds nowadays if you smoke/have a dry herb vaporiser, although I wouldn't recommend smoking anything if you don't already because anything you combust isn't going to be great for the lungs, albeit it still obviously not being as horrible as tobacco.

It's cannabis with no THC(the psychoactive compound), but high levels of CBD. No side effects and no withdrawal effects if you stop consuming it...

You'd be better off with the oil yourself, but I smoke or vape the flower as I've been using it to get off THC and it's worked.

52580954f2c02eeab96d3d8bfcec8bd7eb23fdf6

High grade CBD. It has no psychoactive effects at all since it contains practically no THC, although it enables you to relax, clears your mind and is way better for you than any pharmaceutical drug. Maybe it won't work for you, but it's worth a try as it does work for many others. 

As I said though, maybe the oils and sprays would work better for you. Obviously they don't sell the buds in chemists(I buy that special delivery) but they sell the sprays and oils. There are also special CBD shops which specialise in it.

Also try taking up a hobby such as fishing, golf, weight lifting, anything active. Even bird watching..being out in nature is always great for you.

I’ve been private messaging a boxer called Anthony Fowler on Twitter. (Check me out) haha he’s actually really good and fights on sky.. on and off for weeks. He’s like an advocate for a CBD company and gives fans discounts. I’ve never been massively into weed. Alcohol is my vice but I’ve got good mates who don’t drink at all and love their weed. Stoners like you haha. But yeah I’ve looked into CBD myself and through chatting to him on ordering a starter kit and gonna try it. Some liquid to put on your tea and coffee, some sweets etc. Heard so many good things about CBD so gonna try it. As I have anxiety and down days and fatigue etc quite a lot. But still feel consistently happy with life as it’s real and I can speak about it like now and the cheesy post I made in here when I made my return. I’d have never have spoken about it or openly admitted those things years ago. I’m getting away from my point here but yeah I’m gonna try the CBD. Let you know how it is ;)

@Gunnersauraus you should be proud of yourself mate. Takes a real man to openly admit their faults and weaknesses knowing they have to change for the better. Keep speaking about it and getting stuff off your chest. Stay strong :) 

Today has not been a good day for my mental health. I am tired of fighting because someone wants to respond sarcastically or trying to convince others why I have a case, but being told to "stop crying". Humans are insufferable cunts. I need to get away.

• Administrator
1 minute ago, Mpache said:

Morro Garcia dies at the age of 30. Committed suicide. I don't want to hear from anyone that mental health care is good. We have a long way to go still.

Why not?

What if some MH services have helped people? Is it not good?

Obviously this death is very tragic and for someone so young makes it almost more so, too. Always terrible to hear of someone taking their own life, whatever age but especially when that young.

Archived