The better place to talk football.

Mental Health

football forum

• Replies 378
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Danny said:

@carefreeluke @nudge @Panflute

I had CBT for OCD a couple of years ago and it was great for managing OCD, vocalising intrusive thoughts takes a lot of power away from them. Diary keeping was good also as it acts as defence mechanism for whenever you worry about a certain issue going wrong, you can refer back to the diary and have proof that it wasn’t actually that bad, this will try to slowly reshape how you think. Being able to get into a position where you can recognise that you can choose whether or not to be anxious on a day is life changing.

Personally I think I respond better to more CBT based ways of dealing with my OCD, I read something a couple of years ago when I first posted this topic actually and it was about neural pathways and essentially viewing your mind like an open field with knee length grass. Your entire life you have taken the same route in your mind and often without realising, so if something goes wrong you react to it in the same way you always have which could be severe anxiety for example. So when something like morning/pre-work anxiety kicks in and you’re dreading going in to try and stop that you visualise the field and the neural pathway your brain is automatically trying to take which is heavily anxious and instead you walk down a new pathway, creating a calmer and more relaxing way to pass through it. This is meant to help you view the feelings of anxiety not as something that is almost permenant or even necessary for work, but as a pathway your brain has been taking you down for most of your life when you have began to worry about something and that if this visualisation works for you, it now allows you the chance to choose not to be anxious in the moment and become aware you can take the same journey to work, go through the same day and issues that naturally arise at work without feeling like going to work and having anxiety go hand in hand.

Not sure if I explained the above well enough or if it sounds wishy washy but point of it is that your brain automatically tries to make you anxious as that’s how it’s learnt to deal with specific situations, being able to understand and change that process means that even once you’ve started to feel anxious you can adjust your thought process and with that hopefully your anxiety 

CBT can indeed be very useful. I received a treatment for severe hypochondria in my late teens, and it almost completely cured it within a matter of months. Of course 'curing' is the wrong word to use here as we will always carry these things with us in some capacity, but I am at least able to take those impulses which are still present and redirect them onto a path where these thoughts do no harm before fading away quickly. The simple act of having written down the entire process behind "oh, I think I have a lethal disease without any reason, but I still believe it to be true" contributed a lot to that. So yeah, what you says makes a lot of sense: the anxiety will still kick in from time to time, but you have built up a set of skills that helps you nip it in the bud.

I also tried CBT for some other issues, but it didn't work so well there. Still, when something is really bothering me, I often splash my thoughts into a word document just to give myself some relief, and it helps takes the edge off things a lot of the time.

All in the mind..

I was diagnosed with breast cancer. I truly believed in my heart, with my strong faith, that I was already healed. Each day I would say, "thank you for my healing." On and on I went, "thank you for my healing." I believed in my heart I was healed. I saw myself as if cancer was never in my body.

One of the things I did to heal myself was to watch very funny movies. That's all we would do was just laugh, laugh, and laugh. We couldn't afford to put any stress in my life, because we knew stress was one of the worst things you can do while you're trying to heal yourself.

From the time I was diagnosed to the time I was healed was approximately three months. And that's without any radiation or chemotherapy. 

• 2 months later...
On 13/12/2019 at 05:30, Azeem said:

I'm getting worked up a lot about things from pasts like family problems, failures etc these days. I know these things are so little and mean nothing but still i keep thinking about them. 

Anxiety coming out to play. Do nice things with people and distract yourself 

1 hour ago, Carnivore Chris said:

3. The pressure of living in a country where the cost of living rises continuously but the wages don't, this leads people to working far more hours than they should be doing.

Think this one falls massively under the radar. I know for myself that how busy or stressful work is can have a massive impact on my mental wellbeing overall. Even when things are a bit shit elsewhere having a quiet week at work or sound colleagues helps a lot, can feel like a sanctuary almost at times.

I also believe the pressure on youngsters these days about progressing near-perpetually doesn't help. Nothing wrong with settling down a bit and working out what you truly want to do. Seems now that anyone not on a grad scheme and MD by the age of 40 has fucked it. 

• 2 months later...
4 minutes ago, Azeem said:

Health care, economy, public perception top of my head

I doubt it. People don't learn from this shit. It will end and we will continue making the same mistakes we always do.

It's like mental health. People talk and talk about how it needs to receive more respect and it never does.

1 minute ago, Inti Brian said:

I doubt it. People don't learn from this shit. It will end and we will continue making the same mistakes we always do.

It's like mental health. People talk and talk about how it needs to receive more respect and it never does.

Huh? I'd imagine that we are miles ahead in battling the mental health crisis compared to where we were a hundred years ago. Hell, even the fact that people can openly discuss it and have open conversations about it is a massive step. 

• Subscriber
5 minutes ago, Eco said:

Huh? I'd imagine that we are miles ahead in battling the mental health crisis compared to where we were a hundred years ago. Hell, even the fact that people can openly discuss it and have open conversations about it is a massive step. 

Miles ahead even compared to how it was just 20 years ago. 

5 minutes ago, Eco said:

It might be better than 100 years ago but as someone who has mental health issues, I can assure you that there's nothing done by the casual population. People just say what they think is right but never actually do anything about it.

I block/get blocked by people all the time on social media because of my instability. They say they know how to react, but then they do whatever. Maybe people who actually work in the industry do well, but other humans don't help matters!

2 minutes ago, Inti Brian said:

It might be better than 100 years ago but as someone who has mental health issues, I can assure you that there's nothing done by the casual population. People just say what they think is right but never actually do anything about it.

I block/get blocked by people all the time on social media because of my instability. They say they know how to react, but then they do whatever. Maybe people who actually work in the industry do well, but other humans don't help matters!

People may block you for many reasons (annoying, needy, overly combative), but that isn't in relation to your mental health. 

Just now, Eco said:

People may block you for many reasons (annoying, needy, overly combative), but that isn't in relation to your mental health. 

How though?

Correct me if I'm wrong but instability has to do with mental health. That is related to being annoying and needy. I have a very bad judgement in reading people and you well know that.

Again, I'm sure people in the industry are doing a great job. I still think the casual human doesn't do enough though. Not like they need to but at they at least need more awareness.

• Subscriber
19 minutes ago, Inti Brian said:

I really don't agree on the mental health point at all and I'm sorry you've had problems online with people relating to mental health etc. From what I can see, people are much more open to talking about it, offering support and generally there's just a better understanding of different areas of mental health. The stigma is still there but if it carries on how it is now, it'll eradicate in time.

Back to Coronavirus, it hadn't really occured to me what lasting effect it could or will have. 

I strongly disagree with the notion there is lots of awareness on mental health. People don't understand and don't want to.

Every time there is a suicide people say "oh no that's horrible" then they go on eating their dinners (let's see who gets that reference)

My point is that when there is a suicide, people feel horrible or guilty for a few weeks then they go back to bullying, ignoring or whatever is in question. That is if they stop at all. There is no sympathy from a casual. 

12 minutes ago, Inti Brian said:

How though?

Correct me if I'm wrong but instability has to do with mental health. That is related to being annoying and needy. I have a very bad judgement in reading people and you well know that.

Again, I'm sure people in the industry are doing a great job. I still think the casual human doesn't do enough though. Not like they need to but at they at least need more awareness.

Because it's social media, and so who wants to always be battling with someone who is so combative, especially on a platform like TF365 where we choose to be here and enjoy ourselves? 

In point, social media doesn't matter. 

You have access to more resources, more studies, more medicines (if you choose to go that route), and overall more understanding of mental health than you were 10-20 years ago. 

6 minutes ago, Inti Brian said:

I strongly disagree with the notion there is lots of awareness on mental health. People don't understand and don't want to.

Every time there is a suicide people say "oh no that's horrible" then they go on eating their dinners (let's see who gets that reference)

My point is that when there is a suicide, people feel horrible or guilty for a few weeks then they go back to bullying, ignoring or whatever is in question. That is if they stop at all. There is no sympathy from a casual. 

That is utter dross and you know it. 

1 minute ago, Eco said:

Because it's social media, and so who wants to always be battling with someone who is so combative, especially on a platform like TF365 where we choose to be here and enjoy ourselves? 

In point, social media doesn't matter. 

You have access to more resources, more studies, more medicines (if you choose to go that route), and overall more understanding of mental health than you were 10-20 years ago. 

The bolded part is true. I put more of an emphasis on it than I should in truth. It's not much different in real life though. It's a long story, but in short I get treated as a weak link and people don't seem to understand.

People who actually work in mental health are doing fine, but in terms of awareness, we still have a long way to go I'm afraid. I'm not going to pretend you don't suffer through depression (I'm sure right now you are having that issue due to your recent split) and I obviously don't know what goes on in your life, but I've had mental health problems for most of my life. Judging from what I read here, you're a lot mentally stronger than me though. 

Just now, Cicero said:

That is utter dross and you know it. 

I've been mentally weak most of my life and have had depression many times. Every other year really. I think I would know what is true and what isn't.

Eco is right in that there is medicines and resources for it, but in terms of awareness? Casuals not working in the industry don't understand. A few of my older friends who I'd tried to fix things with and not be their enemies just want nothing to do with me. That I'm "toxic" and whatnot. 

11 minutes ago, Inti Brian said:

The world doesn’t stop turning just because someone’s offed themselves.

Just for the record, I've been called toxic, instable, freak countless times.

They knew well I had mental health problems and they still do it. That's not awareness. If it is, then the world is in more problems than I thought.

Archived