talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Loris Karius - Istanbul bound with Besiktas

Some morons on twitter are saying we're doing a swap with Chelsea, Karius for Cahill. I don't know why either club would do that... but I'd be okay with it. Cahill's past it but he's probably still better than Matip.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Some morons on twitter are saying we're doing a swap with Chelsea, Karius for Cahill. I don't know why either club would do that... but I'd be okay with it. Cahill's past it but he's probably still better than Matip.

Stop it xD

2 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

I know you're just fishing, but I'm going to bite. 

You do realise we are not( and I'm sure you'd very much enjoy it) actually going to consider bring Cech back as our #1 or Karius to replace Courtois? xD

3 minutes ago, Cicero said:

You do realise we are not( and I'm sure you'd very much enjoy it) actually going to consider bring Cech back as our #1 or Karius to replace Courtois? xD

I didn’t make the Karius rumour up, I even called the people saying it morons on Twitter  & yeah I’m not serious about the Cech thing xD

12 hours ago, Cicero said:

Be funny though.

• 1 month later...
10 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

Bet he's absolutely class in Turkey xD.

Its a harsh enviromment but itll make a man of him hopefully. Unless Allison is complete dogshit, it's unlikely that Karius is going to make it at this club. Shame because he was largely really good last season, one game of football has shaped the direction of his whole career. 

Fair play to Liverpool and himself for getting out of the firing line. 

I fancy this is the last we’ll see of him on these shores, which might not be a bad thing for him, though, that night will ultimately follow him till the day he retires, and most likely, till the day he dies. He’ll always be remembered as having a shocker in the Champions League Final. 

1 minute ago, LFCMike said:

Interesting to see who number two is this season. Mignolet surely won't want to stay around as number 2 again. I have no idea what the two U23 keepers are like who played in pre season

Ah, explained here:

Liverpool keeper Loris Karius is set to join Besiktas on a two-year loan.

The Reds are in advanced talks with the Turkish outfit, who would be obligated to buy the German shot-stopper in 2020 if certain performance criteria are met.

Karius remains with Jurgen Klopp’s squad ahead of Monday night’s Premier League clash at Crystal Palace, but if the 25-year-old accepts the move to Besiktas then the deal should be completed in the next 24 hours.

His exit is likely to mean that Simon Mignolet stays put as Alisson Becker’s No 2.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/loris-karius-liverpool-career-looks-15052190.amp

I loathe the fact that Mignolet is still here. Just shows you that either he is a gobshite who lied about wanting to play first team football...on No cunt wanted him. 

Poor Karius, one night of football on the biggest stage got the better of him and it's fucked his chances here. If I were him I'd reject the move if it's a loan to buy obligation. If he's smart he should go back to Germany where he will be loved by the fans. 

18 minutes ago, LFCMike said:

Interesting to see who number two is this season. Mignolet surely won't want to stay around as number 2 again. I have no idea what the two U23 keepers are like who played in pre season

Mignolet will be number two. The club have tried to sell him, but understandably no one's biting, so they've shifted Karius instead because it wouldn't make sense to have them both around as well as Alisson. All goes back to the stupid decision Klopp made when he first joined to give Mignolet a 5 year extension on (relatively) big money. The argument at the time was that it was to protect his value, but even then it was clear he wasn't good enough and his value was negligible anyway.

It's a 2 year loan banking us £2.5m with the obligation for them to buy on a permanent deal if certain clauses are met (appearances and CL qualification) which will bank us another £7.25m adding up to a total of £9.75m if everything goes through as planned. 

Migs will stay as number 2. There were a few clubs interested in taking Migs actually (Basiktas & Napoli) but his high wages plus the £12m we wanted for him put the kibosh on that. Loaning Migs was never considered. 

Migs' high wage demands also put off Fulham. 

Anyways, I am strangely more relaxed with Migs as our number two than Karius. But you gotta feel sad for the German. Hope he sorts things out in Turkey. It's a hostile league to go to. Thought going back to Germany would have been better. 

6 minutes ago, Rick said:

I loathe the fact that Mignolet is still here. Just shows you that either he is a gobshite who lied about wanting to play first team football...on No cunt wanted him. 

Poor Karius, one night of football on the biggest stage got the better of him and it's fucked his chances here. If I were him I'd reject the move if it's a loan to buy obligation. If he's smart he should go back to Germany where he will be loved by the fans. 

It's the clubs fault for giving him starting keeper wages when they recently extended his contract - his wages have proven an impediment, because his agent met with a number of clubs over the summer. These guys have short careers and the money they make can provide for their family for a very long time, and if they're wise with their money and invest well their already insane amount of money can exponentially grown. I don't blame him for wanting to make the most money he can out of his career. It's the club's fault for giving him so many second chances and a second contract, even though it's abundantly clear he's not been good enough since his first season.

I'm not too fussed with Mignolet as a backup. He's not the best keeper in the world, obviously, he's also not the worst. Compare him to other backups at clubs around us in the league and he's pretty much statistically the same. I don't even think there was that much of a difference between Mignolet and Karius, other than Karius cut out a lot more errors in the second half of last season. But that was also when we had VvD, so that might be covering over some flaws in his performance as well.

I think this is a good move for Karius. It's a bit out of the spotlight in terms of most fans of the big leagues aren't really all that familiar with the Turksih leagues, while still at a big enough club to where if he does well he'll be noticed and he can get a chance to get a move back to a decent club in a bigger league. Besiktas have a long history of totally shite keepers, so Karius being slightly better than average with the odd error in him is a big improvement to what they're used to. The obligation to buy is triggered based off things like how Besiktas performs, how he performs, and numbers of appearances.

I've got no issue with letting one of either of them go this season. I think we still need an experienced backup, and that's why we've got to keep Mignolet… at least until January... but being one injury away from having to play a kid in goal, where experience is a huge difference maker, is too risky for my liking. And Karius is obviously the easier to move, he's probably on less money and his reputation of being not all that great is pretty new compared to Karius, who's managed to stay on for 6 seasons despite looking out of his depth as a starter midway through his first season.

9 minutes ago, IgnisExcubitor said:

Migs' high wage demands also put off Fulham. 

Anyways, I am strangely more relaxed with Migs as our number two than Karius. But you gotta feel sad for the German. Hope he sorts things out in Turkey. It's a hostile league to go to. Thought going back to Germany would have been better. 

I am too. I think it's because Karius playing for Liverpool again after the final is inevitably going to result in him being under a microscope for us - he was already struggling with that in pre-season matches. It'd be worse in a competitive match. I think it's best for us and for him to get the hell away from that sort of pressure and expectation of failure - which probably means getting out of England. I don't know how badly his reputation's been affected by the final in other big leagues, but clearly in Spain where players of their national team were mocking him/De Gea… it doesn't look like he'd be able to escape it there. And in Germany, I imagine it looks like he left for greener pastures and then had to come back with his tail between his legs because of those errors. And I think by going to Germany, a pretty big league but not watched as frequently as others in Europe, and at a big team in that league, at a club that's had some pretty bad keepers over the years... it sets him up to sort of rebuild without being as much under the microscope.

I do feel for him though. He did well to win the starting job last season, but the way he lost it was pretty fucking brutal.

58 minutes ago, LFCMadLad said:

It's a 2 year loan banking us £2.5m with the obligation for them to buy on a permanent deal if certain clauses are met (appearances and CL qualification) which will bank us another £7.25m adding up to a total of £9.75m if everything goes through as planned. 

Migs will stay as number 2. There were a few clubs interested in taking Migs actually (Basiktas & Napoli) but his high wages plus the £12m we wanted for him put the kibosh on that. Loaning Migs was never considered. 

I'm not sure about the price tag putting people off. Obviously no one was going to pay that, but we were pretty keen to get rid, so I'm sure that was heavily negotiable. It's more the wages being ridiculous compared to his level that was the issue, which goes back to what @Rick said about how much did he really want first team football? If the links were true (I have my doubts about the Napoli and Fulham links) taking a wage cut would've been an option for him, but obviously he didn't consider that. I've got nothing against him for trying to make as much money as he can, as Gonzo said, but it does show where his priorities lie.

34 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

I am too. I think it's because Karius playing for Liverpool again after the final is inevitably going to result in him being under a microscope for us - he was already struggling with that in pre-season matches. It'd be worse in a competitive match. I think it's best for us and for him to get the hell away from that sort of pressure and expectation of failure - which probably means getting out of England. I don't know how badly his reputation's been affected by the final in other big leagues, but clearly in Spain where players of their national team were mocking him/De Gea… it doesn't look like he'd be able to escape it there. And in Germany, I imagine it looks like he left for greener pastures and then had to come back with his tail between his legs because of those errors. And I think by going to Germany, a pretty big league but not watched as frequently as others in Europe, and at a big team in that league, at a club that's had some pretty bad keepers over the years... it sets him up to sort of rebuild without being as much under the microscope.

I do feel for him though. He did well to win the starting job last season, but the way he lost it was pretty fucking brutal.

I think you're overestimating the options Karius had to get out of Liverpool. I didn't see a single link to a club from one of Europe's top leagues, and it's perfectly understandable that they wouldn't want to touch him after he completely failed to bounce back from Kiev.

As for Mignolet being number two, it could actually end up working quite well for us. It's a well known phenomenon that he's much better when he's playing with something to prove (I think that says something about his professionalism, but I digress). As backup keeper, he'll always be playing with something to prove. Also, he could be something of an asset if it comes to penalty shootouts, although I'm not sure if the credit for that side of his game should go to him or to the prep work Achterberg has him doing.

• The topic was locked
  • The topic was unlocked

I feel bad for him, but these terrible errors are going to do nothing other than solidify his reputation as a dodgy keeper. It's a shame, because he's had good moments for us in goal last season... but you just know sooner or later he'll have some terrible howlers that'll end up being very very costly.

The problem for Karius is that he's the focus of attention... Outside Turkey nobody will care all that much what Besiktas are doing apart from awaiting an error from Loris.  The biggest issue will be that the keeper himself knows this and feels it everytime an opponent attacks his team... That in itself can't let you be yourself.  It's got to be almost totally psychological now more than anything to do with his ability as a goalkeeper.

Well after his Champions League howlers he will be in the spotlight for years. Doubt they will ever praise his good saves, rather than pointing out every howler he concedes. That goal is terrible, i bet his confidence is on the lowest of the low.

• The topic was locked

Archived