• Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Mesut Özil retires from German National Team

football forum

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber

I think the whole thing with Erdogan was highly controversial and in really poor taste, but the way Bierhoff, Grindel & Co. basically made him a scapegoat to save their own skins after the World Cup failure was even worse, and if I were him, I wouldn't play at least as long as all those clowns are still in charge (and that means like, forever?). However, to bring "racism" into it is also a cheap shot, absolutely unnecessary.

He was a joy to watch in 2010 World Cup.

Didn't expect him to retire over a picture but with how big of a deal was made of it by the German press which resulted in major scapegoating (even though he was still doing his job of creating chances) at the World Cup which in turn gave support to justifying bigotry from some sections as a way to criticise him, maybe it's not really a surprise.

From the sounds of it, the DFB handled it with total incompetence as well which seems like the main reason he no longer wants to be a part of the national team. He also made great points about the hypocrisy of the DFB (and football in general to be honest) when it comes to the morals that they preach suddenly disappearing when it comes to sponsors and "one of the boys" meeting political figures.

Either way, great news for us.

37 minutes ago, nudge said:

However, to bring "racism" into it is also a cheap shot, absolutely unnecessary.

I know you didn't mean it that way and he probably didn't either, but the vast majority of the criticism Özil is getting in Germany is a form of racism.

That picture was a very big stupidity.  Neverthelss it is very obvious that many people in Germany are happy now that they can live out what they have always thought anyway.

He gave all those people a great excuse.

There's got to be background to this and add the situation surrounding his meeting and words regarding to Erdogan... Best for both parties and if I were German I wouldn't want him representing my country at all.

1 hour ago, Faithcore said:

I know you didn't mean it that way and he probably didn't either, but the vast majority of the criticism Özil is getting in Germany is a form of racism.

That picture was a very big stupidity.  Neverthelss it is very obvious that many people in Germany are happy now that they can live out what they have always thought anyway.

He gave all those people a great excuse.

Haha, yea. Those 50-ish year old Facebook users, who never cared about football, nor do they know anything about it, but when this thing happened, oh god, were they determined that Özil and Gündogan should never play for Germany again. Making sure to share stupid pictures or statuses. It made me so mad haha. 

12 hours ago, 6666 said:

Didn't expect him to retire over a picture but with how big of a deal was made of it by the German press which resulted in major scapegoating (even though he was still doing his job of creating chances) at the World Cup which in turn gave support to justifying bigotry from some sections as a way to criticise him, maybe it's not really a surprise.

From the sounds of it, the DFB handled it with total incompetence as well which seems like the main reason he no longer wants to be a part of the national team. He also made great points about the hypocrisy of the DFB (and football in general to be honest) when it comes to the morals that they preach suddenly disappearing when it comes to sponsors and "one of the boys" meeting political figures.

Either way, great news for us.

Some of the criticism he got was over the top and motivated by racism, but that doesn´t mean he created chances during the World Cup, he didn´t; not for his team at least.  In fact he played as desastrous as Müller and isn´t  a loss for the national team, if he plays like he did at the World Cup. Get off your Arsenal tinted glasses.

10 hours ago, SirBalon said:

There's got to be background to this and add the situation surrounding his meeting and words regarding to Erdogan... Best for both parties and if I were German I wouldn't want him representing my country at all.

Ozil is more Turkish than German, Which I think is what is causing the problem.  The recent surge of immigration in Germany makes Ozil and other players with mixed backgrounds an easy Target.    

The publicity with Erodgun was wrong though due to the fact Erodgun had fallen out with Merkel and other leaders over is election campaign, it was very poor timing.

• Subscriber

Uli Hoeneß strikes again, brutal xD 

Hoeness says Özil is using the Erdogan scandal to hide his poor performances

Bayern Munich’s president declared that Mesut Özil has “played like crap” for years, and he welcomes the player’s decision to quit.

In public remarks reported by German outlets Sport 1 and Sport Bild, Bayern Munich president Uli Hoeneß welcomed Mesut Özil’s resignation from the German national team with harsh criticism of the controversial player’s contributions. Shortly before departing with Bayern Munich on their tour of the USA, Hoeneß alleged that Özil is using his poor treatment by the DFB as a screen for his own poor performances (Sport1):

That is great for the German national team for competitive reasons. In my view, Özil has been a player MIA for years. He’s [resigning] on the pretense of his allegedly poor treatment by the DFB, but he should ask himself when the last time he won a one-on-one was. It’s been years.

Hoeneß doubled down on the idea in a followup statement, claiming that Özil is using the Erdogan scandal to deflect blame from his performances to DFB President Reinhard Grindel or national team manager Oliver Biefhoff:

For the new beginning, it’s super that he’s now finally quitting. Already at the World Cup2014, he was no more than a fellow traveler and not far from being cut. The others [on the team] pulled him through the final. Now he’s hidden himself nicely behind the Erdogan story. He’s played like crap for years and now Grindel or Bierhoff are supposed to be to blame.

SportBild’s Tobias Altschäffl reported further comments via Twitter (here, here, and here and now also on SportBild itself) in which Hoeneß expressed himself even more bluntly:

I’m glad the fuss is over. He’s played like crap for years. The last one-on-one he won was before the World Cup 2014. And now he’s hiding himself and his shit performance behind this photo.

Hoeneß reinforced his withering opinion of Özil’s abilities by alleging that Bayern Munich always targeted him in games against Arsenal. “Always when we played against Arsenal,” Hoeness said, “we played over him, because we knew that is their weak point. And Hoeneß even questioned the existence of Özil’s fans and their knowledge of soccer, saying, “His 35 million fanboys — who of course don’t exist in the real world — get worked up that Özil has played amazingly when he successfully makes a cross to his target.”

Speaking more broadly, Hoeneß framed his harsh criticism of Özil’s ability as a player as a reductionist answer to the toxic political atmosphere in Germany and the DFB highlighted by Özil’s allegations of racism:

The development in our country is a disaster. You have to reduce it back to what it is: sports. And in sports terms, Özil has not contributed anything to the national team in years!

It would thus appear that, in the view of Bayern Munich’s president, Özil’s widely reported statement has no basis in reality but instead is something of a preemptive strike to cover his imminent dismissal from the team on account of his ineffective play.

https://www.bavarianfootballworks.com/2018/7/23/17601852/bayern-munich-uli-hoeness-mesut-ozil-erdogan-arsenal-german-national-team-dfb-grindel-bierhoff

32 minutes ago, Panna King said:

Ozil is more Turkish than German, Which I think is what is causing the problem.  The recent surge of immigration in Germany makes Ozil and other players with mixed backgrounds an easy Target.    

The publicity with Erodgun was wrong though due to the fact Erodgun had fallen out with Merkel and other leaders over is election campaign, it was very poor timing.

I have no idea why anyone in their right mind would want to let Özil or any high profile sportsman/woman off lightly when they do what both he and Gundogan did.  There is absolutely no reason whatsoever for a sportsperson (much less a high profile one) to opt (accept) to be pictured with a political figure unless it's when you win something at international level and the protocol marks that the customary picture is done with the government and head of state of the country he or she REPRESENTS as a sportsperson.  Even worse, much worse when it's the head of state of another country and top it off with the fact they're a controversial figure like Erdogan.

The only way (on the controversial part with being pictured with Erdogan) you can be let off slightly (I mean slightly) is if you are unaware of what's going on around you in the world which leads to such an innocent situation like this one.  But come oooooon!  Nobody is going to really go down that route anyway.  Top it all off with the words Gundogan wrote/said and we have a very sensitive moment and something that completely becomes a question of political and patriotic levels.

Unless it's shown that both those players were forced to do the picture and Gundogan threatened to write/say those words, then all the criticism is valid and just, all of what's occurred surrounding this situation is completely normal and in truth neither of the two players should've been permitted to continue in the German squad representing Germany and the DBF.  That's the way it should've been and everything else is just reaping what you sow.

• Subscriber

It was naive getting involved with the Turkish president and I don't know what's been said about him in the German press but it still shows some backbone to speak out in this way and he gets his point across in a fair and mature manner. The response from the DFB guy nudge posted falls a long way short of Ozils statement and shouldn't be taken seriously at all. One step above petty name calling.

• Subscriber
1 minute ago, RandoEFC said:

It was naive getting involved with the Turkish president and I don't know what's been said about him in the German press but it still shows some backbone to speak out in this way and he gets his point across in a fair and mature manner. The response from the DFB guy nudge posted falls a long way short of Ozils statement and shouldn't be taken seriously at all. One step above petty name calling.

No no, that's Uli Hoeneß, Bayern's president, hehe. He's always like that with everyone.

Very sad for Mesut that he has felt the need to do that. I honestly think the whole situation has been blown way out of proportion and it's just another example of today's "everything offends me" society. I understand it may not have been the best move at the time, but Ozil has met with Erdogan many times before and that was never brought up as an issue. The DFB could have dealt with this so much better, I do hope for everyone a resolution to the matter happens.

Also Hoeness is an absolute embarrasment for that statement, the bloke is a criminal and has the audacity to call out others. He is an absolute cretin.

8 hours ago, Rucksackfranzose said:

Some of the criticism he got was over the top and motivated by racism, but that doesn´t mean he created chances during the World Cup, he didn´t; not for his team at least.  In fact he played as desastrous as Müller and isn´t  a loss for the national team, if he plays like he did at the World Cup. Get off your Arsenal tinted glasses.

Actually I have to disagree on that one. At least against South Korea he was our best player IMO.

He was the only one who actually created chances in that match. Werner and most of all Hummels had great opportunities to score. Both of those chances were created by Özil.

1 hour ago, Devon Von Devon said:

I wonder if this made the news in the West.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcROwcuViJtVtYJEN7itsD3

Bollywood stars taking selfies with another controversial figure Nethanyahu.

That's wrong too but can't comment on it if it isn't made public like you say. One thing is for sure, taking this down a route that alludes to connotations about religion or an anti-Islamic motive is also wrong. Erdogan happens to be a controversial figure and both Özil and Gundogan are both German with Turkish origins.

I’m glad the fuss is over. He’s played like crap for years. The last one-on-one he won was before the World Cup 2014. And now he’s hiding himself and his shit performance behind this photo.

Let's not piss about then, feel free to speak up and say what's on your mind... 

Do German people know how to correctly apply subtlety via written or verbal communications.. ??? 

Image result for I think not gif

• Subscriber
25 minutes ago, Bluewolf said:

Let's not piss about then, feel free to speak up and say what's on your mind... 

Do German Bavarian people know how to correctly apply subtlety via written or verbal communications.. ??? 

Image result for I think not gif

There, corrected it for you :D

Archived