• Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Mesut Özil retires from German National Team

football forum

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 hours ago, Rucksackfranzose said:

Some of the criticism he got was over the top and motivated by racism, but that doesn´t mean he created chances during the World Cup, he didn´t; not for his team at least.  In fact he played as desastrous as Müller and isn´t  a loss for the national team, if he plays like he did at the World Cup. Get off your Arsenal tinted glasses.

:coffee:

He did what he's there to do. I remember him specifically creating very good chances in the game against South Korea where other German players totally messed up but Özil was the one that was still blamed. Was nowhere near the worst player against Mexico either. Hummels, Boateng, Müller, Kimmich, Khedira and Werner were a lot worse during the tournament but got a fraction of the criticism. Obvious that people simply wanted to say he's not doing anything because of that photo. Take off your German narrative tinted glasses.

3 hours ago, Viva la FCB said:

It really is sad that it ends like this. They will never take away his 2010 performance, overall hes had a great international career.

2010 he was the major star of the show for Germany. He was brilliant!

Turkey president Recep Tayyip Erdogan has given his support to Mesut Ozil and says the "racist attitude" shown towards the player is not acceptable.

The Turkish Football Federation (TFF) also offered its "full support to Mesut Ozil and his family".

The TFF said in a statement: "We condemn the treatment, threats and derogatory messages that Ozil has received because of his heritage and background.

"Every player, no matter whether they are in the public eye or not, has a right to be protected from abuse, discrimination and messages expressing hate."

Erdogan added: "On Monday night I spoke to Mesut. His attitude in the statement is completely patriotic.

"It is not possible to accept this kind of racist attitude towards a young man who poured so much sweat for the German national team's success. This cannot be tolerated."

In a lengthy statement released on Monday, Ozil said he received hate mail and threats and was being blamed for Germany's disappointing group-stage exit at the World Cup.

The third-generation Turkish-German was born in Gelsenkirchen and was a key member of his country's 2014 World Cup-winning side.

He has 92 caps and has been voted the national team's player of the year five times since 2011 by fans.

"I am German when we win, but I am an immigrant when we lose," Ozil said. "I used to wear the German shirt with such pride and excitement, but now I don't."

• 1 month later...

Interesting to note the German Squad for this week now that Mesut is no longer included. I have spent many hours with young players over the years and none has been more passionate about his wish to play for his 'country' than Mesut.  His father was, at times, a pain when watching the boy as his pride at what he was doing was almost unbearable (and very noisy) and to my knowledge at no time did Mesut ever consider playing for any team other than Germany. As a kid with Manuel, Benny. Ilkay and Joel there was never any thought of him as anything other than a young German guy and his treatment at Schalke towards the end of his time there was awful - interesting that if he had been selected the German Squad would have had 6 Schalke kids - none of whom are playing in Gelsenkirchen such is the sad state of affairs in the board room there.  The Arsenal fans have given M. Wenger a hard time recently and now they must not turn that on Mesut. Confidence in a player is always determined by the support - on and off the field - he is given by his friends and supporters.  Give him that and he will repay it many many times over.  He was a super young kid, I still believe that he is still that kind of a person!

35 minutes ago, SchalkeUK said:

Interesting to note the German Squad for this week now that Mesut is no longer included. I have spent many hours with young players over the years and none has been more passionate about his wish to play for his 'country' than Mesut.  His father was, at times, a pain when watching the boy as his pride at what he was doing was almost unbearable (and very noisy) and to my knowledge at no time did Mesut ever consider playing for any team other than Germany. As a kid with Manuel, Benny. Ilkay and Joel there was never any thought of him as anything other than a young German guy and his treatment at Schalke towards the end of his time there was awful - interesting that if he had been selected the German Squad would have had 6 Schalke kids - none of whom are playing in Gelsenkirchen such is the sad state of affairs in the board room there.  The Arsenal fans have given M. Wenger a hard time recently and now they must not turn that on Mesut. Confidence in a player is always determined by the support - on and off the field - he is given by his friends and supporters.  Give him that and he will repay it many many times over.  He was a super young kid, I still believe that he is still that kind of a person!

Only someone with alt alterior motives would question any player's commitment to their country but there are things you should be wary of and careful in doing unless your aren't all that intelligent and live on a different planet.  Özil KNOWS full well how controversial the president of Turkey is in the world of politics and he also KNOWS full well the tension (maybe most of the time underlying) in Germany regarding people of Turkish origin and the influence Turkish politics seems to be having not only in Europe but mainly on Germany because of the high level of immigration in that country.  There are times when astuteness (basic levels) is invaluable.  Piqué in Spain gets similar treatment and he's born in Spain and has been vocal about how much the national side has meant to him with 100% commitment since an infant footballer and the backing of everyone involved in Spanish football as to this... Yet Piqué's big mouth has gotten him into trouble and he himself can't deny the fact that his words were badly chosen even if they have been misinterpreted.  

As for support...

Does anyone think that Arsenal supporters need or require for some weird reason a personality to pick on?  A scapegoat?

Im pretty sure many can pinpoint reasons as to why this could be the case but it's ridiculous to do so because that's not how it works when you go to a stadium to watch your team.  Fans aren't thick!  At least the majority aren't because we all know there are ridiculous elements as examples in all walks of life and football is no different in that scope.

Nobody wants to pick on Mesut Özil and what's for sure is that he hasn't taken on any mantle left over by a supposed previous Arsenal fans' victim.  There are no victims at Arsenal as there aren't at any football club.  There are only facts, there are only reasons as to how people come to conclusions and we must also look at things pragmatically in terms of how a general consensus is achieved and an opinion is determined. 

When you earn the most and you are given the highest status at a football club or in any job, it's because you are the main provider, that there's something special about you which manifests itself more times than not.  Isn't that a fair assessment on how things tend to work?  Isn't that also a just way to look at how things work?

I can assure you or anyone that questions the opinion surrounding Özil that nobody goes to The Emirates with the premeditated fore thought to give Mesut Özil stick.  That's not coherent and much less justified by anyone that knows or has a good experience of attending football matches at the club they support.  At Arsenal we are no different to any other club anywhere in the world.

From the old Highbury Stadium to the present day Emirates Stadium, the fans at Arsenal have always gone with the hope of seeing their team give their all with support given off the back of this.

Your Latin motif says it all if you are seriously convinced about the mentality of football fans being something to support in total.  It only needs one to start rubbish  and its being implemented - 1930's Adolf even 2016 Boris and Michael and their Euro corruption - very little difference in the result of their public persuasion results. My local young friends here in West Yorkshire are sometimes in tears when they see what Daiesh is doing in the name of their religion but such stuff goes on - sometimes unchecked. Mistakes are sometimes made through either ignorance or lack of forethought, but they do not necessarily determine a personality.  If that is allowed, them Man C and Man U would be banned from playing each other never mind travelling to Anfield and Celtic and Rangers would be proscribed each season!  I lived through a period when some of the supporters of the Club I managed sent threatening and poisonous letters to a referee who sadly took his life as a result, and I would never nor could I ever defend them. Crap happens and when we deny the possibility - we are lost.  Although I find Religion difficult at my age, I still remember my Infant School teacher telling us about 'Love thy Neighbour' and still try!

Ne heus, qui non peccat, eiice primum lapis

On 23/07/2018 at 18:20, 6666 said:

:coffee:

He did what he's there to do. I remember him specifically creating very good chances in the game against South Korea where other German players totally messed up but Özil was the one that was still blamed. Was nowhere near the worst player against Mexico either. Hummels, Boateng, Müller, Kimmich, Khedira and Werner were a lot worse during the tournament but got a fraction of the criticism. Obvious that people simply wanted to say he's not doing anything because of that photo. Take off your German narrative tinted glasses.

Who blamed Özil for the defeat against SK?

Archived