talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

National Teams Thread - Rest of the World

On 14/11/2019 at 07:22, Teso dos Bichos said:

Defeated Japan and South Korea in the knockout rounds and now will face Netherlands for a spot in the final. @Eco Mexico and the usa (once they get their shit together) is and will always be above ALL AFC teams. :what:

We aren't close to Mexico's level. We just lost to an awful Canada team ffs. 

As long as the USA Federation is adamant about getting American (or naturalized Americans) as coaches, we won't be any better. 

• 1 year later...
  • Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

E5dT-LvXoAAj7A5?format=jpg&name=small

Hassan Sehata Egypt's manager of that three successive AFCON titles has retired.

Egypt had a good team back then had they qualified for one world cup during that time I bet they would've won some games at the group stages. Still legend for their team 

• 11 months later...
On 05/07/2021 at 10:21, Aladdin said:

E5dT-LvXoAAj7A5?format=jpg&name=small

Hassan Sehata Egypt's manager of that three successive AFCON titles has retired.

Egypt had a good team back then had they qualified for one world cup during that time I bet they would've won some games at the group stages. Still legend for their team 

This guy said recently that Salah has offered nothing while with Egypt. Harsh, yes he unperformed in 2018 and afterwards ( taking into account his CL final injury ) but he was their main before that.

On 13/05/2019 at 23:54, Guest said:

Wilmots?

That's a horrible appointment if it goes through. He's trash.

Whoever this was... was so fucking right. Thankfully even the FFIRI was weirdly competent at getting rid of him relatively quickly.

Wilmots existing is basically a cure for imposter syndrome for normal people. Feel like an imposter? Well you shouldn't, because whatever you do... you are definitely more competent at what you do than Wilmots is at what he does.

• 3 weeks later...

Varzesh 3 (Iran's state media channel #3, basically a channel of just BBC Sport would be the equivalent) is reporting that there are 3 names in contention to replace Skocic: a.) Ali Daei, b.) Amir Ghalenoi, c.) Javad Nekounam.

Ali Daei's a legend, but his last stint as Iran manager was shit. And he hasn't managed in football since 2019 and probably should just retire from any serious football role and stick to punditry.

Amir Ghalenoi was Iran manager from 2006-2008 and he was hated. He's rebounded a bit with Iranian club football, but most people do not want to see him as Iran manager.

Then there's Javad Nekounam, who's relatively new to football management - but he was one of the better Iran players in recent time and was Queiroz's assistant.

Queiroz isn't even being considered, which is a disappointment because changing managers right before a world cup is a bit of a disaster in the first place... but Queiroz is someone popular with the players and popular with the fans and is widely considered to be Iran's best manager in history (which is sort of funny because I remember him as being a bit shit at club football management)... so he's probably the #1 choice of most Iran fans in this disaster situation they find themselves in.

Either way, it's very shit for Iran fans because now the general consensus is: the group stage will end and we'll have 0 points.

• 2 weeks later...

Qatar is sending its team for the World Cup to a four-month training tour where they'll play friendlies. All the players have been barred from playing in the domestic league. Seems pointless, playing training friendlies over competitive league matches for a considerable period can backfire.

3 hours ago, Aladdin said:

Qatar is sending its team for the World Cup to a four-month training tour where they'll play friendlies. All the players have been barred from playing in the domestic league. Seems pointless, playing training friendlies over competitive league matches for a considerable period can backfire.

I seem to remember that Hiddink did something similar with South Korea before the 2002 world cup where they did well. But maybe it was a bit different?

34 minutes ago, Relling said:

I seem to remember that Hiddink did something similar with South Korea before the 2002 world cup where they did well. But maybe it was a bit different?

Korea's run in that WC was pretty controversial, infact I'm expecting the same this time, lots of dodgy calls for the home side.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
4 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Roberto Martinez appointed manager of Portugal. How do you feel about that @Machado - because I think if I were Portuguese I'd hate this.

Not livid but not excited either. It's hard to play worse football than we did though so pretty much any change would be welcomed.

The conversation in Portugal right now is more about his nationality rather than his tactics. Personally I couldn't care less. In my life time the country was more united around the national team when a Brazilian was in charge anyway.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Well, that's me with a new soft spot for Uruguay now.

I thought they massively underachieved at the World Cup tbh. Can't wait to see what he does with some of those players.

If he can get them playing anything like how he converted Chile, we are in for some excitement.

Archived