talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Tom Ince Signs for Stoke City for £10m From Huddersfield

I really can't believe this one. Whilst being a nearly man for so much of his time at Derby County, I was impressed with the impact he had at Huddersfield Town. I'm surprised they're letting him go, and just like Matt Ritchie, I'm even more surprised he's dropping down a division.

With Joe Allen pulling the strings in the middle and both Matt Ritchie and Tom Ince on the flanks, the structure of a team competing for an automatic place is assembled. 

Of the three teams coming down I've been most impressed by Stoke City. They've hired a Manager that knows the league and are signing players youd expect to be seeing in the Premier League. Swansea City have been taking gambles whilst West Brom likely to lose Rodriguez and Dawson.

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator

Matt Ritchie has left Newcastle?! When did that happen??

Tom Ince is a Championship player at best right now. I don't think he did much at Huddersfield - Mooy was more influential for them.

I dont think Tom Ince is all that. I thought he'd make more of an impact last season and found him quite inconspicuous really. Huddersfield struggle to score so perhaps a surprise to let an attacking option go but he's not a massive loss.

Championship is his level. He had a great season for Blackpool and one for Derby but have to say, I think he's lived off those a bit. Stoke have McClean and Ince now which are decent options for this league but I still dont think they will roll teams over really.

• Administrator
12 minutes ago, Cannabis said:

Still makes me laugh how he turned down Internazionale and went on a tour of the country only to end up fizzling out at Hull, Derby, Forest. The top flight is too much for him, he couldn't hack it at Huddersfield and is quite rightly returning to where he belongs in the second tier. 

must have been his dad's doing going to Inter. Bet they were never interested xD 

• Administrator

confirmed

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/44938650

Stoke City have signed winger Tom Ince from Huddersfield Town for an initial fee of £10m, which could rise to £12m.

The 26-year-old has agreed a four-year contract with the Championship club and is Gary Rowett's fifth signing since he took charge of the Potters in May.

Ince previously played under Rowett at Derby, before the son of former England star Paul joined Huddersfield in 2017.

"I've had the fortune to work with Tom before and he's a terrifically talented player," Rowett told Stoke's website.

"He's very strong technically and can play anywhere across the front three, but he's particularly good from the right-hand side. His record in the Championship speaks for itself."

Former Liverpool trainee Ince, whose previous clubs include Blackpool and Hull City, had two years left on his deal with the Terriers.

He scored 37 goals in 105 league appearances for Derby between February 2015 and July 2017, having initially joined the Rams on loan from Hull.

• The title was changed to Tom Ince - Signing for Stoke City for £10m From Huddersfield
17 hours ago, Cannabis said:

Still makes me laugh how he turned down Internazionale and went on a tour of the country only to end up fizzling out at Hull, Derby, Forest. The top flight is too much for him, he couldn't hack it at Huddersfield and is quite rightly returning to where he belongs in the second tier. 

I imagine that was his Dad's advice. He seems to have given him rather peculiar advice throughout his carer.

I remember when tom ince said he didnt want to be called up for england u21. I do wonder if his attitude has cost him.                            On another note ten million for a championship club. That is incredible i think i heard the other day that Celtics record sighning is 9 million to put it in perspective.

On 24/07/2018 at 16:40, Gunnersauraus said:

I remember when tom ince said he didnt want to be called up for england u21. I do wonder if his attitude has cost him.                            On another note ten million for a championship club. That is incredible i think i heard the other day that Celtics record sighning is 9 million to put it in perspective.

Unfortunately, it's really common these days. Bang average players going for obscene sums of money.

With crazy parachute payments for ex-PL clubs, and perennial Championship clubs with wealthy owners taking the big gamble to get into the mega money of the Premier League before FFP bites them (see Derby, see Notts Forest), it's inevitable.

17 minutes ago, StefBWFC said:

Unfortunately, it's really common these days. Bang average players going for obscene sums of money.

With crazy parachute payments for ex-PL clubs, and perennial Championship clubs with wealthy owners taking the big gamble to get into the mega money of the Premier League before FFP bites them (see Derby, see Notts Forest), it's inevitable.

Yeah its insane. I think I mentioned this is another thread but one of my friends is a finacial expert and he says football can't keep on going the way it is and it will crash one day unless something is done

• 2 weeks later...
  • Subscriber
On 23/07/2018 at 17:15, The Palace Fan said:

I really can't believe this one. Whilst being a nearly man for so much of his time at Derby County, I was impressed with the impact he had at Huddersfield Town. I'm surprised they're letting him go, and just like Matt Ritchie, I'm even more surprised he's dropping down a division.

With Joe Allen pulling the strings in the middle and both Matt Ritchie and Tom Ince on the flanks, the structure of a team competing for an automatic place is assembled. 

Stoke really do look well equipped to go straight back up, and you would expect them to with ease. 

I do hope i am wrong though.

On 23 July 2018 at 20:52, Cannabis said:

Must be related to Wilshere mate. :ph34r:

26 years old and has been at 9 clubs. His 6th move in 4 years. The funniest thing of all is that his father was giving interviews 5 years ago about how he was making sure his son would make the right move next, the right stepping stone progress, a carefully planned route to success. He wouldn't just jump in like many failures before.

7 minutes ago, Harvsky said:

26 years old and has been at 9 clubs. His 6th move in 4 years. The funniest thing of all is that his father was giving interviews 5 years ago about how he was making sure his son would make the right move next, the right stepping stone progress, a carefully planned route to success. He wouldn't just jump in like many failures before.

I remember those words by Paul Ince very well and even though in part he was correct because he wanted to make sure his son would be playing instead of sitting on a bench or worse, it doesn't seem to have worked out so well.  Maybe there was a bit of arrogance there in the sense that they thought the name would keep them more in the spotlight than some other random youngster.  The issue is that the moves weren't the correct ones though and it didn't even seem that way then.

What I don't understand is this aversion for many young English players to make the move abroad when it develops.  There are some that do but those tend to be unknowns.  Look at Jack Wilshere who I mentioned earlier!  Chose Bournemouth instead of playing in the Eternal City and all that can come with that!

• Subscriber
1 hour ago, SirBalon said:

I remember those words by Paul Ince very well and even though in part he was correct because he wanted to make sure his son would be playing instead of sitting on a bench or worse, it doesn't seem to have worked out so well.  Maybe there was a bit of arrogance there in the sense that they thought the name would keep them more in the spotlight than some other random youngster.  The issue is that the moves weren't the correct ones though and it didn't even seem that way then.

What I don't understand is this aversion for many young English players to make the move abroad when it develops.  There are some that do but those tend to be unknowns.  Look at Jack Wilshere who I mentioned earlier!  Chose Bournemouth instead of playing in the Eternal City and all that can come with that!

This is 100% changing now mate - there's been a massive change in attitude amongst our best young players, and many of them have started to go abroad for better opportunities. The money in the Premier League has caused so many young players to realise they stand so little chance of breaking through here so they've gone abroad to get a different education and more chance of playing first team football at a young age.

There have been a number of high profile youth departures, particularly to Germany but also France, Spain and Holland this summer and the last. Sancho is the obvious standout but there's loads of examples now. Just this summer Spurs have lost Bennetts to Gladbach and Griffiths to Lyon. We've lost our best U16 to PSV and now likely Edwards to Germany as well. These were some of our most highly rated young players - and if you don't think you can break through and get opportunities at Spurs under Poch then you've got very little chance elsewhere under other managers. 

You're right of course that recognised English players previously have been so averse to making a move abroad, but I really think this is shifting somewhat. You only need one or two to be successful and it will start to become realistic for others. The only problem is foreign clubs not able to afford English talent when they become household names due to the finances in the league and the need for HG players in the squad.

Archived