The better place to talk football.

VAR before and after the WC

football forum

Before the World Cup I was..  

6 members have voted

1. 1. Before the World Cup I was..

2. 2. After the World Cup I am..

Vote and discuss.

I was against VAR before the WC and I still am.

I think sports where it works successfully have clearer more defined rules - such as is the ball in or out etc - Cricket, Tennis. Even Rugby has clearer rules than football. The handball rule is a great example where referees either don't know the rules or if they do it's still to a degree of interpretation, as are most fouls.

Trialing VAR is the world biggest and greatest competition was just absurd, with referees that had never used it.

I also believe that most people have made their minds up already. A pro VAR is unlikely to be swayed against VAR and visa versa. 

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator

agree with the last sentence.

the first bit you mention though isn't the fault of VAR - it's the fault of the sport not having those clearly defined rules. Align that with incompetent referees who don't know/can't decipher what the rules are and you're pretty much asking for trouble. Some football decisions are down to interpretation which are bound to change with different refs on different days, as you mention.

Look at VAR though from last year to this tournament - there was so much annoyance and anger at how long decisions took. Granted some decisions in the WC still took too long, even for my liking, but some were very quick and a vast improvement on what it was like when VAR first came about. That's a positive step in the right direction which most anti-VAR people wanted. 

• Subscriber

It didn't work perfectly but for me that points more to rules either having too much of a grey area or officials being incompetent if the world's best referees still can't make consistent decisions with the extra replay technology.

The poll should have an option for whether you changed your mind on VAR. I'd be interested to see that.

Before the World Cup, I thought VAR was a good idea, but wouldn't fully work as intended unless the rules were clarified and made more black and white. The World Cup did nothing to convince me otherwise.

18 minutes ago, Burning Gold said:

The poll should have an option for whether you changed your mind on VAR. I'd be interested to see that.

Before the World Cup, I thought VAR was a good idea, but wouldn't fully work as intended unless the rules were clarified and made more black and white. The World Cup did nothing to convince me otherwise.

From the options you can see if anyone has changed their mind

Archived