talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Thierry Henry to Manage Aston Villa?!

football forum

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Fuck it why not, the only reason Bruce was kept on was because we couldn’t afford compensation. Rich as fuck now so not a problem for us. 

I’m all for the doctrine of build a side that is young and plays attacking football with a style of play across the club that gives us an identity. If Thierry gives us that then happy days, it’s a gamble but fuck it roll the dice. Otherwise we will have another season of Steve Bruce football that’s proven to be insufficient for the modern game now.

24 minutes ago, Fairy In Boots said:

Fuck it why not, the only reason Bruce was kept on was because we couldn’t afford compensation. Rich as fuck now so not a problem for us. 

I’m all for the doctrine of build a side that is young and plays attacking football with a style of play across the club that gives us an identity. If Thierry gives us that then happy days, it’s a gamble but fuck it roll the dice. Otherwise we will have another season of Steve Bruce football that’s proven to be insufficient for the modern game now.

2 seasons ago he got Hull promoted...you still don't have it bad.

I'd probably want Henry if I were you though. You say you're rich, is it permenant or is temporary?

6 minutes ago, Danny said:

2 seasons ago he got Hull promoted...you still don't have it bad.

I'd probably want Henry if I were you though. You say you're rich, is it permenant or is temporary?

Permanent the new owners are 3rd wealthiest in English Football. FFP is what is hamstringing us, otherwise it’s moneyball I reckon. Wes Edens is part owner of the Bucks in NBA and Nassef Sawiris is worth double what he is and has taken the role of chairman. Collectively they match Abramovich, I don’t think they’ve come here to hang around in the championship. 

Bruce has consistently underachieved here, has no plan B and is tactically inept. I called a play off loss to Fulham consistently from Feb, at this point I don’t know what is to be achieved persisting with the spud faced cunt. 

The Henry rumours are because the new owners want attacking football with younger players, I’m all for that. A week ago I’d have stuck by Bruce because it was going to be fire sales and seek to just tread water, the only reason he wasn’t sacked was we couldn’t afford his compensation.

Now it’s all changed, if there’s money to spend and they want a new Style get Thierry in, Steve Bould No 2 apparently. 

We know what we will get with Bruce and it’s not wanted really, we know it’s not good enough so why persist? Of course there’s the risk it could hog wrong but if you’re in a situation where you won’t improve or get to where you need to be, why stuck with what you have? 

Hes filled the squad with older players on high wages and brought players and not played to their strengths (Lansbury & Hogan). His style of football worked 4-5 years ago it doesn’t now

2 hours ago, Smiley Culture said:

Would take Bruce every day of the week over Henry. 

We dont know how henry will turn out as a manager so that is a bit premature 

Just now, Gunnersauraus said:

We dont knpw jow henry will turn out as a manager so that is a bit premature 

Exactly. A man who’s won promotion, what, three or four times from the Championship or a bloke with no managerial experience? I know who I’d want managing my club. 

If this goes through n Henry replaces Bruce it will be  one of the more interesting decisions by know nothing new owners of a football club for sometime.

There is nothing about Henry's pundit time that would convince me that he has it in him to coach lower level players into a winning machine.

Mr. Bruce on the other hand is Aston Villa's best asset.

In Villa's favor its the daily Star reporting this, so its probably wide of the mark.

I hope for all fans of Big club Villa, that it is.

I give it six months before the owners decide it's more appropriate to appoint somebody that understands this division and has previously been successful.

It's going to be like deja vu from what Xia appointed DiMatteo and then went for Bruce two years ago.

Regardless of the potential wealth of the owners, i'd be concerned if I was a Villa fan that they're replacing somebody with an excellent track record of promotion for a name with no managerial experience at all. If this is their process thinking they have a lot to learn about this competitive division.

Anything that gets Henry off my TV has my approval, but it's an odd one considering his lack of experience. I'd've thought Villa could attract bigger managerial names than that even from the Championship.

Belgium obviously have a great squad of players, but the last World Cup is the first time they've really lived up to that, so it could be that Henry had a lot to do with their improvement there.

• Subscriber
10 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

So I’m convinced we are living in a FM save. Stevie at Rangers, Lampard at Derby, Henry at Villa, Leicester winning the title recently. 

England actually doing well at a tournament...

3 hours ago, Burning Gold said:

Anything that gets Henry off my TV has my approval, but it's an odd one considering his lack of experience. I'd've thought Villa could attract bigger managerial names than that even from the Championship.

Belgium obviously have a great squad of players, but the last World Cup is the first time they've really lived up to that, so it could be that Henry had a lot to do with their improvement there.

Have to agree with your first line. I don't know exactly what it is but I do find him annoying as fuck as a pundit.

9 hours ago, The Palace Fan said:

I give it six months before the owners decide it's more appropriate to appoint somebody that understands this division and has previously been successful.

It's going to be like deja vu from what Xia appointed DiMatteo and then went for Bruce two years ago.

Regardless of the potential wealth of the owners, i'd be concerned if I was a Villa fan that they're replacing somebody with an excellent track record of promotion for a name with no managerial experience at all. If this is their process thinking they have a lot to learn about this competitive division.

Massively different from DiMatteo he was/is running a fashion business and was while manage he literally just took our cash and focussed on his own operation. 

Henry is a risk granted, but Brice isn’t a fucking asset he’s a hinderance on a squad that could have walked that league last year. He doesn’t “do tactics” ffs it’s 2018/19 season and that’s the attitude, he was found wanting pretty much once a month every month since his appointment. You lot seem to forget after doing Wolves they then surrendered second place and the vaulted Steve Bruce didn’t have a clue but to keep going until they got a result. He then fluffed the playoff final against a footballing side because that’s what it takes now. If it wasn’t for our money troubles he’d have been sacked post playoff final and nobody would have batted an eyelid. 

Re Henry, it’s a gamble but I don’t think if he’d agree this move without serious assurances from the new board and they want attractive football, Bruce’s  a buy 30 year bloke to old lump it is awful. I don’t know one season ticket holder that has said “I like Steve Bruce football, they all say I can put up with it if we get promoted” we’d have had to sack him if we’d got up anyway. 

5 hours ago, RandoEFC said:

England actually doing well at a tournament...

Have to agree with your first line. I don't know exactly what it is but I do find him annoying as fuck as a pundit.

England played 7 lost 3 and pretty much exclusively scored from set pieces. There progression as in some of the play at the back is better but to me they fluffed a big opportunity. It was fun at the time but upon reflection it has to be opportunity missed

He's took a risk here, surely going into your first management job you'd want a good 1-2 months to prepare/analyse and study the club, to understand and build a side. Frank Lampard had that going into Derby, this just seems like a rush job at this stage and with so little time left, I'd imagine before the investment Steve Bruce was non the wiser?

2 hours ago, Fairy In Boots said:

I don’t have Sky, sacked that shit off 5 years ago. Intrigued by your criticism I’ve watched a few YouTube clips of Henry’s analysis, I think he’s quite good tbh. The breakdown of the “freedom” of Barcelona was insightful. 

Not really criticism on Henry himself so much, more the time & preparation he has given himself for this job. You'd just think.. since your first major role in management is the most important, you would want plenty of time to assess the squad, drill your ideas into them and pick out what you want from the market all in good time.

On 24/07/2018 at 16:19, Fairy In Boots said:

Permanent the new owners are 3rd wealthiest in English Football. FFP is what is hamstringing us, otherwise it’s moneyball I reckon. Wes Edens is part owner of the Bucks in NBA and Nassef Sawiris is worth double what he is and has taken the role of chairman. Collectively they match Abramovich, I don’t think they’ve come here to hang around in the championship. 

Bruce has consistently underachieved here, has no plan B and is tactically inept. I called a play off loss to Fulham consistently from Feb, at this point I don’t know what is to be achieved persisting with the spud faced cunt. 

The Henry rumours are because the new owners want attacking football with younger players, I’m all for that. A week ago I’d have stuck by Bruce because it was going to be fire sales and seek to just tread water, the only reason he wasn’t sacked was we couldn’t afford his compensation.

Now it’s all changed, if there’s money to spend and they want a new Style get Thierry in, Steve Bould No 2 apparently. 

Wow. Great news for villa. Great strategic option for an owner. Big club in a big market and undervalued. 

2 hours ago, DNA said:

Not really criticism on Henry himself so much, more the time & preparation he has given himself for this job. You'd just think.. since your first major role in management is the most important, you would want plenty of time to assess the squad, drill your ideas into them and pick out what you want from the market all in good time.

Yeah but it’s a bit like FM isn’t it, if you’re going to pick a place to start, do you go for the ready functional big club or do you go for the distinctional big club that’s on its knee’s. In the infrastructure, playing facilities training complex etc is all top 6 grade

Bruce gets a vote of confidence and as if by magic we play a back 3 with Alan Hutton at Centre back. 

So villa this a club a decade out of date persisting with a manager who’s ethos is similarly outdated. I’m so fucking devastated we get this shit again

Archived