The better place to talk football.

Harvey Barnes

football forum

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator

moved it to Premier League cos he's a Leicester player :readthemessage:

However, he was doing great at Barnsley and has had successful loan spells there this season as well as with MK Dons last season. At the moment, Championship seems to be his level. Every now and then, when with Barnsley, he'd score some cracking goals and was partly the reason they were doing well in some parts of the season. He'd score goals or get assists for fun for our under-23 team. 

He's an attacking midfielder and has potential (I think) to be a good enough for a lower-half of the Premier League team. 

He came back to us in January and played against Fleetwood and Peterborough. Against Fleetwood he was quite poor and didn't get involved in the game much. It seemed to pass him by but that could also be said about the rest of the players.

Against Peterborough he was much more involved - linking well with the midfield and finding lots of space between their midfield & defence. It's then what he did with the ball which is a bit underwhelming. All well and good finding those pockets of space but then you have to make the right decision afterwards. But he's young and he's still finding his feet. I think he'll go out on loan again before he becomes a regular in our team (if that is to happen). 

7 hours ago, Stan said:

moved it to Premier League cos he's a Leicester player :readthemessage:

However, he was doing great at Barnsley and has had successful loan spells there this season as well as with MK Dons last season. At the moment, Championship seems to be his level. Every now and then, when with Barnsley, he'd score some cracking goals and was partly the reason they were doing well in some parts of the season. He'd score goals or get assists for fun for our under-23 team. 

He's an attacking midfielder and has potential (I think) to be a good enough for a lower-half of the Premier League team. 

He came back to us in January and played against Fleetwood and Peterborough. Against Fleetwood he was quite poor and didn't get involved in the game much. It seemed to pass him by but that could also be said about the rest of the players.

Against Peterborough he was much more involved - linking well with the midfield and finding lots of space between their midfield & defence. It's then what he did with the ball which is a bit underwhelming. All well and good finding those pockets of space but then you have to make the right decision afterwards. But he's young and he's still finding his feet. I think he'll go out on loan again before he becomes a regular in our team (if that is to happen). 

Great post and a fair assesment. I'm keen on checking him out one of these days and I'll definitely look out to what you've told me. To see how accurate it is, but for now I definitely trust your opinion. Especially as a Leicester fan :)

I have him on my "to scout" or "players I'm following" shortlist on excel, hence why I asked.

c3046353c1ad4511085f1115fec13349.png

Just now, HK85 said:

Hardly seen the kid play. Probably get loaned out again next season because we've got a few other wingers. 

Well he's got 10 goals in Belgium which certainly isn't a bad thing. Perhaps you have a hidden gem on you. I am aware of your winger situation though, so I agree its probably still 2 years before he gets a chance.

I'd say the 3 best players on there are Lautaro, Bailey and Fariñez, although I haven't seen every one on there. They are a few I plan to follow.

I have seen the 3 mentioned above though. All 3 will play for top European clubs at some point.

2 minutes ago, HK85 said:

Martinez isn't even better than Ademola, never mind Henry. 

Those 2 will be playing in places like Holland, Belgium or in mid to low table teams in the prem in 4 years, while Martinez is already going to Inter Milan for like 25M Euros. It's not even close.

4 minutes ago, Berserker said:

Those 2 will be playing in places like Holland, Belgium or in mid to low table teams in the prem in 4 years, while Martinez is already going to Inter Milan for like 25M Euros. It's not even close.

I've watched Martinez extensively for a while now, 'serker. There's some promise there but it will amount to very little. As for Inter Milan, it'll be a similar story to Barbosa, go over there, get found out and end up at somewhere like Banfield in 2 years.

Both 'Mola and Henry are a lot better, I'm afraid. I wouldn't even say Martinez was better than the likes of Gomez, Romero, Diakhaby. 

• Subscriber

I've not actually seen a great deal of him, but can throw in the following:

- He seems to have a pretty good scoring record at U21 level, League One, and Championship level for a midfielder, and he looks a very decent finisher too.

- I've seen him play twice for us in the first team. Fleetwood away where he was poor (but the whole collective performance was a disgrace) and Peterborough, where he wasn't bad, but Diabate on the wing stole the show. He got into a very good position for our 2nd goal but Iheanacho went alone and to his credit produced a really good finish.

- Fans of Barnsley and MK Dons both seemed to rate him highly from his loan moves there.

So in truth, someone I'd want to see more of myself before I decide he's any good. I do think he'll get a chance under Puel though, and with Okazaki out for a couple of weeks this might be it.

15 minutes ago, HK85 said:

I've watched Martinez extensively for a while now, 'serker. There's some promise there but it will amount to very little. As for Inter Milan, it'll be a similar story to Barbosa, go over there, get found out and end up at somewhere like Banfield in 2 years.

Both 'Mola and Henry are a lot better, I'm afraid. I wouldn't even say Martinez was better than the likes of Gomez, Romero, Diakhaby. 

Barbosa wasn't found out, he wasn't given enough chances, and probably has an attitude problem. Martinez will probably be Icardi's heir at Inter. And he's by far the best player on that list, much better than those 2 and all the others you mentioned. Let's bet something, let's see where Lautaro, Ademola and Henry stand 3 years from now.

4 minutes ago, Berserker said:

Barbosa wasn't found out, he wasn't given enough chances, and probably has an attitude problem. Martinez will probably be Icardi's heir at Inter. And he's by far the best player on that list, much better than those 2 and all the others you mentioned. Let's bet something, let's see where Lautaro, Ademola and Henry stand 3 years from now.

Attitude problems are rife with South Americans and it's another reason, aside from ability, why Martinez won't amount to much. Let's not forget the henious crime against England in the summer because he was getting outplayed. Even Calvert-Lewin outshone him that day. 

31 minutes ago, HK85 said:

Attitude problems are rife with South Americans and it's another reason, aside from ability, why Martinez won't amount to much. Let's not forget the henious crime against England in the summer because he was getting outplayed. Even Calvert-Lewin outshone him that day. 

No it's not, you're generalizing. Brazilians and Colombians do commonly have attitude problems, not Argentinians. I could probably name you more British players with attitude players than Argentines. Not counting that match because it was a robbery, think i remember your second goal being offside and the referee turning the pitch to your side by not carding one of your defenders for a reckless tackle and then carding one of our midfielders for a foul that possible wasn't even one. Also Lautaro has grown a great deal since them, he's much better.

28 minutes ago, Berserker said:

No it's not, you're generalizing. Brazilians and Colombians do commonly have attitude problems, not Argentinians. I could probably name you more British players with attitude players than Argentines. Not counting that match because it was a robbery, think i remember your second goal being offside and the referee turning the pitch to your side by not carding one of your defenders for a reckless tackle and then carding one of our midfielders for a foul that possible wasn't even one. Also Lautaro has grown a great deal since them, he's much better.

Would say from my experience that Argentinians are the worst regarding attitudes. Even the ordinary man on the steeet has it bad. 

8 minutes ago, HK85 said:

Would say from my experience that Argentinians are the worst regarding attitudes. Even the ordinary man on the steeet has it bad. 

Which experiences?, elaborate. Also, is this the same guy who was crying racism when people made jokes about the Lennon situation being xenophobic now? :35_thinking:

20 minutes ago, Berserker said:

Which experiences?, elaborate. Also, is this the same guy who was crying racism when people made jokes about the Lennon situation being xenophobic now? :35_thinking:

I once done a thesis on attitudes and mannerisms of South Americans, I am well versed in this topic, my friend. 

Venezuelans the best, if you wanted to know. Good people. 

39 minutes ago, HK85 said:

I once done a thesis on attitudes and mannerisms of South Americans, I am well versed in this topic, my friend. 

Venezuelans the best, if you wanted to know. Good people. 

May i see the thesis?, i'm genuinely interested. That is certainly not the case with footballers, there's far more cases of Brazilian or Colombian players with attitude/off the pitch problems than Argentinians, and i'd argue perhaps there's more Brits too. Also Chileans are far worse, they literally cannot speak 3 words without an insult.

2 minutes ago, Berserker said:

May i see the thesis?, i'm genuinely interested. That is certainly not the case with footballers, there's far more cases of Brazilian or Colombian players with attitude/off the pitch problems than Argentinians, and i'd argue perhaps there's more Brits too. Also Chileans are far worse, they literally cannot speak 3 words without an insult.

Haha, love it. The word "culiao" is the best xD

• The title was changed to Harvey Barnes Joins West Brom On Loan for 2018/19 Season

Archived