talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Last Man Standing League - Round 1 (Premier League)

football forum

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber

Draws are going to whittle these rounds down a lot faster than the World Cup competition. Wolves v Everton has killed off a further 6 people. 

21 through and 10 sidelined now. Tomorrow we have 2 for Liverpool, 3 for Southampton and 1 for Man City.

• Subscriber

xD saying that I've had them to win 1-0 on predictions so what do I know. Still think they're a bit too big a risk really given you could pick literally anyone.

Rando, put me down for Man City next week. Playing safe. That's a total banker.

• Subscriber
17 minutes ago, Dan said:

I can't believe people have had Southampton. They're shocking.

I don't see why anyone has picked anyone outside the top 6 this round to be honest, aside from Bournemouth to be fair. Picking Wolves or Fulham or Southampton could see you out in the first week, don't see the point in not riding the top six clubs through the first few rounds but maybe I just get the different strategy because I made the rules and now I've said that I'll definitely be picking a top six club next week and getting knocked out xD.

• Subscriber
31 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

I don't see why anyone has picked anyone outside the top 6 this round to be honest, aside from Bournemouth to be fair. Picking Wolves or Fulham or Southampton could see you out in the first week, don't see the point in not riding the top six clubs through the first few rounds but maybe I just get the different strategy because I made the rules and now I've said that I'll definitely be picking a top six club next week and getting knocked out xD.

I picked Man Utd because it was a bit of a win/win for me really, any avoiding of defeat at Old Trafford on day one is a great effort, but I also did expect us to play OK and lose narrowly - which is exactly what we did. It couldn't have gone any more how I thought it would.

Wolves v Everton I thought was a nailed on draw because I spot these silly patterns. I see Wolves last year walk the Championship, losing 2 home games with one of them 0-2 to Forest, before they're handed exactly the first day game we are on our return to the PL and we drew that 2-2. Sure enough xD in seriousness I think a draw in your game made sense, although I thought Wolves would win when they equalised.

Fulham again is risky. Palace are a decent side.

I can't really lecture anyone on last man standing though. Never forget Viktoria Plzen 0-1 Jihlava. 16/1 they were to win that. Beyond belief.

• Subscriber

I'm also going Man City next week against Huddersfield.

Just waiting on the outcome of this last match as one person has backed Manchester City, then I'll post the full results and a Gameweek 2 preview this evening.

• Subscriber

Results - Gameweek One

Casualties (13)

giphy.gif

With 37 entrants entering the first round of the Last Man Standing League, backing 14 of the 20 Premier League teams in various quantities between them, we've seen plenty of casualties on this first weekend. It took until the 3pm Saturday kick offs for us to begin seeing the first victims of the competition, @Devon Von Devon and @Eco unsuccessfully backing Fulham to open their campaign with a home win against Palace, with @shut up, who backed Huddersfield to beat Chelsea, and @StefBWFC, who was let down by Gary Madine and Cardiff, also falling by the wayside.

Saturday night's game saw the bulk of this week's casualties suffer. Well-backed Wolves stumbled at home against ten man Everton, putting paid to the hopes of @Rucksackfranzose, @Rick, @Mel81x, @DeadLinesman and @YNWA, along with @robosys who was the only one to back the visiting Merseysiders.

Finally, @bozziovai and @LFCMike will have to wait for the next round to begin as Southampton were denied an opening day victory on the south coast by Joe Hart and Burnley.

Unfortunately, folks, that leaves you with 0 points in this round (unless you all somehow finish joint 3rd and get a bonus point which would be a pretty weak collective effort from the gang). I will tag you all again when we begin Round 2. While I have your attention, please vote in the "Future Rounds" poll to help us decide which league we should go to next. Whichever one has the most votes when we reach the end of this round will be the league that hosts the next one.

Survivors (24)

Brighton+Home+1+Nov+2014+236-MOTION.gif

Around two-thirds of our entrants have managed to survive the first gameweek, with a successful betrayal of their beloved Leicester seeing @Dan and @Stan sail through on Friday evening. @DNA, @Spike and @Bluewolf were not far behind, with Tottenham's 2-1 win at Newcastle in the early Saturday kickoff allowing this trio to watch the rest of the weekend's action stress-free.

The 3pm kickoffs saw this gameweek's most popular pick, Bournemouth, take to the field, and they didn't disappoint, Callum Wilson's missed penalty going unpunished in the Cherries' 2-0 success that saw @Panna King, @Cicero, @The Palace Fan, @Batard, @Cannabis, @Teso dos Bichos, @Harry, @SchalkeUK and @JOSHBRFC safely out of the blocks. Sarri's Chelsea were another popular pick and made short work of Huddersfield, to the delight of @Lucas, @nudge, @Bluebird Hewitt, @binder, @Storts and @...Dan. In the meantime, @Viva la FCB demonstrated his Last Man Standing pedigree, sneaking through amongst the crowds as the only man to pick Watford ahead of their success over Brighton.

Sunday's games saw the last stragglers secure their positions in the next gameweek, with Liverpool's comfortable 4-0 win ticking the box for @RandoEFC and @Tommy, and finally @BounceAroundTheGround the last one to get into the club before it closed, following Manchester City's success at the Emirates.

Congratulations to all of you for banking your first point (at least) in the Last Man Standing League. You may now make your pick for Gameweek 2, which is previewed below. The usual rules apply, do remember to make your pick before kickoff and bear in mind that you can't pick a team that you have picked previously! I will probably tag everyone as a reminder on Thursday or Friday if you haven't already made your picks.

Preview - Gameweek 2

The fixtures for Gameweek 2 are listed below, with the decimal odds (Bet365) given for each team to win the fixture.

Cardiff (2.80) v Newcastle (2.62)

Everton (1.95) v Southampton (4.00)

Leicester (1.95) v Wolves (3.75)

Tottenham (1.28) v Fulham (9.50)

West Ham (2.10) v Bournemouth (3.50)

Chelsea (1.75) v Arsenal (4.20)

Burnley (2.30) v Watford (3.40)

Man City (1.12) v Huddersfield (15.00)

Brighton (5.00) v Man Utd (1.72)

Crystal Palace (6.50) v Liverpool (1.45)

The Banker? Probably not for the last time this season, Manchester City are the nailed on favourites to provide a safe route through this gameweek, as they host a Huddersfield side who opened the season with a dismal 3-0 loss in their own back yard. The bookies give City an almost 90% chance of winning on back to back Sundays with Tottenham also looking a very reliable bet.

Saving the big chips? For those looking to keep some of the top six teams in the pocket for later in the competition, Everton may provide the best route into the third gameweek as they host Southampton and their less than impressive front line in their first home fixture of the season. Leicester, West Ham and Burnley could also be solid alternatives as they look to make home advantage count against clubs of a similar standing.

One from left field? With all of the negativity surrounding Newcastle United at this early stage of the season, they are unlikely to see much support throughout the competition, and weren't backed by any in Gameweek 1, but with a visit to relegation favourites Cardiff City ahead of Benitez' men this Saturday lunchtime in the offing after an opening day performance that was far from bereft of positives at home to Spurs, this gameweek could see some love for them. Indeed, the bookies make them narrow favourites this week, but it still represents a sizeable gamble at this stage in the competition.

Happy picking guys.

(I'm going with Manchester City)

• Subscriber

Yeah Man City. I don't think there are really that many good picks there.

They did however fail to win that fixture last season.

I reckon Spurs are a trap. Got a weird feeling they'll draw.

• The topic was unpinned

Archived