talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Last Man Standing League - Round 1 (Premier League)

football forum

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber

Another successful week so far but with most people using up a big six chip. I'm going to continue in that manner by going with Chelsea to beat Bournemouth. 

Full update follows the United Spurs game on Monday. In the meantime if you know you're through, feel free to pick.

• Subscriber

Update - Gameweek Three

Three sets of fixtures down, and one to go before we have to wait for that pesky international break to get out of our way. It's been a quiet week this week, here's how everyone fared.

Casualties (3)

giphy.gif

Just a few falling out of contention this week as a couple of draws and a no-show reduce our numbers slightly. @Spike is out having taken what almost turned out to be an inspired gamble on Everton winning at Bournemouth, only to be denied by Josh King's penalty and Nathan Ake's equaliser, with @SchalkeUK the other victim of Saturday's fixtures after Huddersfield and their ten men failed to overcome Cardiff as their difficult start to the season continues. @BounceAroundTheGround is also out, having failed to make a pick for this gameweek on time.

All of you are out of this round of the league with two points on the board. Thanks for taking part and I'll tag you in a few weeks to make sure you're aware of the start of the next round. Please see the thread below and vote on which league(s) you'd like to see us move onto after the Premier League round is complete.

Survivors (20)

giphy.gif

On the survivors' side, this week is a tale of two bandwagons as 18 of our 20 remaining competitors picked one of two very safe bets. A special mention goes first to @Viva la FCB, impressing again by making it into the fourth gameweek as the only survivor not to have used any of the Premier League's "top six" sides so far. Harry Maguire's last-gasp winner for Leicester over Southampton carries the World Cup edition champion through this time. The first of Saturday's two larger herds backed Arsenal, with @RandoEFC, @Eco, @Stan, @Batard, @Dan, @Cannabis, @Teso dos Bichos, @DNA, @Tommy and @Harry breathing their weekly sigh of relief after Danny Welbeck completed the Gunners' comeback win over West Ham at the Emirates, and gameweek four became even more crowded just a few hours later, Liverpool's 1-0 win over Brighton closer than many anticipated, but welcome all the same for @Lucas, @Panna King, @Cicero, @The Palace Fan, @binder, @Storts, @...Dan and @Bluewolf. Surprisingly, the most convincing pick of the week came from @nudge, who had to wait until this evening for Tottenham's 3-0 win at Old Trafford to confirm her place in the next gameweek.

With three sets of fixtures completed and most of our survivors already using up at least a couple of their big six chips, the competition is sure to see more blood spilt by the end of next weekend, but for the time being, more than half of our initial competitors are still alive and well, marking a significant improvement on the collective form demonstrated during the admittedly more tricky World Cup edition of Last Man Standing.

Survivors, if you haven't already, you can now make your picks for Gameweek Four, which is previewed below.

Preview - Gameweek Four

As is the custom for the Last Man Standing league, here are the Gameweek Four fixtures, along with the odds from Bet365 on each team to win.

Leicester (6.50) vs Liverpool (1.44)

Brighton (2.30) vs Fulham (3.10)

Chelsea (1.28) vs Bournemouth (9.00)

Crystal Palace (1.95) vs Southampton (3.80)

Everton (1.45) vs Huddersfield (7.00)

West Ham (2.50) vs Wolves (2.87)

Man City (1.10) vs Newcastle (21.00)

Cardiff (5.00) vs Arsenal (1.61)

Burnley (6.00) vs Man Utd (1.61)

Watford (6.00) vs Tottenham (1.57)

The Banker - A surprising number of survivors have made it this far without using their Manchester City banker in an earlier gameweek, but with struggling Newcastle the next visitors to the Etihad, it looks tempting this week to play the City card and start thinking about your pick for Gameweek Five while you're at it. For those who have used Manchester City already, Chelsea offer another fairly safe option this week, but perhaps not, after all, Bournemouth's last visit to Stamford Bridge saw the Cherries run out 3-0 winners and have won on two of their three league visits to Chelsea since being promoted.

Avoiding the Big Hitters? For those wanting to save their Big Six chips this week, Everton stand out as the wise pick, their price of 1.45 to beat Huddersfield at Goodison Park surely one of the shortest prices you'll see for a non-top six side this season. Aside from The Toffees, Crystal Palace are set to be a popular choice this week as they enjoy home advantage against Mark Hughes' ailing Southampton side. The Eagles are one of only a few teams not to have been chosen by anyone in the first three Gameweeks. Don't disregard Brighton either as they look to build on their last home outing against Manchester United with another win over visiting Fulham.

One from Left-Field? Late afternoon on Sunday will see an intriguing question answered. Which is stronger? Europa League syndrome or Mourinho Third Season Syndrome? Burnley are another side that haven't had any backing over the first three Gameweeks. A good job too as Dyche's men are winless up until now. But perhaps you think Burnley are due a result and with home advantage will bag three points over a Manchester United side who many already believe to be in free fall. Me? I think you'd have to be a bit mad to take this punt with the array of decent alternatives available this week, but I wouldn't be shocked if I saw one or two survivors bet on Burnley on the back of tonight's farce at Old Trafford.

Good luck for Gameweek Four folks.

My pick for this week is Chelsea.

• Subscriber

You'd be mad to waste Burnley on a game like that in my eyes. Incredible that someone's through this far without a single big six pick. That makes them the favourite to win this surely.

Everton seem quite safe to me. I've said before I'm a fan of Silva and he's so far had them looking decent. Huddersfield look in real trouble to me and I'll be very surprised if that's not a home win. As safe a bet without picking a top six side as you'll see all season in my opinion.

• The topic was unpinned

Archived