talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Last Man Standing League - Round 1 (Premier League)

football forum

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice write up as always Rando.... 

Anyway, on to other things....This arrived by Courier this morning and I have to say that the staff on here did a top job getting it to me on time... I know I should have PM'd you sooner but lets be honest who check's their PM's when someone asked them to on here??? Yea, that's right no-one! 

bj8g2r.png

So I will just chuck that in now and safely move on to the next round... just the 4 of us left then yea?? I will put my pick in later mate...

It's getting tough now... 

• Subscriber

Update - Gameweek Five

Casualties (0)

giphy.gif

Nothing to see here.

Survivors (3)

giphy.gif

Onward we go into Gameweek Six. @Batard and @Panna King both played one of their remaining banker chips to get into Gameweek Six, successfully backing Chelsea and Manchester City respectively, the boys in blue both delivering three goal home victories. @RandoEFC joined them on Sunday afternoon, despite Joe Hart's best efforts to prevent Wolves' victory over Burnley in the Midlands.

A reminder of the teams each survivor has used to make it this far:

@RandoEFC - Liverpool, Man City, Arsenal, Chelsea, Wolves

@Panna King - Bournemouth, Everton, Liverpool, Chelsea, Man City

@Batard - Bournemouth, Leicester, Arsenal, Man City, Chelsea

Preview - Gameweek Six

Here are the odds ahead of next week's fixtures as the survivors see their options narrowed down to 15 teams.

Fulham (2.30) v Watford (2.87)

Burnley (3.00) v Bournemouth (2.55)

Cardiff (15.00) v Man City (1.16)

Crystal Palace (1.95) v Newcastle (3.80)

Leicester (1.57) v Huddersfield (5.50)

Liverpool (1.16) v Southampton (15.00)

Man Utd (1.53) v Wolves (6.50)

Brighton (4.75) v Tottenham (1.65)

West Ham (7.00) v Chelsea (1.50)

Arsenal (1.50) v Everton (6.00)

The Banker - In what is continuing as a familiar theme, Liverpool and Manchester City are the clear favourites to do the business this week, both priced by the bookies as almost certain to prevail in their Gameweek Six fixtures. However, with only one of the three remaining contenders able to pick one of these two sides, Manchester United and Arsenal might see some backing too.

Avoiding the Big Six? For those wanting to save the precious few big six chips they still have, Leicester are the standout option this time, if you trust the Foxes to bounce back from a disappointing away day at Bournemouth. Crystal Palace are also odds on to take three points at home against Newcastle, but also represent a risk, as evidenced by the four casualties in Gameweek Four last time the Eagles were backed in this competition.

One from left field? With an inflated 8 out of 10 games this week having an odds-on winner, there are enough relatively safe picks around this week that a real punt is probably unlikely. If you've got the grapes though, a home game against Bournemouth who tend to blow hot and cold might finally offer Burnley a route to their first league win of the campaign, but you'd have to be brave to go claret and blue this gameweek.

My pick for Gameweek Six is Manchester United. @Batard and @Panna King - happy picking, remember you can't use a team you've already picked!

• Subscriber

@Batard @Panna King

Well lads, all three of us shat the bed this week. I was hoping this wouldn't happen but the rules I went with dictate that although we all got the bullet this week, we need to continue until there is a clear winner to claim the three bonus points.

No unfair advantage over the rest as all of our scores are now fixed at five points plus whichever bonus we end up with. Just a bit annoying that I have to delay the next round when this round should otherwise be over.

Full update later on anyway.

• Subscriber

Update - Gameweek Six

Casualties (3)

giphy.gif

Yep, it's a triple knockout, and a devastating sixth week of the Last Man Standing first round sees all three remaining competitors fall. @Panna King unsuccessfully backed Crystal Palace to beat Newcastle, missing the opportunity to be crowned the standalone winner as @RandoEFC and @Batard rued Manchester United's stuttering start to the season, Mourinho's men teasing the win by taking the lead against Wolves only to end up sharing the points. The three wounded musketeers will now have to enter a tie break to determine the last man standing for the Premier League round.

Survivors (0)

giphy.gif

Despite joining the other 34 competitors in choosing incorrectly, @Panna King, @RandoEFC and @Batard must now continue into the after-life to determine who gets crowned the technical "Last Man Standing" for this round and claims the full three bonus points that go with the title. The same rules apply, you cannot pick a team you have used in a previous round and we continue until there is a clear winner. Hopefully for the sake of those itching to get back off the sidelines and stuck into the next round, this phase of the Premier League round doesn't go on for too long. Note that none of us will be credited with extra points for carrying on into Gameweek Seven or Eight. We are each now fixed at 5 points for surviving five game weeks, plus whichever bonus points we end up with.

A reminder of which teams we have each picked thus far:

@RandoEFC - Liverpool, Man City, Arsenal, Chelsea, Wolves, Man Utd...

@Panna King - Bournemouth, Everton, Liverpool, Chelsea, Man City, Crystal Palace...

@Batard - Bournemouth, Leicester, Arsenal, Man City, Chelsea, Man Utd...

Preview - Gameweek Seven

Here are this week's odds for each fixture.

West Ham (4.50) vs Man Utd (1.72)

Arsenal (1.40) vs Watford (6.50)

Everton (1.75) vs Fulham (4.50)

Huddersfield (7.00) vs Tottenham (1.44)

Man City (1.071) vs Brighton (23.00)

Newcastle (2.45) vs Leicester (2.90)

Wolves (1.80) vs Southampton (4.75)

Chelsea (2.75) vs Liverpool (2.45)

Cardiff (2.60) vs Burnley (2.87)

Bournemouth (2.20) vs Crystal Palace (3.20)

The Banker - Manchester City are the obvious safe bet for this week, but as all there competitors have already used their City chip, Panna King has the advantage of having both of the next best bets, Arsenal and Tottenham Hotspur, available to him.

Avoiding the Top Six? - For the fourth time this season, Everton are odds-on to win at Goodison Park as they face Fulham, but are far from a safe bet having failed to beat Huddersfield and West Ham in their last two home games. Wolves are probably a strong pick, with Southampton struggling on the road so far this season and the hosts on a high after stealing a point from Old Trafford.

One from left field? - Last week I tipped Burnley to pick up their first win of the season in this section, and this week I'm using similar logic, pointing the finger at Cardiff City, who, winless so far this season, know that this home tie against Sean Dyche's men offers arguably their best opportunity so far to pick up all three points for the first time. Alternatively, Newcastle have given a decent account of themselves at times despite picking up just two points from their first six fixtures, and will look to break their duck at home against an inconsistent Leicester.

My pick for Gameweek Seven is Tottenham. Happy picking to my undead rivals.

• Subscriber

Update - Gameweek Seven

tenor.gif?itemid=9858281

We're going to skip the Survivors and Casualties memes until this round finally comes to an end. This week, the three amigos conspired to prolong this round of the Last Man Standing competition. @Panna King's Arsenal left it late but eventually triumphed over Watford with a 2-0 scoreline, the same scoreline by which Tottenham Hotspur, backed by @RandoEFC and @Batard, defeated Huddersfield.

On we go into Gameweek Eight as all three remainers see another one of their top six options disappear.

A reminder of who we've each picked so that we don't use them again:

@RandoEFC - Liverpool, Man City, Arsenal, Chelsea, Wolves, Man Utd, Tottenham

@Panna King - Bournemouth, Everton, Liverpool, Chelsea, Man City, Crystal Palace, Arsenal

@Batard - Bournemouth, Leicester, Arsenal, Man City, Chelsea, Man Utd, Tottenham

Preview - Gameweek Eight

Here are the odds for the next set of fixtures:

Brighton (2.40) v West Ham (3.00)

Burnley (2.05) v Huddersfield (4.00)

Crystal Palace (2.62) v Wolves (2.75)

Leicester (2.15) v Everton (3.40)

Tottenham (1.16) v Cardiff (15.00)

Watford (2.05) v Bournemouth (3.40)

Man Utd (1.45) v Newcastle (7.00)

Fulham (5.25) v Arsenal (1.55)

Southampton (6.50) v Chelsea (1.57)

Liverpool (2.37) v Man City (2.80)

The Banker - In what looks like it could be a bit of a tricky week, @Panna King is the only one who has available this week's obvious safe pick Tottenham, along with Manchester United, the next heaviest favourites of the weekend. All three contenders have already used Arsenal and Chelsea, who are the other two sides odds-on to win this week, leaving @RandoEFC and @Batard scraping around for a hidden gem this week.

Avoiding the Top Six? @RandoEFC is forced into this category having used all of his Top Six chips in the first seven gameweeks, while @Batard still has the option to back Liverpool to beat Manchester City if he so chooses. With several mid-table clashes this week, those forced, or choosing, to take a bit of a risk this week will most likely be looking at Burnley, Watford or Leicester's home advantage to keep them in the game. Burnley and Watford both look reasonably good bets to me.

One from left field? Having lost their first four games of the season, nobody was backing West Ham to pick up 7 points from a visit to Everton and home games against Chelsea and Manchester United, but Pellegrini's men have hit form in the last few weeks and, having seen very little backing throughout this edition of Last Man Standing, are my outside pick to do the business at Brighton this week.

• The topic was unpinned

Archived