talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Alphonso Davies - Vancouver Winger to Join Bayern

• Subscriber

I usually go to a couple White Cap's games a year, this kid looks to be the real deal. He burst onto the scenes last season at 16 and never looked out of place but hes taken his game to the next level this season as the only bright light in Vancouver. Local medias talked alot about him, I believe they said over the off season he trained with Man U. Theres been mention of European scouts on the regular to watch him. Hes a strong and pacey player, loves to take on players, has developed a powerful shot. Generally plays on the wing, Ive seen him play both but usually on the left. This rumour's picked up steam at the end of last week, he sat out the Cap's game on the weekend so it seems to be heading to a close.

For those of you that dont follow r/soccer, this beauty he scored last week.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator

spoken a lot about him in the MLS match threads - he's absolutely rapid and can take his fair share of physical challenges too against players much older and stronger than him.

He's chipped in with a few goals but he uses his pace to good effect as he's got a good end product as well - got quite a few assists by getting in behind defenders or using his skill to take them on.

• The title was changed to Alphonso Davies - Bayern Could Buy Vancouver's Star
  • Subscriber

It's important for the MLS to start bringing through young talent that get recognised by the world's elite clubs. At this stage that will grow the league more than bringing over the hill Ibrahimovic and Rooneys over to sell some shirts.

4 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

It's important for the MLS to start bringing through young talent that get recognised by the world's elite clubs. At this stage that will grow the league more than bringing over the hill Ibrahimovic and Rooneys over to sell some shirts.

Yeah if they want to progress as a league it's time to start bringing more of their own stars through and even trying to buy more young prospects from South America(even Europe?) as recently seen with the highly talented Ezequiel Barco.

Anyway, it would be good to see a Canadian player succeed at a big European club. I'm surprised there aren't more.

• Subscriber

Sounds like a done deal, although nothing official yet. He wont join until Jan as he is still 17 until November. Word is hes heading to Munich for a medical and to sign, official announcement to follow.

Bayern Munich reach deal for Alphonso Davies with Vancouver Whitecaps - reports

Bayern Munich have agreed a deal to sign 17-year-old Canadian phenom Alphonso Davies from the Vancouver Whitecaps, according to multiple reports.

The Athletic reported on Tuesday that the two clubs had reached an agreement for a base transfer fee of $13 million -- which would already be a record for an MLS export -- with performance-related add-ons that could bring the total to $19 million.

Because

According to MLSsoccer.com, Davies will remain with the Whitecaps until the end of the MLS season, as he would not be able to play for Bayern in an official game until he turns 18 in November.

The Whitecaps left Davies out of their squad for last weekend's game, and the MLS site reported he was already in Philadelphia, where Bayern will play Juventus in the International Champions Cup on Wednesday.

Davies, who has three goals and eight assists in 20 games this season, was named to the MLS All-Star team for the game against Juventus on Aug. 1.

He has already made six appearances for the Canada national team and was joint-top scorer at last summer's CONCACAF Gold Cup with three goals.

Davies would be the second teenager from MLS to join Bayern Munich this summer, after the German champions signed 18-year-old Chris Richards on loan from FC Dallas earlier this month.

Richards is expected to join Bayern's under-19 squad this season, but Davies told Yahoo last week that he had his sights set higher.

"If the opportunity comes, I think as a developing young player I want to go somewhere where they'll play me in their first team," Davies told Yahoo. "If a club buys you, you want to play for that club. You don't want to be going on loan here or there."

Damnit. Interesting to see how he does with Bayern, but in the MLS, the kid is out of this world. 

• Subscriber

Yep, will be very interesting. I have only watched him a handful of times as I dont follow the Cap's closely but its been clear he was destined for a shot at a European club. Word is he will start with the U23 team. 

I wonder how long this will remain as the record for an MLS fee. 

I wouldn't be shocked to see Miguel Almiron move to Europe next year, and even Josef Martinez might find himself wanted more by European Clubs. 

Not to mention Barco 'should' be improving enough to warrant a load of cash. 

Might be too early for him to play for Bayern, assume he will be loaned out to Werder or a team like that. He seems a good young player, but I said that about Renato Sanches as well.  Good for Football here on the Iceberg too,  especially if we need to qualify for the WC in 8 years time, Canada really needs to get some players with European experience.

On 23/07/2018 at 17:19, RandoEFC said:

Areed. It probably played a part in them not qualifying for the world cup

• The title was changed to Alphonso Davies - Bayern Deal Close
  • The title was changed to Alphonso Davies - Vancouver Winger to Join Bayern

Archived