talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Why is football so popular?

football forum

Why is football so popular? There is no sport that really comes close on a world scale. The passion people feel for it on a world level is unmatched.  There are lots of ideas. Part of it is probably political and geographical. However for something to be so popular it still has to have an appeal to it. One reason that comes up a lot is the simplicity of it. All you need is a ball and something to make into a goal. I think that is alot of it however there are sports that are quite simple or even simpler that are no where near as popular.
 So what do you think it is? What is it for you that makes you like it so much?

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would say it has to do with the fact that Britain invaded more than half of the world and introduced the sport in most countries. Some places they had other traditions, like Canada with Lacrosse which became Hockey. In most of Africa it became the national sport. Also the big populations of India and China surely have a big majority of people who enjoy the sport too.

3 minutes ago, Blue said:

I would say it has to do with the fact that Britain invaded more than half of the world and introduced the sport in most countries. Some places they had other traditions, like Canada with Lacrosse which became Hockey. In most of Africa it became the national sport. Also the big populations of India and China surely have a big majority of people who enjoy the sport too.

More because it spread throughout Europe and the Spanish spread it to South America. It's not that popular in former British colonies.

10 minutes ago, Burning Gold said:

More because it spread throughout Europe and the Spanish spread it to South America. It's not that popular in former British colonies.

I'm not talking about former colonies, just places the British have invaded. For example, football here in Peru was introduced by the British via a club called Lima Cricket. Spain had nothing to do with it. 

7 minutes ago, Blue said:

I'm not talking about former colonies, just places the British have invaded. For example, football here in Peru was introduced by the British via a club called Lima Cricket. Spain had nothing to do with it. 

Yeah but we didn't conquer you did we? We introduced it and you loved it. I do agree that the commonwealth  is definitely part of it but there is a lot more to it than that. I mean England never conquered any of europe when football was around. We introduced  it to counties and they loved it

19 minutes ago, Burning Gold said:

Yeah exactly. The fact that it was introduced to a country doesn't mean that much. It still has to have an appeal. Other sports have been introduced and are not nearly so popular. And like you said it isn't  as popular in a lot of former British colonies like Australia, new Zealand  etc

Lets break down into parts.

Sports that are simple and dont have tons of rules the ones you can watch for the first time and can get the idea what the game is about are likely to attract more attention. This excludes Cricket, Baseball etc

The sports that have tons of equipments are likely to be difficult to play in streets. So kids wont play these sports in most parts of the world. This excludes Hockey etc.

Team sports are likely to be more attractive than individual sports. This excludes Golf, Racquet Sports etc

The sports which have more sets of individual skill are likely to be more popular. This excludes Rugby etc

Sports in which the objective on the which the game is decided is difficult to achieve are likely to be more fun to play. This excludes Basketball etc.

And the sport which has more money into it is likely to attract more audience.

There really isn't a whole lot of sports though, I do think the British invading others has played a part. Most American sports came in the 20th century and even then they didn't introduce it anywhere else. One of the old commissioners for the NBA (Stern I think it was) was responsable for making basketball a more global sport. Hockey was only ever going to be popular in colder countries and baseball did become popular in other countries, but I'm not sure how it was introduced to the likes of Japan, Korea, Panama, Venezuela, etc.

The only 3 "big" sports in the eastern hemisphere are Cricket, Rugby and Football. At least team sports anyways. 

2 minutes ago, Devon Von Devon said:

Its simple sport.

you require a ball and nothing more.

I think this answers the appeal question

It was the first 'simple sport' to become popular internationally, and it requires no prefixed terrain or physical requirements. Cricket needs a lot of room, basketball needs to be played by freaks of nature, hockey needs frozen water, etc. It can also be played alone or with nearly any amount of people. You cannot play cricket or baseball alone besides practising bowling/pitching. It's more physically exhilarating than bowls, pool, or darts as well.

6 minutes ago, Spike said:

It was the first 'simple sport' to become popular internationally, and it requires no prefixed terrain or physical requirements. Cricket needs a lot of room, basketball needs to be played by freaks of nature, hockey needs frozen water, etc. It can also be played alone or with nearly any amount of people. You cannot play cricket or baseball alone besides practising bowling/pitching. It's more physically exhilarating than bowls, pool, or darts as well.

Your ignorance sadens me

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQkYAMnGpRVECYINERGQkU

Field Hockey is the only sport that can come close to football.

Its requires equipment which lets it down.

They should really consider bringing the offside rule back into the game. That will reduce the amount of goals scored making it more appealing.

• Subscriber

Because it gets the balance absolutely right in terms of frequency of scoring. That's generally what I think when comparing it to American sport, and to reverse it, why it isn't that popular in America.

And call me anti-West

But only those sports are given prefence and media attention only which Westerns are good at.

Tennis is given so much importsnce while Squash is kept in the shadows.

Same with Field Hockey.

Wrestling Greaco-Roman.

4 minutes ago, Dan said:

Because it gets the balance absolutely right in terms of frequency of scoring. That's generally what I think when comparing it to American sport, and to reverse it, why it isn't that popular in America.

I think that is an important thing. Basketball is relatively simple and could be adapted to be played quite simply. But there are so many scores. Football only has a few which means when a goal is scored there is a mass euphoria 

17 minutes ago, Devon Von Devon said:

Field Hockey is the only sport that can come close to football.

Its requires equipment which lets it down.

They should really consider bringing the offside rule back into the game. That will reduce the amount of goals scored making it more appealing.

I think cricket is actually the second most popular team sport because it is so popular in india and Pakistan which have massive populations. Although it is obviously not really that popular in a lot of  countries

2 minutes ago, Devon Von Devon said:

I cant believe how much fuss is given to this Tour de France shit.

But a lot of other sports which are played more widely around the world are not given the slitghtest of attention.

Cycling is very heavily participated sport that is probably why.  And also it does take an insane amount of fitness which means it gets alot of respect

Just now, Gunnersauraus said:

I think cricket is actually the second most popular team sport because it is so popular in india and Pakistan which have massive populations. Although it is obviously not really that popular in a lot of  countries

The reason why Cricket became more popular than Hockey in sub continent was because Field Hockey was never given the importance and attention worldwide.

And by that i mean Field Hockey can become a massively popular sport if given attentionm

Just now, Gunnersauraus said:

Cycling is very heavily participated sport that is probably why.  And also it does take an insane amount of fitness which means it gets alot of respect

Field Hockey isn't ? And so as Wrestling, Squash ?

5 minutes ago, Devon Von Devon said:

The reason why Cricket became more popular than Hockey in sub continent was because Field Hockey was never given the importance and attention worldwide.

And by that i mean Field Hockey can become a massively popular sport if given attentionm

Its actually popular in england but there is no tv courarage of domestic leagues even when the girls won the Olympic gold.

Archived