talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Why is football so popular?

football forum

1 minute ago, Devon Von Devon said:

Field Hockey isn't ? And so as Wrestling, Squash ?

All sports require fitness but cycling  200 miles a day for 2 weeks requires insane fitness.  Its not me whos saying that though fitnesa experts generally agree it requires more fitness than most competition's 

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Gunnersauraus said:

All sports require fitness but cycling  200 miles a day for 2 weeks requires insane fitness.  Its not me whos saying that though fitnesa experts generally agree it requires more fitness than most competition's 

Fitness isn't really the factor.

Otherwise waterpolo would have been the most popular sport in the world.

2 minutes ago, Devon Von Devon said:

Cycling is good for you Europeons who have cold weather.

Cycling in 40+ and humid conditions. No thanks

Are you another anti European like  @Blue 9_9

7 minutes ago, Devon Von Devon said:

Fitness isn't really the factor.

Otherwise waterpolo would have been the most popular sport in the world.

I said it has a lot of respect because of the incredible fitness it takes I didn't say it was the only thing that makes it popular

• Subscriber

Tour of Thailand is actually a thing :D  That said, cycling is shite and doping infested. I had a friend who was really into it, and actually went to Normandy to watch Tour de France every year. Although he's Dutch, so that probably explains it, haha.

As for football, well it's a fairly simple game that is very cheap to participate in and as such, has great accessibility to the masses all over the world. Also, I know that the English like to boast about inventing modern football, but people around the world played some version of the game hundreds of years before that already :D I think that alone shows how universally accessible and appealing the game is...

37 minutes ago, nudge said:

Tour of Thailand is actually a thing :D  That said, cycling is shite and doping infested. I had a friend who was really into it, and actually went to Normandy to watch Tour de France every year. Although he's Dutch, so that probably explains it, haha.

As for football, well it's a fairly simple game that is very cheap to participate in and as such, has great accessibility to the masses all over the world. Also, I know that the English like to boast about inventing modern football, but people around the world played some version of the game hundreds of years before that already :D I think that alone shows how universally accessible and appealing the game is...

Sure the Egyptians played hockey BC 

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTVcC0A3NbyauQn5qrQK8A

So England shouldn't get the credit for inventing modern hockey.

• Subscriber

I attribute its popularity to the sheer fact that you can have the mental capacity of a five-year-old and still learn it. Also, its pretty easy to grasp by just watching it and not knowing anything about the rules unlike games which have more of a stop/start system (rugby, ice hockey, american football). Plus, the scoring is rather simple and, as mentioned before, its easier to just get into because all you really need is something to kick and pass around. 

2 hours ago, nudge said:

Yeah but England was the country tjat develoed it and introduced it to the world.

Football's success is inseperable from its spectator success. Ease of playing is secondary.

I believe the success lies in the Victorian sense of community. Everyone in the town would go down to the park to watch boys from their town play boys from another. It created idols and heroes in the community, based on their community. That would create a meaning and a purpose to the game that would inspire generations of kids to want to play it.

It could have been any sport, football just had the right timing. It doesn't matter if a sport is seasonal or requires a lot of equipment at the professional level. If it is the centre of the community, if it is the sport of the local heroes then kids will find a way to play a morphed version of it. 

Success lies in why do we watch it? With sport and football in particular, it isn't every game that holds your attention but the games with meaning. The Victorians by accident or design began to organise sport in a way that would make it a prominent part of life.

15 hours ago, Harvsky said:

Football's success is inseperable from its spectator success. Ease of playing is secondary.

I believe the success lies in the Victorian sense of community. Everyone in the town would go down to the park to watch boys from their town play boys from another. It created idols and heroes in the community, based on their community. That would create a meaning and a purpose to the game that would inspire generations of kids to want to play it.

It could have been any sport, football just had the right timing. It doesn't matter if a sport is seasonal or requires a lot of equipment at the professional level. If it is the centre of the community, if it is the sport of the local heroes then kids will find a way to play a morphed version of it. 

Success lies in why do we watch it? With sport and football in particular, it isn't every game that holds your attention but the games with meaning. The Victorians by accident or design began to organise sport in a way that would make it a prominent part of life.

Yeah the success of a sport in terms of participation can ne heavily linked with simplicity. However popularity in terms of spectators is not so governed by simplicity 

On 7/25/2018 at 06:53, Gunnersauraus said:

Why is football so popular? There is no sport that really comes close on a world scale. The passion people feel for it on a world level is unmatched.  There are lots of ideas. Part of it is probably political and geographical. However for something to be so popular it still has to have an appeal to it. One reason that comes up a lot is the simplicity of it. All you need is a ball and something to make into a goal. I think that is alot of it however there are sports that are quite simple or even simpler that are no where near as popular.
 So what do you think it is? What is it for you that makes you like it so much?

actually in parts of asia football isn't that popular.    my pakistani and indian friends here llooovvvveeesss cricket and they said that football is only a secondary or even tertiary sport in their home country.     my country as well, philippines, we're facking short, but pinoys lllllooooooovvvvveeess basketball.    only those pinoys who has some outside influence loves football.

but to some of my friends i made them convert from basketball to football coz i explain to them how every aspect in the game is important.   the goals you scored versus the goals you conceded and so on and so forth .... and i let them watch games while i explain to them what's what.   thankfully them fackers have understood and now, they love the game too much.

• Administrator
16 hours ago, Devon Von Devon said:

There isn't much to football you have to explain to others.

The only rule you cant figure out just by watching is offside.

Handball as well sometimes. 

11 hours ago, Stan said:

Handball as well sometimes. 

Handball was invented much later. Shame its not more popular and that there is no tv courage apart from the Olympics because  I think it is a decent sport

I was wrong handball has been around since the 19th century. Means there must be more to footballs popularity than simplicity 

Archived