talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Last Man Standing League - Rules and Table Updates

football forum

• Subscriber

Rules

I'm sure we all know this by now, but here are the rules for the Last Man Standing League with some details on the format:

- For the rest of this post, when I refer to a "Round" I'm referring to a full competition, e.g. the Premier League round or the Serie A round. When talking about individual sets of fixtures within a round, I will use the term "gameweek".

- In a Last Man Standing competition, you choose one team to win in each gameweek. If your team wins, you "survive" until the next gameweek. If your team loses or draws, you are eliminated from the current round of the competition. You can not use the same team more than once, unless you achieve the impossible of surviving 20 rounds (or however many it takes) without failing to pick a winner and have therefore used every team, but LOL if that happens.

- With the league format, you will receive a score each round, and they will be added to create a running total at the end of each round. Scoring is explained later on in the post.

- You can obviously choose to compete in just one round if you prefer, I will include you in the league table for the full season but you will obviously score no points in the rounds that you do not take part.

Scoring

Having had some time to think about it and considered general feedback, I have settled on what I hope will be a very simple scoring system for the most part. I'm aiming to reward those who consistently survive a decent number of gameweeks, whilst also rewarding those who actually win or come close to winning individual rounds with some bonus points.

- Basic Score - This is simply how many gameweeks you survive. If your pick lets you down in the first gameweek, you will score 0 points. If you successfully survive four gameweeks then get knocked out in the fifth gameweek, you will score 4 points. Etc.

- Bonus Score - Bonus points will be rewarded to the top three finishers in each round. The actual winner of the round will receive 3 bonus points, the person or people who finish 2nd will receive 2 bonus points and the 3rd place finisher(s) will receive 1 bonus point. I'm personally not arsed about having ties for 2nd and 3rd that see more than one person receive 1 or 2 bonus points, but I do want to make sure there is a distinct "winner" in each round (it is a Last Man Standing after all), so there will be one possible instance where I might do things slightly differently.

- Special Case - In a situation where all remaining players are eliminated and there is no clear winner of the round, the remaining players will enter "sudden death" to determine who gets the bonus points. Their Basic Score will be fixed at this point so that if it takes another 3-4 gameweeks to separate the winner from the rest, they will not be credited with 3-4 extra points in their Basic Score because they did not originally survive that many gameweeks. An example might be the best way to explain this:

• The round begins with six players, Player A, Player B, Player C, Player D, Player E and Player F.
  • Players E and F both fail to choose a winner in Gameweek 1 - Players E and F both score 0 points. Players A, B, C and D survive this gameweek.
  • Players C and D both fail to choose a winner in Gameweek 2 - Players C and D both score 2 points (1 from their Basic Score of surviving one gameweek, and 1 Bonus Score for being joint 3rd). Players A and B survive this gameweek.
  • Players A and B both fail to choose a winner in Gameweek 3 - Players A and B both now have their Basic Score fixed at 2 points having survived 2 gameweeks, but must enter Sudden Death to determine who gets the 3 Bonus Points and who is left with 2 Bonus Points.
  • Player A choose a winner in Gameweek 4 while Player B does not - Player A receives the 3 Bonus Points and finishes the round with 5 points overall. Player B receives the 2 Bonus Points and finishes the round with 4 points overall.
  • Final Points Tally for the round:
  • Player A = 5 points (Basic Score 2, Bonus Score 3)
  • Player B = 4 points (Basic Score 2, Bonus Score 2)
  • Player C = 2 points (Basic Score 1, Bonus Score 1)
  • Player D = 2 points (Basic Score 1, Bonus Score 1)
  • Player E = 0 points (Basic Score 0, Bonus Score 0)
  • Player F = 0 points (Basic Score 0, Bonus Score 0)

Hopefully that all makes relative sense, it should become more clear when we've played the first round.

Rounds

That pretty much sums it up. Please see the [Poll] topic to vote which rounds you'd like to see follow the Premier League round. I will use this thread to post updated tables after each round so keep your eyes out for that. If someone could stick this to the top of the sub-forum I'd appreciate that.

Hope everyone has fun! Any questions about the scoring system are welcome.

• Upvote 2

• 2 months later...
  • Administrator
11 minutes ago, Bluewolf said:

You know how I feel about things being in alphabetical order @RandoEFC... I should be just behind Batard but more importantly in front of Stan.. 

I'm just glad he received my payment in good time and stuck to his promise. Can't go wrong with @RandoEFC. He's a good lad. 

• 2 months later...
  • Subscriber

Here is the table after Round 2 (Bundesliga)

Position - Name - Points

1 - @The Palace Fan - 12 points

2 - @José - 11 points

3 - @Panna King - 9 points

=4 - @RandoEFC - 8 points

=4 - @Viva la FCB - 8 points

=4 - @Lucas - 8 points

=4 - @nudge - 8 points

5 - @Batard - 7 points

6 - @...Dan - 6 points

7 - @Bluewolf - 5 points

=8 - @Eco - 4 points

=8 - @Stan - 4 points

=8 - @Cicero - 4 points

=8 - @Dan - 4 points

=8 - @Cannabis - 4 points

=8 - @DNA - 4 points

=8 - @Tommy - 4 points

=8 - @binder - 4 points

=8 - @Harry - 4 points

=8 - @Storts - 4 points

9 - @SchalkeUK - 3 points

=10 - @Spike - 2 points

=10 - @BounceAroundTheGround - 2 points

=10 - @StefBWFC - 2 points

=11 - @Bluebird Hewitt - 1 point

=11 - @JOSHBRFC - 1 point

=11 - @Azeem - 1 point

=11 - @robosys - 1 point

=12 - @Dr. Gonzo - 0 points

=12 - @Rucksackfranzose - 0 points

=12 - @Rick - 0 points

=12 - @Mel81x - 0 points

=12 - @DeadLinesman - 0 points

=12 - @shut up - 0 points

=12 - @bozziovai - 0 points

=12 - @LFCMike - 0 points

=12 - @YNWA - 0 points

On we go to Round 3.

• Upvote 4

• 2 months later...
  • Subscriber

Standings after the completion of Round 3 - Serie A:

Position - Name - Points

1. @Lucas - 21 points

2. @Viva la FCB - 19 points

3. @The Palace Fan - 14 points

=4. @José - 13 points

=4. @Panna King - 13 points

5. @...Dan - 11 points

6. @RandoEFC - 10 points

=7. @nudge - 8 points

=7. @Storts - 8 points

=8. @Batard - 7 points

=8. @Rucksackfranzose - 7 points

=9. @Bluewolf - 5 points

=9. @Stan - 5 points

=9. @Tommy - 5 points

=10. @Eco - 4 points

=10. @Cicero - 4 points

=10. @Dan - 4 points

=10. @Cannabis - 4 points

=10. @DNA - 4 points

=10. @binder - 4 points

=10. @Harry - 4 points

=10. @Dr. Gonzo - 4 points

=11. @SchalkeUK - 3 points

=11. @Spike - 3 points

=11. @StefBWFC - 3 points

=12. @BounceAroundTheGround - 2 points

=12. @Azeem - 2 points

=12. @DeadLinesman - 2 points

=13. @Bluebird Hewitt - 1 point

=13. @JOSHBRFC - 1 point

=13. @robosys - 1 point

=13. @Mel81x - 1 point

=14. @Rick - 0 points

=14. @shut up - 0 points

=14. @bozziovai - 0 points

=14. @LFCMike - 0 points

=14. @YNWA - 0 points

=14. @AMG - 0 points

Massive performances in the Italian leg from Lucas and Viva see them fire to the top of the standings as the season draws to its conclusion. Look out for the start of Round 4 everyone!

• Upvote 4

• 1 month later...
  • Subscriber

With four out of five rounds completed, here are the latest standings. The season title is Viva's to lose now:

1. @Viva la FCB - 28 points

2. @Lucas - 21 points

3. @The Palace Fan - 18 points

4. @RandoEFC - 17 points

5. @José / @Panna King / @...Dan - 13 points

6. @Bluewolf - 12 points

7. @Eco / @binder - 11 points

8. @Rucksackfranzose - 9 points

9. @nudge / @Storts - 8 points

10. @Batard / @Stan - 7 points

11. @Tommy / @StefBWFC - 5 points

12. @Cicero / @Dan / @Cannabis / @DNA / @Harry / @Dr. Gonzo / @DeadLinesman - 4 points

13. @SchalkeUK / @Spike - 3 points

14. @BounceAroundTheGround / @Azeem / @CaaC - John - 2 points

15. @Bluebird Hewitt / @JOSHBRFC / @robosys / @Mel81x - 1 point

16. @Rick / @shut up / @bozziovai / @LFCMike / @YNWA / AMG - 0 points

• Upvote 4

On 24/02/2019 at 14:42, DeadLinesman said:

We should do MLS. I’d pick LA Galaxy and they’d still somehow lose to Buttfuck Winsconsin FC.

Just stay the hell away from Atlanta United, we have enough issues. 

• Administrator
51 minutes ago, Bluewolf said:

As with all competitions it should go without saying that I am happy to finish in any position, in any league as long as it's above @Stan 

Have I done something to you in this life or a past life xD?!

• Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...
47 minutes ago, Viva la FCB said:

Thanks guys, this was alot of fun to keep up with. Big thanks to @RandoEFC for the dedication and effort to keep this going. The run with @Lucas in Serie A was probably the highlight for me that was ridiculous xD

Agreed. That was insane. Will that ever be done again? Probably not.

I had a terrible La Liga. Out Week 1 and that was probably game, set and match. Up to then, we'd been level pegging in Premier League, Bundesliga and just nicked Serie A. 

Well played to you, very worthy winner, and Rando for running it, been good fun and I think as the comp has gone on, it's been well fine tuned to prevent endless weeks.

Edited by Lucas
  • Upvote 1

• This topic was pinned and featured