talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

The Heatwave

football forum

• Administrator
8 hours ago, Storts said:

I hate heat - I'm a cold weather person, well Spring/Autumn ideally - blue skies and sun, but not the heat.

This country just isn't suited to this weather. I don't mind it when you have a/c but I don't have it home or at work so there is no respite other than sitting in the car and pumping it up 😂

Buy a fan? 

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply
51 minutes ago, Stan said:

Buy a fan? 

When the heat gets above 32°C all the fan does is move hot air around giving a sensation of coolness but is in actual fact warming.  It just does more harm by drying either your skin or your throat when you breath that air in.  Air Conditioning is even worse though!

The issue is getting to sleep because once that's achieved you're alright. But if you also have very high levels of humidity and heat then that's impossible because not even an ice cold shower before going to bed helps as you're sweating immediately and that sweat adds to the heat sensation with that sticky feeling to boot.

• Subscriber

I don't like AC, but the best solution for me for those really hot nights is to take a cold shower, cool the room down with AC before going to bed, and then just use a fan to move the cool air around. Perfect.

• Subscriber
1 hour ago, SirBalon said:

When the heat gets above 32°C all the fan does is move hot air around giving a sensation of coolness but is in actual fact warming.  It just does more harm by drying either your skin or your throat when you breath that air in.  Air Conditioning is even worse though!

The issue is getting to sleep because once that's achieved you're alright. But if you also have very high levels of humidity and heat then that's impossible because not even an ice cold shower before going to bed helps as you're sweating immediately and that sweat adds to the heat sensation with that sticky feeling to boot.

Exactly!

I have a fan - but it's next to useless when it gets this hot - and just leaves me feeling worse in the morning.

When I was living in Queensland I worked in a greenhouse on a farm, I started work at 6am. There were times where by 8am the greenhouse reached 40 degrees, at 8a-fucking-m. Would be anywhere in the high 30s the rest of the time.

I had a water bottle that I froze over night, a big litre bottle. I'd leave it in a room, let it slowly melt, and about every half hour would get to drink what was essentially ice cold water. Fucking majestic. Nothing tastes better than water when you're dehydrated, let alone dehydrated, doing manual labour, jumping in plastic tanks cleaning them with full PPE (goggles, mask, gloves) because the acid could either take your eyes out or KO/kill you if you didn't dilute it enough (even if you did it'd still fuck your eyes up).

Long story short, I love the hot weather. Middle of Summer, wearing full tradies gear, plus a mask and wandering around with a trimmer doing gardening too. Fewer feelings better than just letting the sun melt you away, I'd take that any day of the week over the freezing cold rain constantly drizzling over you. Grey rainy skies making everywhere as dull as dishwater and ruling our loves so much that when the sun finally does come out, everyone's in shock!

I don't miss the manual labour, but I miss living in flip-flops, shorts and a vest. It's all you need. The eventual skin cancer would be a pain and so would your skin drying up like a crisp, but the rest is perfect.

6 hours ago, SirBalon said:

That's impossible to sleep!

I remember in Valencia it would get to 26ºC at night which was bad enough, but the humidity at that heat was the worst because even moving your eyelids made you sweat.

You can sleep some hours as indoor temperature is lower, humidity is really not that high and you can take some additional measures.

3 hours ago, Storts said:

Exactly!

I have a fan - but it's next to useless when it gets this hot - and just leaves me feeling worse in the morning.

10803b---water-atomizer.jpg

It’s been hot as fuck here, and the “summer” here basically goes right up until winter - there’s no real autumn, it just gets hotter and hotter.

Almost everyone here has air conditioning though, myself included, so it’s not quite as bad as when it gets really hot in England because I can escape the heat. I just hate going outside though because I feel like I’m melting.

5 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

It’s been hot as fuck here, and the “summer” here basically goes right up until winter - there’s no real autumn, it just gets hotter and hotter.

Almost everyone here has air conditioning though, myself included, so it’s not quite as bad as when it gets really hot in England because I can escape the heat. I just hate going outside though because I feel like I’m melting.

Where are you at the minute

37 minutes ago, The Rebel CRS said:

No word of a lie, since @Gunnersauraus made this thread, there has barely been any sun. Mainly overcast dull days and some times heavy rain, this is after months of hot weather and barely any rain. He has seriously jinxed it xD

Reminds me of 2007 when Rhianna was number 1 with umbrella for 9 weeks and it rained all the time 😁

1 hour ago, Bluewolf said:

Been sweating buckets here mate... 

We had a couple of days of rain and then right back to the sun, looking a bit overcast now though.. might get a bit of rain tonight who knows

I'm down in Kent in 3 weeks on Monday so hopefully it stays the same down that way.

19 hours ago, Kowabunga said:

Around here, outdoor temperature hasn't been below 30ºC until 3.00 AM, that is, until 15 minutes ago

23 hours ago, SirBalon said:

That’s some serious heat. What’s the temperature like at night?

It was 33º C, at 03h00 last night. 

Tomorrow will be a shit day. 

8 minutes ago, ASF said:

It was 33º C, at 03h00 last night. 

Tomorrow will be a shit day. 

WOW! 😱

That’s too much at night!  Hope you’ve got air con because at that temperature during the night is way too much. 

18 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

WOW! 😱

That’s too much at night!  Hope you’ve got air con because at that temperature during the night is way too much. 

Got a fan and a column that spills fresh air.

I definitely need to buy an A/C. 

18 hours ago, SirBalon said:

WOW! 😱

Your weak 😩

I've slept in these temperatures with never mind AC with no electricity at all and dont forget the mosquitos :coffee:

And i've been doing this since i was a kid. 

• Administrator
25 minutes ago, ASF said:

47.º C, at the moment, where I live. 

Been refreshing myself every 20 minutes. Doing this, the day has been surprisingly bearable. 

On 28/07/2018 at 00:28, Gunnersauraus said:

12 hour shift tomorrow so talkum powder and Vaseline ready

hope you're taking this advice @ASF :ph34r:

Archived