talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

New Stadium/Development

football forum

• 2 months later...

How sad it is to see one of the most iconic grounds in the game being torn down.

I'm so glad I got to go here and see a game in it's original form. It will look glitzier, have a fancy roof etc, but it won't quite be the same.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • Administrator

AC Milan looking to move away from San Siro

AC Milan have announced plans to move from their iconic San Siro home and build a new 70,000-seater stadium in the south of the city.

The club has filed preliminary proposals to the city council in the suburb of San Donato.

The San Siro has been Milan's stadium since 1926, but it has not been modernised since the 1990 World Cup.

They share the ground with city rivals Inter as joint tenants and repeated attempts to modernise it have failed.

In August, a local heritage commission deemed the ground has "cultural interest" so cannot be knocked down, forcing both clubs to look elsewhere.

As well as a stadium, AC Milan also hope to build a club headquarters, hotel, club shop and museum.

"For over four years, we have embarked with conviction on a journey aimed at giving our club one of the best stadiums of the world, which is able to accompany us into a victorious and sustainable future," said chairman Paolo Scaroni.

"This represents a preliminary step in the evolution of this process but, at the same time, it is further proof of our ownership's commitment to guaranteeing continuous growth for AC Milan both on and off the pitch."

The San Siro - or Stadio Giuseppe Meazza to give it the proper title - is known all over the world for its distinctive red girders and spiral towers, but the facilities within the stadium are basic and in dire need of renovation.

However, the cost to renovate the existing stadium would be significant, so Inter and AC Milan have been considering alternative plans for several years.

In 2021 the two clubs announced plans to share a new 60,000-seater stadium on the existing site dubbed 'The Cathedral'. However, protests, appeals and objections meant the project stalled, with the heritage commission's announcement last month ending any chance of the existing ground being demolished.

Like AC Milan, Inter are also now considering building their own ground elsewhere, with a site in Assago, a small town to the south of Milan, being assessed.

• 1 month later...

Can't lie the more I see of the inside of the new Everton stadium the more boring it looks...it weirdly looks like the old White Hart Lane. You'd think there'd be more going on inside to make it stand out a bit more seeing as it's brand new and they're not constricted for space.

1 hour ago, Danny said:

Can't lie the more I see of the inside of the new Everton stadium the more boring it looks...it weirdly looks like the old White Hart Lane. You'd think there'd be more going on inside to make it stand out a bit more seeing as it's brand new and they're not constricted for space.

I know, what an unfashionable construction site it is.