talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

July 2018 - Member of the Month

football forum

All this nonsense does kind of take the gloss of what is a deserved award for those that make a good effort to contribute something to this community on a monthly basis... Those that contribute fleetingly week to week and then start to get tears in their eyes because they didn't make the cut will get no sympathy from me... 

I couldn't tell you who posts where all the time as I don't get on here 24/7 so I think it's fair to let those that are on here more make that decision so those that didn't make it for whatever reason can go and have a cuddle from mummy.. as for those that did and continue to do so thanks for putting in the time and effort it's appreciated... 

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber

I want to preface my viewpoint on this by pointing out that we're arguing over something that amounts to a line of text on someone's profile, which doesn't even link to their real life name or identity, on an internet forum frequented by a smattering of people that they probably don't know in real life. That's not to say I don't appreciate positive feedback on my contribution by being awarded this month, I think highly of this community as there aren't many places on the internet these days with such a high proportion of quality posting, so I'm happy that people think I've done my part. I'll still have my say though.

In an ideal world the community should probably vote for the Member of the Month. However, that lends itself to people who contribute very well but in the lesser-trodden areas of the forum to being overlooked if the masses (which lets be honest are the casual Premier League section posters in the main) don't see what they post.

As probably one of the few non-staff who at least skim reads every topic in the forum when it gets updated you can see that there are people who post quality stuff in a narrow range of topics, or run one of the prediction leagues for example, and others who are better known across the forum because they make a lot more okay posts in a wider range of topics. Both are contributing well to the forum, just in different ways where one doesn't necessarily have to better than the other. The staff between them have a good overview of the forum, it's not like one person is just choosing their favourites this time.

I'm making an assumption here but I'm certain I'm correct, the staff will look at the positive rep points received by the top posters in the month while making their decision about Member of the Month. This means that everyone is having their say as everyone has the means to give each other positive reputation for good posting.

Perhaps something we should all be more aware of if we want this to be "fair" in our own eyes is that if we see what we deem to be a good post that makes the forum a better place to talk about stuff, give it an upvote. I think we're all guilty of looking at the rep system the wrong way at times and we upvote posts when we agree with the person's opinion but ignore the more well thought out posts that we don't agree with rep-wise.

Obviously sometimes you will upvote a witty one liner which is fine, but if you want to show the staff that you think someone is a great poster, give them rep when they post good stuff and if they're posting it a lot and getting rep from many people then that will bring them to the attention of the staff. I think it's quite simple personally.

3 hours ago, Stan said:

Quote me where I say that staff don't listen. 

I'll wait. 

You are aware I was being sarcastic?? xD

I think the way it’s done is fair. If I had to vote, I’d have no clue who’s posted well across the forum. I stick to off topic usually and that’s mainly a laugh. 

The one and only time I won this award (since 2004) TFF ended up collapsing so I’m more than happy not winning it ha ha 

Congratulations Rando!

7 hours ago, Toinho said:

I think the way it’s done is fair. If I had to vote, I’d have no clue who’s posted well across the forum. I stick to off topic usually and that’s mainly a laugh. 

The one and only time I won this award (since 2004) TFF ended up collapsing so I’m more than happy not winning it ha ha 

Congratulations Rando!

You are here since i was 6 :o

• Subscriber

Also I've just read this - congratulations Rando, super choice, thoroughly deserved, always make time to read your posts.

On the actual topic ffs - Marc was baiting, but who actually cares? It's fine as it is - why change it

1 hour ago, Toinho said:

@Bluewolfwas 60!

Xmas Card List... 

Toinho

1 hour ago, Storts said:

The old ones are the best

Don't make them like us any more mate...  some might utter the words "thankfully" under their breath as they walk away... but we will be missed when we are gone.. 

17 hours ago, Stan said:

Quote me where I say that staff don't listen. 

I'll wait. 

Stan, you know I like you and I'm not trying to sound too much like a prick, but Gunnersaurus and Teso are right - 90% of the time the staff don't listen to regular criticism.

This has nothing to do with the community voting idea - that is totally up to you and the staff and is honestly not a big deal since its just a virtual award, but if there is another issue, at least when it comes to me I get laughed off by Cannabis and formerly Batard about my suggestion and even got warnings in the past because of it. 

I'm not the one who chooses how this forum is run, so I don't have a say, and we're all grateful for the work you all do but yes, criticism is often just laughed off and that's a problem in my opinion.

I'm not trying to escalate the issue too much as my comment has nothing to do with this suggestion and while you do have final say on everything, it doesn't always mean we'll be on board with it.

Just out of curiosity Stan was there a reason why the voting went from the members to the staff?? 

We used to do that before and to be honest that burden of guilt has now been lifted from us onto you lot.. 

Nothing worse than having 3 or 4 standout members for the month and just having to vote for one of them.. 😃

• Administrator
4 minutes ago, Bluewolf said:

Just out of curiosity Stan was there a reason why the voting went from the members to the staff?? 

We used to do that before and to be honest that burden of guilt has now been lifted from us onto you lot.. 

Nothing worse than having 3 or 4 standout members for the month and just having to vote for one of them.. 😃

fresh start on this new forum. staff discussed when TF365 began on how to do it. Various ideas were floated around but common consensus was to have staff vote for their top 3 in the month - 5 points for 1st; 3 points for 2nd and 1 points for 3rd.

Votes are then added up and it's been like that since March/April last year. In our view, and dare I say the majority of people on here too, agree with that and that it's a fair way of deciding :)

I prefer the MOTM voted by the community, but I apologize if my comment was what caused this whole debacle. Its not that big of a deal and that the staff always vote for their friends, its just my opinion. At the end of the day, its just an internet award and nothing gamechanging to how the actual forum is run itself. Either way, I apologize if I sounded like a prick. 

My only issue with the staff is what I stated above, but how this award itself is run it doesn't bother me. I just prefer it by the community.

The voting method used where the staff select as to why people deserve the MOTM award is a good method as things stand because as Bluewolf alluded to, it lifts a weight off someone's shoulders so as to not feel compelled to vote for people you feel more of a affection to be it in friendship or whatever. 

When the staff vote I can guarantee all of you that it's done totally and fully with regards to who merits it in terms of having offered most to the forum in terms of quality and of course activity.  Most of the time it's an extremely close run thing.

1 hour ago, Stan said:

fresh start on this new forum. staff discussed when TF365 began on how to do it. Various ideas were floated around but common consensus was to have staff vote for their top 3 in the month - 5 points for 1st; 3 points for 2nd and 1 points for 3rd.

Votes are then added up and it's been like that since March/April last year. In our view, and dare I say the majority of people on here too, agree with that and that it's a fair way of deciding :)

Yea, I don't have a problem with it to be honest.. I don't see all the posts all the time in every part of the forum and sometimes you can miss out on a good debate somewhere or some really good posts from people so it seems fair that staff and their all seeing eyes make the decision.. 

• Subscriber
1 hour ago, Bluewolf said:

Xmas Card List... 

Toinho

Don't make them like us any more mate...  some might utter the words "thankfully" under their breath as they walk away... but we will be missed when we are gone.. 

I miss you every time we are apart

4 hours ago, Storts said:

Also I've just read this - congratulations Rando, super choice, thoroughly deserved, always make time to read your posts.

On the actual topic ffs - Marc was baiting, but who actually cares? It's fine as it is - why change it

Excuse me Nicholas. 

• The topic was unpinned

Archived