talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Reo Griffiths Joins Lyon

@Storts

Lyon are in advanced talks with Tottenham to sign their young striker Reo Griffiths, Sky Sports News understands. 

The 18-year-old's youth terms with Tottenham were extended into a third-year scholarship at the end of the season but he now looks set to leave the club.

Griffiths scored 33 goals for Spurs' U18 side last season but found the step up to U23 level more challenging.

German club RB Leipzig, whose sporting director is former Spurs head of recruitment Paul Mitchell, have also been interested in signing Griffiths.

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • This topic was locked and unlocked
  • Subscriber

@Stan

Thought I'd reply here so the Germans don't get annoyed at taking over their topic!

To answer your question, yeah I know a fair bit about him.

Basically - i'm not as disappointed about this one than the others we have lost this summer. Reo's goalscoring last season in the U18's was incredible. Record breaking stuff and was far too good for that level.

However two caveats to this are: a) Until last year he was very very ordinary - then he went through a massive growth spurt, got a lot stronger than most of the competition and got a lot of his goals due to this new found physicality. It's a classic case in youth football of a player being advanced in his development than others around him. And b) when he made the step up to the U23's last year he was anonymous. He couldn't handle that step up and whilst young, if you are good enough to be banging them in for the U18s then surely you should be able to play in the next level up.

Ultimately again he had a bit of an attitude problem. He didn't want to sign pro terms with us. He wanted more money because traditionally we are terrible payers at youth level (how it should be) and you can get far more at other clubs. Foden supposedly on 20k at City at 17. Reuben Loftus-Cheek on 10k+ at Chelsea at the same age - but he also wanted first team games and he's just not ready for it at all. I'd be surprised if he made it at Lyon but we'll see. 

Archived