Tuesday 7th August, 2018
Middlesbrough vs Sheff Utd, 19.45
Nottingham Forest vs West Brom, 19.45

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator

1 hour ago, Smiley Culture said:

Opening games of the season on a Tuesday? Not a fan of that. 

Honestly finding it hard to pick my teams for this year’s promotion bet. All three leagues are wide open IMO. 

48 minutes ago, Cannabis said:

Imagine waiting until Tuesday to kick off, great for us lot watching on TV but it's a bit mad that :o

As @Smiley Culture it's hard to pick who's going up. There are ingredients for surprise in each division.

The teams playing on Tuesday are their 2nd games though? They all play on the Saturday as well.

• Administrator
1 hour ago, Smiley Culture said:

Didn't notice. Is there a full round of fixtures or just a few then?

Just a few. Those 4 on that Tuesday aren't scheduled to play on 21st/22nd August when the rest of the league does. No idea why.

6 hours ago, Smiley Culture said:

Opening games of the season on a Tuesday? Not a fan of that. 

Honestly finding it hard to pick my teams for this year’s promotion bet. All three leagues are wide open IMO. 

In The Championship I imagine 'Boro and Aston Villa will be up there again with Stoke City. I can see another team going up with either of them two and it being someone completely as unexpected as Cardiff and Huddersfield were 

In League One last season the three relegated teams took well to the league. I reckon Barnsley could struggle but Sunderland seem to be sorting out their house and are capable of replicating Blackburn and Wigan. Burton will stand a very good chance with Clough in charge. Again the third place could be a mystery but the likes of Pompey, Plymouth etc seem to be building good momentum and wouldn't be a massive surprise.

League Two I reckon looks most open. You'd fancy MK to come straight back up with Tisdale, but at the same time the three other relegated teams have a history of performing well at league two, Lincoln and Notts County look likely to improve, and there's the matter of Swindon and Chesterfield expecting a vast improvement.

9 minutes ago, The Palace Fan said:

In The Championship I imagine 'Boro and Aston Villa will be up there again with Stoke City. I can see another team going up with either of them two and it being someone completely as unexpected as Cardiff and Huddersfield were 

In League One last season the three relegated teams took well to the league. I reckon Barnsley could struggle but Sunderland seem to be sorting out their house and are capable of replicating Blackburn and Wigan. Burton will stand a very good chance with Clough in charge. Again the third place could be a mystery but the likes of Pompey, Plymouth etc seem to be building good momentum and wouldn't be a massive surprise.

League Two I reckon looks most open. You'd fancy MK to come straight back up with Tisdale, but at the same time the three other relegated teams have a history of performing well at league two, Lincoln and Notts County look likely to improve, and there's the matter of Swindon and Chesterfield expecting a vast improvement.

Chesterfield would have to win the Conference and League Two in one season? Bit beyond them, I reckon. 

Just now, BounceAroundTheGround said:

No.

xD

Met a Rovers fan while in Russia, and it was actually during their promotion campaign which was exciting. Don't really care too much for them, but watch their results. 

Just glad football's back personally.

I feel like Rotherham are a banana skin waiting to happen home or away, but realistically we should be looking to win. After last season's slow start we can't have another and I imagine that's something that'll be on the players and managers minds.

There is potential for our forwards to absolutely blitz this division; Ollie Watkins second season in the Championship, still young, confident dribbler of the ball, good technique. Alan Judge has just been eased back into half a season of football after a serious leg injury. With a pre-season behind him he's got every chance of finding his feet again even if he's not the same player he was, because back then he was unstoppable in this division. Emiliano Marcondes destroyed the Danish league which whilst isn't full of giants, still has decent sides in it. He took a while to adapt having joined us in January so similar to Judge but without the injury, now has a full pre-season behind him to try and hit the ground running. Neal Maupay scored 13 goals last season, not an amazing amount but it was his first season in England and with the team. He doesn't naturally suit our style of play but with the bedding in he's had last season I think he'll up his tally this season. Sergi Canos is a player with a lot of drive and good technique, but he struggled last season. He's a lot better than he showed and he'll be up for showing that this season in a more settled side. To add to them with have Said Benrahma and Chiedozie Ogbene, the former a supposedly decently rated signing from France and Algerian international, the latter a promising signing from Ireland who had Premier League sides sniffing before we signed him. And then add onto all of them, the main man, puller of the strings and scorer of technical shots rifled into bottom corners Romaine Sawyers.

Longer post than I anticipated, if all of the above reach the expectations they've either set in this division, with or without injuries, or set in other divisions, then we will have a very potent strikeforce. Though that's not how football always works so I don't think we'll be blitzing the division, but they'll cause anyone a lot of problems. Hopefully starting with Rotherham :D

Looking at betting and there’s literally no form to go off, unless you’re a weirdo and think that pre-season friendlies actually matter and have some sort of relevance. It’s so hard to predict for the first month or so. 

Tempted by Brentford to beat Rotherham though. Was also looking at Tranmere to beat Stevenage based on literally nothing at all. 

13 hours ago, Danny said:

Just glad football's back personally.

I feel like Rotherham are a banana skin waiting to happen home or away, but realistically we should be looking to win. After last season's slow start we can't have another and I imagine that's something that'll be on the players and managers minds.

There is potential for our forwards to absolutely blitz this division; Ollie Watkins second season in the Championship, still young, confident dribbler of the ball, good technique. Alan Judge has just been eased back into half a season of football after a serious leg injury. With a pre-season behind him he's got every chance of finding his feet again even if he's not the same player he was, because back then he was unstoppable in this division. Emiliano Marcondes destroyed the Danish league which whilst isn't full of giants, still has decent sides in it. He took a while to adapt having joined us in January so similar to Judge but without the injury, now has a full pre-season behind him to try and hit the ground running. Neal Maupay scored 13 goals last season, not an amazing amount but it was his first season in England and with the team. He doesn't naturally suit our style of play but with the bedding in he's had last season I think he'll up his tally this season. Sergi Canos is a player with a lot of drive and good technique, but he struggled last season. He's a lot better than he showed and he'll be up for showing that this season in a more settled side. To add to them with have Said Benrahma and Chiedozie Ogbene, the former a supposedly decently rated signing from France and Algerian international, the latter a promising signing from Ireland who had Premier League sides sniffing before we signed him. And then add onto all of them, the main man, puller of the strings and scorer of technical shots rifled into bottom corners Romaine Sawyers.

Longer post than I anticipated, if all of the above reach the expectations they've either set in this division, with or without injuries, or set in other divisions, then we will have a very potent strikeforce. Though that's not how football always works so I don't think we'll be blitzing the division, but they'll cause anyone a lot of problems. Hopefully starting with Rotherham :D

I have you as my surprise package, like I did two years ago and you failed me.

4 minutes ago, Smiley Culture said:

Looking at betting and there’s literally no form to go off, unless you’re a weirdo and think that pre-season friendlies actually matter and have some sort of relevance. It’s so hard to predict for the first month or so. 

Tempted by Brentford to beat Rotherham though. Was also looking at Tranmere to beat Stevenage based on literally nothing at all. 

Yeah, it's really open this year. The top five teams i'm impressed with on paper are Villa, Stoke, 'Boro, Brentford and Sheffield United. Yet they've all lost at least one big addition to their team and we don't know how that will effect them.

• Administrator
8 minutes ago, Smiley Culture said:

yeah I don't do win accas for first few weeks. Usually go for goals though.

I will also say that I'm so excited this season is finally getting around to starting. For years, I've moved to 'flavors' in the English league as I've never really have loved one particular team considering I have zero connections to them all outside of Bristol Rovers since I have a signed kit of theirs from years back. 

Regardless, this is where football is at it's finest. No, it's not the most talented football in the country, but see more of a 'local' feel to these matches and they seem to hold some key of what football was like back in the 60's and 50's, which local teams traveling to other cities, and taking it personally when their team, their city, lost. Nowadays in the EPL we see suits and non-English people all over the place, cheering on a team from an area that they have no real oath to, just basically chose a team from a hat. 

Personally, I have always loved the 'lower' leagues in England, and just wish that I supported one through thick and thin, glory days and dark days, promotions and relegations. Maybe this year will be different and I'll actually find some team that I fall in love with and am able to watch their matches online. But whether I do, or I don't, the point is that this is the greatest time of year, and I"m just happy the Championship -L2 are all back. 

Good luck to everyone's team out here :ay: 

Just found out that ESPN+, which I have, will show a lot of English Championship games and a couple of lower league matches. 

This week, they are showing - 

Today's Match
Ipswich Town vs Blackburn
Sheffield United vs Swansea City
Sunderland vs Charlton Athletic
Leeds United vs Stoke City

giphy.gif

• Administrator
34 minutes ago, Eco said:

Just found out that ESPN+, which I have, will show a lot of English Championship games and a couple of lower league matches. 

This week, they are showing - 

Today's Match
Ipswich Town vs Blackburn
Sheffield United vs Swansea City
Sunderland vs Charlton Athletic
Leeds United vs Stoke City

today's match is Reading vs Derby mate. 

3 minutes ago, Stan said:

today's match is Reading vs Derby mate. 

I know..and Leeds are Sunday. I was just listing all the matches on ESPN+. 

Today's Match being one of them. 

It wasn't that long ago that you were able to watch every EPL match here in the States without having to pay a minor fortune. The fact that now I pay an additional $5 a month for ESPN+, and it includes the majority of Championship Matches is an absolute bonus. 

• The title was changed to 2018/19 Football League > 3rd-7th August
  • The topic was unpinned

Archived