talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

2018/19 Football League > 3rd-7th August

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

All in all a good start to The Championship season.

I felt after a slow start last night's game turned out to be a good advertisement for the league. Mannone would be kicking himself for the way the first goal went in but the second goal was from a cross capable of winning a game at any level. Great impact substitution.

Brentford looked good on the highlight show. Canos in particular looking impressive with his strength, pace and skill. Two of the goals I felt could have been prevented by Rotherham being more alert, but the goal from Watkins was a great strike, and the final goal was just a "hows your luck" moment.

Wigan already look better going forward than they did two years ago. They beat a team that are no mugs at this level in Sheffield Wednesday too. As the season progresses, they shouldn't let in the easy goals that they did today too.

Bolton beating West Brom was a real 'Welcome to The Championship' moment. The first goal was purely due to a lack of anticipation from a naive defence, and Bolton were unlucky not to be two goals up from a corner shortly later. Harvey Barnes goal though was sheer class, and West Brom did grow in to the game after that. Once again though, the second goal could have been prevented. I guess West Brom will feel hard done by not to get a point after the header against the cross bar, but this might be the early rocket up the arse they need.

It looked like a good game at Brammall Lane and maybe I was being a little harsh on Swansea. They more than matched Sheffield United after The Blades scored a well worked goal, and on the balance of the play probably deserved to win the second half. I was interested to see if Oliver McBurnie would keep the impressive performances from Barnsley up and he seems more than capable of doing that.

It looked like QPR made it too easy for Preston today and really Preston should have scored more. With the transfer embargo I do worry for them.

The Birmingham / Norwich game looked very open. There seemed to be a number of chances before the goals started. Connal Trueman should feel an element of guilt for the first goal, and the guy that got the assist for the last minute winner must be thanking his lack of balance.

Ipswich Town's new kit looks shit. The defending for the two goals they let in was shit too. It must have been devastating for Blackburn to have dropped points to a really late fluke of a goal. That all said, Gwoin Edwards looks like he's going to have a big impact on Ipswich's season.

Millwall must have been kicking themselves after a good start. Not really sure what happened for the second goal but you take them as they come. They really should have killed the game off after that and only have themselves to blame that Middlesbrough managed to score two plucky goals.

It's typical that Weimann scored a debut goal after we all slagged the signing off. It looked like in the highlights that Forest deserved a point after Bristol dominated the opening.

5 hours ago, Danny said:

@DNA how did Egan do?

Lots of handbags on Twitter between our supporters and yours over whether Egan is a big signing or not, how we let O'Connell go and Mawson being thrown into the equation too xD

His distribution isn't great is it, just one game I know.. but a little disappointed he's our record signing. Seems solid enough when tested but it was an underwhelming debut, forgot he was playing.

28 minutes ago, DNA said:

His distribution isn't great is it, just one game I know.. but a little disappointed he's our record signing. Seems solid enough when tested but it was an underwhelming debut, forgot he was playing.

It's one of the reasons we got rid of him, good enough player but when someone's willing to offer £4m.

I'm sure he'll improve defensively (only saw a 3 minute highlight, looked like he struggled for their second goal) and he'll grab you a goal or two as well.

• Subscriber
21 hours ago, Stan said:

West Brom equalise. Harvey Barnes! @Dan:D 

Have you seen the goal? That is outstanding considering it's on his weaker foot.

This is the final step for him before he gets some time with us I hope. Cannot see why he got recalled from Barnsley last year to be given two FA Cup appearances and no more.

• Administrator
4 minutes ago, Dan said:

Have you seen the goal? That is outstanding considering it's on his weaker foot.

This is the final step for him before he gets some time with us I hope. Cannot see why he got recalled from Barnsley last year to be given two FA Cup appearances and no more.

yeah, brilliant goal from him. goes to show what's in his locker.

I reckon he came back under the intention that he would play more but perhaps there were other factors which prevented that - maybe he didn't train well or didn't have the same confidence as he did at a lower level. That's why I don't mind him going to a team like West Brom where there's more of a Premier League feel about the club as opposed to MK Dons or Barnsley.

Disappointing (but not surprising) to concede a late equaliser but overall I was very impressed by our performance in our first game back in the Championship especially after going a goal down very early. Nice to see Dack and Graham get off the mark early too. The equaliser was such a soft, flukey goal too but shouldn't deflect from a really solid performance. 

1 hour ago, Cannabis said:

Saw the highlights of your game, Bradley Dack seriously impressed me again. I'd put good money on him playing Premier League football soon.

I agree. He has been impressive in pre-season and has taken last year's form into this season it seems. His game has improved so much in the last 12 months and if he continues to work hard there is no reason he can't play at a higher level. The other player who has got a very good chance of playing at a higher level is our central defender Lenihan. He has already learnt an Ireland call up despite playing in League One, and he has been excellent again this pre-season. We will do well to hang on to both in the next few transfer windows however both are on long term deals so if they leave we will get very good money for them so its win win.

• Administrator

Leeds go ahead!!

Mathias Klich is played through well by Saiz and he slots past Butland with ease. Pieters playing him on and all other Stoke defenders statuesque.

1-0!

• Administrator

Leeds are playing some lovely stuff. 

Nice link-up play especially down the left with Douglas, Alioski, Saiz and Roofe all involved at times.

• Administrator
1 minute ago, RandoEFC said:

Leeds deservedly ahead here. Stoke have a good side for the Championship on paper but their back line looks uncertain whenever Leeds come at them.

I reckon this ends 1-1.

right on cue :P

• Subscriber
2 minutes ago, Stan said:

right on cue :P

xD

That's about the worst possible timing for Butland. Last chance to impress before the transfer window shuts in less than 4 days or he gets stuck in the Championship with Stoke.

• Administrator
Just now, RandoEFC said:

xD

That's about the worst possible timing for Butland. Last chance to impress before the transfer window shuts in less than 4 days or he gets stuck in the Championship with Stoke.

he'd actually made a couple of good saves before that. but of course the calamities and mistakes are the only ones that get remembered!

• The title was changed to 2018/19 Football League > 3rd-7th August
  • The topic was unpinned

Archived