talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Guardiola - Klopp - Mourinho

Who knows where this thread can go but for now it starts of with a curious look at how all three coaches have summarised their respective younger players they've taken on tour.

Each coach with his own particular method when in reference to their fringe or youth players.

Pep Guardiola

"I'm satisfied with what these guys have done on this tour.  We've come here with a lot of very young players and at the start only using one player from what would be considered the first team. I've had a great couple of weeks with these kids and all I can do is thank them."

Jürgen Klopp

"All these youngsters we've brought have been in great form. What a great preseason they've had.  I'm very happy with their progress."

Jose Mourinho

"We started with a lot of players that won't be in the team when the 9th of August arrives.  This is not my team, not half and not even 30% of my team!  Do you guys think Alexis Sánchez is happy with the players he's had around him?  We're here to survive and try not to end up with disastrous results."

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
23 minutes ago, Stan said:

almost as if these are the only 3 managers that matter in this league.

I think it's about how three very high profile managers have handled a situation in similar circumstances when relaying their comments to the public arena.

Maybe also adding who may already be feeling pressure without the season having started or even displaying some sort of discord internally and sending a message to those in charge?

• Subscriber

This tells me two things.

1) let's not miss the fact that Guardiola and especially Klopp have been very well PR trained, know how to say the right things and get fans and media on their side, positive perceptions etc. In both cases, great managers, Klopp in particular has a good personality behind him which I think is genuine, and I also think these particular quotes are reflective of both managers' outlook on their youth players. However, we're all intelligent people here and we shouldn't be too naive. Both of these managers have also carefully chosen their responses here to lead to a certain perception and to lead to the creation of debates like this where I'm sure the route we're about to go down is going to be one of praise for these two and criticism for the third guy. 

2) On the other hand, I'm going to bite. Comments like these from Jose, even if you want to try and justify it as him putting pressure on the board, are extremely damaging for those players who were out on the pitch. How do you feel as a young footballer who's probably just gone and bust a gut trying to impress your manager, this massive figure in football, and he comes out and says that after the game? It either says that he doesn't rate you as a footballer, or that he's at least willing to put quotes out to millions of people across the world throwing you under the bus for the sake of pressuring his board into potentially signing another player or two for him.

I don't dislike Mourinho as much as most people do. I still disagree with the accusations of dour football thrown at him as he still won two trophies of note in his first season at United and they still finished above everyone bar the unstoppable City side we saw last season, but it's hard to get away from the growing feeling that this is a beginning of the end thing for him at United. He doesn't give off the impression of a man who wants to dig in and scrap over the next few years in order to catch and challenge Manchester City. Jurgen Klopp does give off that impression and while I've spoken about PR at the start you can't achieve that just from PR, you have to believe it too, and the evidence doesn't come from these particular quotes which are ultimately meaningless, it comes from what his team delivers on the pitch. Guardiola, too, looks like someone who is around to try and dominate for many years yet.

I'd be disgusted with any manager of Everton football club who publicly spoke about the fringe or youth players in the squad in the terms Mourinho has his here.

• Subscriber

I'd imagine a lot of those youngsters at United are looking at themselves and asking what their next destination for growth will be. I don't disagree with Mourinho's assessment of them because at the end of the day he sees the players in training and what they can and cannot do. However, throwing statements in like Alexis would want better players around him are completely unwarranted and do zero favors to a youth player's growth which will include knowing that a manager is backing you to do good things for the club.

58 minutes ago, The Artful Dodger said:

I don't think Guardiola has done all that much for the youngsters at Manchester City yet really (as in players that are not in the first team, Sterling is young but he was a first team player already) he is best at working with the already proven.

I don't even think Pep's developed Sterling as a footballer, to be honest, he's just found a way to get the best out of him. He looks great in that City team, but take him out of that and put him in, say, the England team, and he's exactly the same player we had at Liverpool.

52 minutes ago, Burning Gold said:

I don't even think Pep's developed Sterling as a footballer, to be honest, he's just found a way to get the best out of him. He looks great in that City team, but take him out of that and put him in, say, the England team, and he's exactly the same player we had at Liverpool.

agreed. He's still the pacy player capable of a tap in after a fine team move but his end product hasn't developed much at all... i wonder whether anything would have been different if he'd stayed at Liverpool and developed under Klopp.

My guess is he'd be much better off but mainly because he'd have avoided the very damaging situation with Aidy Ward and the massive price tag that still leads to him getting a disproportionate amount of flack from football fans in the UK... 

• Subscriber

I can't remember the source but I think Pep actually commended his off-the-ball work at drawing defenders out of position to create space more than his goal-scoring (or lack thereof) abilities. He's still not the person you want running onto an open ball with a chance on goal but if you watch his outside-the-box play its vastly improved from his time with us.

Kloop my young players have done well

Guardiola.  My young players have done well.

Mourinho my young players are shit but they are all going anyway and i don't know why people pay to see them. Wow what a manager 

6 hours ago, SirBalon said:

Pep Guardiola

"I'm satisfied with what these guys have done on this tour.  We've come here with a lot of very young players and at the start only using one player from what would be considered the first team. I've had a great couple of weeks with these kids and all I can do is thank them."

Jürgen Klopp

"All these youngsters we've brought have been in great form. What a great preseason they've had.  I'm very happy with their progress."

Jose Mourinho

"We started with a lot of players that won't be in the team when the 9th of August arrives.  This is not my team, not half and not even 30% of my team!  Do you guys think Alexis Sánchez is happy with the players he's had around him?  We're here to survive and try not to end up with disastrous results."

Two managers tow their clubs public line, one manager tells the truth.  It’s that simple

11 minutes ago, The Liquidator said:

Two managers tow their clubs public line, one manager tells the truth.  It’s that simple

Whether Klopp and Pep are towing the public line or not, Mourinho speaking about his youth and fringe players in the way he did isn't just being truthful... It's a fucking cunts trick. 

Throwing his own players under a bus in a tantrum over not getting another £300m to spend on new ones is what constantly keeps getting himself sacked.

Maybe he should take note because lets face it, he's running out of rich or oil funded clubs he could go and manage. 

Just now, LFCMadLad said:

Whether Klopp and Pep are towing the public line or not, Mourinho speaking about his youth and fringe players in the way he did isn't just being truthful... It's a fucking cunts trick. 

Throwing his own players under a bus in a tantrum over not getting another £300m to spend on new ones is what constantly keeps getting himself sacked.

Maybe he should take note?

Look I am not defending him. This is how he is. When clubs go after him they promise him things. When they dont materialize he tends to have no buffer in his dealings with the media. For me it's as my previous post he told the truth and the other two are saying what the club want to hear on their money making trips with 2nd n 3rd eleven players... its that simple.

Tell me what this trick is please?

It’s a question of man management isn’t it? 2 of them are putting out a public statement that sends a positive message to young players. The other manager who never plays kids unless there’s an absolute emergency and wants the board to sign him some players is throwing them under the bus. Also all summer Mourinho’s been getting excuses in, this is the same. “Oh woe is me, the World Cup is cutting into my pre-season. How ever will I coach my team of experienced international footballers to put 10 men behind the ball at all times?”

tl;dr - Pep & Klopp, good man managers; Mourinho, bad man manager & shrieking cunt

3 minutes ago, Teso dos Bichos said:

Klopp the world most expensive cheerleader/motivator is at it again! Maybe if he continues with this positive feedback, his squad can finally start changing his pathetic finals record. We can only hope. 

Do you agree with Mourinho throwing youth and fringe players under a bus in front of millions of fans world wide? 

It says a lot about you as a person if the answer is yes.

Archived