talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Kristho's Schland! - Off Topic

8 hours ago, nudge said:

Yes, I haven't heard of him for ages, too... In fact, the last thing I remember reading about him was him and his friends inventing the Snaxcup while he was injured xD 

xD same. I mean, there was the off-hand shit about him runnin around at Mainz from time to time, but he never really did anything. Then he just disappeared from my radar. I actually thought he hung up the boots to manage his food innovation business.

11 hours ago, nudge said:

Yes, I haven't heard of him for ages, too... In fact, the last thing I remember reading about him was him and his friends inventing the Snaxcup while he was injured xD 

I think that bombed too. I mean, it looks ridiculous :D

B38e681CUAA7x6r.jpg

Today I ordered the Fortuna Düsseldorf Promotion shirt: 

uhlsport-fortuna-duesseldorf-f95-aufstie

While I sometimes find these shirts a bit cringy or silly, I absolutely love this one. An homage to one of my favourite songs:

I wonder how many German footballers are directly related to openly Nazi ancestors. Something that never really occurred to me because there is a huge disconnect in my mind between modern Germany and Nazi Germany. I imagine many are related to former soldiers and military personal but I'm talking about Hugo 'I'm actually a member of the party' Boss level. A guy I lived with both of his grandparents were in the Wermacht and were even a part of those bizarre eugenic Aryan programs to make Aryan children. Bloody well easy to forget that it hasn't even been a century.

4 hours ago, Spike said:

I wonder how many German footballers are directly related to openly Nazi ancestors. Something that never really occurred to me because there is a huge disconnect in my mind between modern Germany and Nazi Germany. I imagine many are related to former soldiers and military personal but I'm talking about Hugo 'I'm actually a member of the party' Boss level. A guy I lived with both of his grandparents were in the Wermacht and were even a part of those bizarre eugenic Aryan programs to make Aryan children. Bloody well easy to forget that it hasn't even been a century.

You got a lot on your mind for someone who comes from a country who basically wiped out all of the natives. 

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, Tommy said:

You got a lot on your mind for someone who comes from a country who basically wiped out all of the natives. 

What is your problem? Just fucking say it mate and don't hide behind that sort of bullshit. God forbid someone asks a sincere question about Germany.

Edited by Spike

5 minutes ago, Spike said:

What is your problem? Just fucking say it mate and don't hide behind that sort of bullshit. God forbid someone asks a sincere question about Germany.

I don't have a problem at all. But a thought like that never crossed my mind. I don't even know if I'm related to some Nazis. I know an uncle of my father lost a leg in WW2. Who gives a shit? 

9 minutes ago, Tommy said:

I don't have a problem at all. But a thought like that never crossed my mind. I don't even know if I'm related to some Nazis. I know an uncle of my father lost a leg in WW2. Who gives a shit? 

Who gives a shit? It's called curiosity, it's called understanding the past. Shit, my brother has a different father and I know for a fact that someone in his heritage has shot Aboriginals but that has no bearing on himself as a human, why is that important? It's to understand and appreciate the past. When you know, that someone close in your heritage has done horrible actions, it makes it so much more corporeal. The moment it's forgotten is when it happens again. I was just curious about the degree of understanding German people have for their past especially celebrities, rather knowing the skeletons of the past, I now know that they hide their heads in the sand. So thanks for answering my question.

I am and you are definitely related to murderers, rapists, and theives, and despite all that we are none of those things. Doesn't that interest you in the slightest? Despite the sins of the father humans carve independent roads? That in less than a century a country can go from being a fascist-ethno state to the forerunners of tolerance in Europe?

Edited by Spike
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, nudge said:

You can be sure the Germans haven't forgotten about the past because they are still being constantly reminded about it. Surely you can understand that most have absolutely no desire to dig deeper anymore and maybe are even annoyed by it because it has been rubbed to their faces for almost a century now? I honestly don't know of any country that has done more to acknowledge and memorialise the mistakes of its past than Germany.
Most families harbour some sort of personal history from the war, the majority probably had family members that served as simple conscripted soldiers (no different from any other nation that was involved in war), some surely had family members that were at some point sympathisers or members of the party, much less had family members directly linked to the top tiers of the regime, etc. I think the current 30-40 year olds are the last ones who still know that part of the family history as we had our grandfathers living through that time and our parents born shortly after, so probably heard at least some of the stories growing up. I also think for the majority is simply a fact and not something you would over-analyse anyway.

Thanks for the mature response. IMHO it is when memories fade that people make the same mistakes. For instance their is a reason why young people get around pretending to be fascists, nazis, and communists it is because they are from a world that never experienced any of those things.Of course for most of the  time it is a phase that won't amount to anything but all it takes is one incident to ruin lives.  On my own side my paternal grandfather uncle is a war hero from the pacific. Books written in how great he was, only forgetting he was a notorious cheat and a liar. Poisoning horses with lead during races, amongst other dodgey things. Nothing to serious but something that would be lost in time if not told verbally.

Edited by Spike

2 hours ago, Tommy said:

GOOOOAAAAAAALLLL TONI KROOS, YAAAAAAY. Oh fuck, Hitler's Cousin from another mother. Never mind. 

It is funny that you would make this joke when I explicitly said that it doesn't matter what people ancestors did on personal level.

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, Spike said:

My country did have a lot of Nazis during the war, and afterwards their children were bullied extremely harshly. Those children were of my parents generation, and to me the idea of burdening young men with the actions of their family is a low thing to do. If the media or anyone else knows of players with family ties to e.g war criminals they should keep quiet about it.    

15 minutes ago, Relling said:

My country did have a lot of Nazis during the war, and afterwards their children were bullied extremely harshly. Those children were of my parents generation, and to me the idea of burdening young men with the actions of their family is a low thing to do. If the media or anyone else knows of players with family ties to e.g war criminals they should keep quiet about it.    

That is a fair enough sentiment. As I said earlier, the knowledge isn't to burden people with the sins of the father. I would think, as I said with the disconnect between the past and the present, it's a sensitive issue but to forget entirely is a travasty, and a mistake. I don't think this regime will ever be idolised but looking at the past and it's atrocities you'll find eventually in time they stop having an impact. I speak not just for the children of Nazi Germany, but the world over -as the times of WW2 influence more than the Germans. Do the times of Genghis Khan mean anything to you? Do you feel anything about the millions killed? I don't particularly, I can't speak for you but I can't imagine you're outrage would be that severe. In time the same thing will happen to WW2, and when people forget is when repeat history. My question was more of a larger curiosity in the mind frame of a country that has evolved incredibly over the last 150 years. I'm not here to rub it in people's face or remind them of things they don't want to, I just want to understand the German mindset.

Aren't there people in Germany rallying around the flags of Neo-Nazism in this day and age? Perhaps if they knew the reality they wouldn't be flying those flags. Of course, the reality of it doesn't exist anymore because it's in the past but when things become blurry they are much easier for weak minds to romanticise.The same logic applies to many places, many people from Turkey deny that an Armenian genocide even occurred. 

Edited by Spike

6 minutes ago, Spike said:

That is a fair enough sentiment. As I said earlier, the knowledge isn't to burden people with the sins of the father. I would think, as I said with the disconnect between the past and the present, it's a sensitive issue but to forget entirely is a travasty, and a mistake. I don't think this regime will ever be idolised but looking at the past and it's atrocities you'll find eventually in time they stop having an impact. I speak not just for the children of Nazi Germany, but the world over -as the times of WW2 influence more than the Germans. Do the times of Genghis Khan mean anything to you? Do you feel anything about the millions killed? I don't particularly, I can't speak for you but I can't imagine you're outrage would be that severe. In time the same thing will happen to WW2, and when people forget is when repeat history. My question was more of a larger curiosity in the mind frame of a country that has evolved incredibly over the last 150 years. I'm not here to rub it in people's face or remind them of things they don't want to, I just want to understand the German mindset.

Aren't there people in Germany rallying around the flags of Neo-Nazism in this day and age? Perhaps if they knew the reality they wouldn't be flying those flags. Of course, the reality of it doesn't exist anymore because it's in the past but when things become blurry they are much easier for weak minds to romanticise. 

Knowing history is important. But specific family ties to atrocities discussed openly, I believe is not. And i think it illusory that there would be no element of pride or shame involved concerning your family. If one has an interest in one's own grandfather's story is a totally different issue, and should be up to the individual    

Edited by Relling

2 minutes ago, Relling said:

Knowing history is important. But specific family ties to atrocities discussed openly, I believe is not. And i think it illusory that there would be no element of pride or shame involved concerning your family. If one has an interest in one's own grandfather's story is a totally different issue, and should be up to the individual    

That is true. I'm not saying it's a requirement that it be known in public. My initial question was more of a rhetorical one; musing the idea of how many or how little people are related directly - as it's impossible to know. Also a curiosity of how open the knowledge is.

• 2 weeks later...