talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Kristho's Schland! - Off Topic

2 minutes ago, Tsubasa said:

They just found a 1000 pound WW2 bomb in the district next to mine. The people living in the area have to be evacuated immediately as they're going to defuse it in half an hour. I'm out of the danger zone, hopefully! :D 

Wait, are you serious? 

Just now, Ubuntu said:

Wait, are you serious? 

Yup, it's not unusual. Usually on construction sides they always find old WW2 bombs that didn't detonate on impact. This one is American. So if I die, it's on you! 

Just now, Tsubasa said:

Yup, it's not unusual. Usually on construction sides they always find old WW2 bombs that didn't detonate on impact. This one is American. So if I die, it's on you! 

Hold on Cowboy!

Jesus, that's insane. I love Germany (as I'm sure you know), and want to move there. I appreciate what that country seems to stand for, but I just assumed all thought of WW2 and bombs were swept under the rug .

Glad you're okay

2 minutes ago, Tsubasa said:

Don't answer if you find this insensitive or don't want to answer. But you are literally from a country that had the more evil military force of all time, so how do you feel about it as a German, and out of curiosity, did you have any family members part of Nazi Party? 

I had a lot of family fighting for the 'South' in the Civil War, so while I by no means agree, thinks it's interesting. 

Nope, there are still tens of thousands of bombs in the grounds all over Germany. 

4 minutes ago, Ubuntu said:

Don't answer if you find this insensitive or don't want to answer. But you are literally from a country that had the more evil military force of all time, so how do you feel about it as a German, and out of curiosity, did you have any family members part of Nazi Party? 

I had a lot of family fighting for the 'South' in the Civil War, so while I by no means agree, thinks it's interesting. 

Hmm, I know that my Great-Grandfather was a prisoner of war in Russia. But I also have a great-grandfather who was supposedly French (named Dupont). So I'm half Nazi half victim really :P But to be serious, I don't feel guilt or anything, as my generation, and even the generation before me had nothing to do with it. But there's always that sense that we have the responsibility to make sure that history doesn't repeat itself. I want to visit a Concentration Camp one day, even though I imagine that it's a REALLY depressing experience. 

• Upvote 1

My great-great uncle died in a dogfight during WW2. I don't know where he was stationed. On the other side of my family my great-great uncle is a legitimate war hero of the pacific. Escaped and rescued dozens of soldiers in Japanese POW camps. A book was even published on the old bastard.

3 minutes ago, Tsubasa said:

Nope, there are still tens of thousands of bombs in the grounds all over Germany. 

Hmm, I know that my Great-Grandfather was a prisoner of war in Russia. But I also have a grandfather who's from Poland originally, and a great-grandfather who was supposedly French (named Dupont). So I'm half Nazi half victim really :P But to be serious, I don't feel guilt of anything, as my generation, and even the generation before me had nothing to do with it. But there's always that sense that we have the responsibility to make sure that history doesn't repeat itself. I want to visit a Concentration Camp one day, even though I imagine that it's a REALLY depressing experience. 

Kudos - I've been to Auschwitz and it broke my heart. Also visited Normandy which again, broke my heart. 

I'm not Jewish, but the whole idea to people our age seems almost 'unreal'. No need to feel bad about it though for you

Normandy would be amazing to see as well. I saw so many documentaries about it. Most feel surreal to see THAT place with your own eyes. 

Funnily enough, I've never been to Berlin before as well. I really want to go there, and see where the Führerbunker was etc. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Tsubasa said:

Normandy would be amazing to see as well. I saw so many documentaries about it. Most feel surreal to see THAT place with your own eyes. 

Funnily enough, I've never been to Berlin before as well. I really want to go there, and see where the Führerbunker was etc. 

Kudos to you sir. I'm 31 and I cried at Normandy. Just couldn't take all the historical significance of that beach and hold my emotions in check. 

So, the bomb still hasn't been defused. Over 8000 people had to be evacuated. 

2197148545.png

I'm from Düsseldorf Unterrath, which you can see on the left of the map. Luckily it's just a small part of Unterrath that had to be evacuated. I'm good! 

• Subscriber

Thats amazing that they're still finding stuff like this kicking around.

I just rewatched Band of Brothers recently speaking of such things, really alot of powerful scenes and moments. My Grand Father was a plane mechanic before he ended up crashing and fleeing Germany during the war with my Oma and their kids. I wish i had the chance to talk him more about all that, one of my greatest regrets. 

• Subscriber

There are still hundreds of millions of UXOs around the world, including Europe, where hundreds or thousands tons are being uncovered each year, it's madness. 

It's even worse in Cambodia or Laos, you still can come across the landmines/uxo warning signs in rural areas.

• Subscriber

Tell me about it; I have some friends visiting for over a week, and it's been a weird week trying to combine beer, whisky, work and fun. I haven't slept more than 4-5 hours each night since last Wednesday.

Also tried eating frog for the first time.

Sinus issues going on here. Have to help a buddy move which means I'll be missing the Gladbach match. He's a follow ATL UTD ST holder therefore I doubt we'll go into that match. 

Just had another conversation with Cisco, it's looking more and more likely I'll be having a new job in a matter of months. 

• This topic was featured and unfeatured