talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Kristho's Schland! - Off Topic

12 hours ago, nudge said:

I prefer this:

Dj0rjSoWwAAOY5d?format=jpg&name=medium

Underberg is gaining trendiness in the States. I have several in my drawer right now, but I will say I'm a sucker for digestiffs, it's definitely better than the bizarre culture around Jagermeister.

11 hours ago, Tommy said:

Well, good question. I don't know any other. But I think originally, rheinischer is made with horse meat. Although I don't really it like that. :35_thinking:

What is the difference besides horsemeat?

It's hard to get right, there is a famous German restaurant nearby (not just Bavarian mind you, but definitely a bias towards the famous Alpine foods of Bavaria and Austria, with quite a few Hungarian foods throw in for good measure) . I've had their sauerbraten a few times and I've made it before, but it's tricky to get the roasting right without drying out the cut, because typically I find a less fatty cut is used.

The beer selection is exquisite.

• Upvote 1

• Subscriber
12 hours ago, Spike said:

Underberg is gaining trendiness in the States. I have several in my drawer right now, but I will say I'm a sucker for digestiffs, it's definitely better than the bizarre culture around Jagermeister.

I'm personally not really into bitters/Kräuterliköre so I don't think I ever tried Underberg haha. Appenzeller and Kümmerling are alright but I only drink them if I get offered one after a meal somewhere.

On 27/02/2020 at 11:14, nudge said:

I'm personally not really into bitters/Kräuterliköre so I don't think I ever tried Underberg haha. Appenzeller and Kümmerling are alright but I only drink them if I get offered one after a meal somewhere.

I've always liked herbal liquors like absinthe and chartreuse so it's only natural to like digestiffs and bitters.

Seriously, it was almost impossible to get noodles, rice or flour by yesterday evening. My aunt works for Edeka, and they only let a few people at a time into the store, with assistance from the police. 

Mental. 

• Subscriber
2 minutes ago, Tommy said:

Seriously, it was almost impossible to get noodles, rice or flour by yesterday evening. My aunt works for Edeka, and they only let a few people at a time into the store, with assistance from the police. 

Mental. 

Yeah mass hysteria is a thing haha.

4eaf4bd2f6d60d1abad2e32a3283661a.jpg

:4_joy:

• Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • Subscriber
33 minutes ago, Tommy said:

So this will be the only active Bundesliga topic for the next few weeks. How's everyone doing? What measures are you taking when it comes to the virus?

Nationwide quarantine is expected to be announced here sometime next week (reportedly once the first local transmission is confirmed) so I still have to buy more beer tomorrow just in case. Other than that, nothing has changed for me personally, really. I spend most of time at home working and studying anyway and don't get in contact with many people as I was supposed to stay here just temporarily (well it will definitely be longer than I expected now though). My favourite pub has closed yesterday as a precaution anyway so there's no temptation there either haha. I normally used to eat out almost every day but I reduced it to a minimum now and just cook at home or get food delivered/takeaway. Do grocery shopping twice a week or so; just like always. Other than that, just washing hands often but I've always been doing that anyway as I wear contacts so it's kind of routine... 

Doing pretty well otherwise. My workload has been pretty heavy lately and I also spend additional 15-20 hours on the course I'm currently doing online as well. Got some clarity in personal relationships too. Missing racing though.

• Upvote 1

I have got a bit of a sore throat, so I think I try to avoid people as much as possible. I often have that in the winter, but I guess one must be on the safe side. The plan was to visit my parents for Easter, but my father does not have much of an immune system due to chemotherapy, and is not a young man either, so I am very unsure what I should do there. I hope my doctor will have some conclusive advice. There is no excuse for not cleaning the apartment, and the chance of getting a lot of reading done should be good.

7 hours ago, nudge said:

Doing pretty well otherwise. My workload has been pretty heavy lately and I also spend additional 15-20 hours on the course I'm currently doing online as well. Got some clarity in personal relationships too. Missing racing though.

Are you studying something interesting?

• Upvote 1

• Subscriber
2 hours ago, Relling said:

Are you studying something interesting?

Doing a MIT course program on data science and programming using Python, with a hope to dive into artificial intelligence/machine learning afterwards :)

44 minutes ago, nudge said:

Doing a MIT course program on data science and programming using Python, with a hope to dive into artificial intelligence/machine learning afterwards :)

That does sound very interesting to me :) I understand Python has some useful packages for AI/ML. I really want to get some handle on what these topics are about, it all seems very intriguing, but for now classical scientific computing is more than enough to handle. If you ever need a quick intro to the basics (for instance I think the good old optimization methods are abundant also in machine learning) these videos are recommended: https://podcasts.ox.ac.uk/series/scientific-computing-dphil-students 

• Upvote 1

• Subscriber
1 hour ago, Relling said:

That does sound very interesting to me :) I understand Python has some useful packages for AI/ML. I really want to get some handle on what these topics are about, it all seems very intriguing, but for now classical scientific computing is more than enough to handle. If you ever need a quick intro to the basics (for instance I think the good old optimization methods are abundant also in machine learning) these videos are recommended: https://podcasts.ox.ac.uk/series/scientific-computing-dphil-students 

Will check it out, thank you!

Yes I also always found it fascinating and wanted to move into the field when I was done with my Master's, but for various reasons that never happened. Python and data science in general is useful for my current job so it was a good reason to start the course anyway, the AI & ML part is just for my own interest though :) just struggling with the time a bit. I usually work 50+ hour weeks and have some other commitments, so it can be tricky to find additional 15-20 hours sometimes, especially since the practical problems are quite challenging and I'm often mentally exhausted after work. But I love it. Nearly finished with the introductory course now :)

Now here's one for a big Aaaah

On 25 March we are due to fly to Las Palmas for our 50th Wedding anniversary holiday and My (and Manuel's and Isuto's) birthday.  We fly out with Easy Jet  (still flying as at now) and Back on 1st April with Jet2 (cancelled all Spain flights today for a period not specified - including Balearics and Canaries)  our hotel is (online) not now taking any bookings for the period we are due to stay there so not sure if they are staying open or not.  Looks as if we might have to stay in miserably cold UK unless we are told otherwise - watch this space...9_9

1 hour ago, SchalkeUK said:

Now here's one for a big Aaaah

On 25 March we are due to fly to Las Palmas for our 50th Wedding anniversary holiday and My (and Manuel's and Isuto's) birthday.  We fly out with Easy Jet  (still flying as at now) and Back on 1st April with Jet2 (cancelled all Spain flights today for a period not specified - including Balearics and Canaries)  our hotel is (online) not now taking any bookings for the period we are due to stay there so not sure if they are staying open or not.  Looks as if we might have to stay in miserably cold UK unless we are told otherwise - watch this space...9_9

Seriously, I don't get why you even consider still going there, especially considering your age. No offense, but I really don't understand that.

Edited by Faithcore
  • Upvote 3

13 minutes ago, Faithcore said:

Seriously, I don't get why you even consider still going there, especially considering your age. No offense, but I really don't understand that.

That's exactly what I was thinking. Even as a relatively young person I wouldn't want to travel right now. 

Sorry guys but my health is as good as any person 40 or more years younger.  I (we) have always travelled and enjoy being in different parts of the world - sometimes together, sometime on our own.  My trips to the Veltins have been four this season so far and I was looking forward to at least one more this season to meet up with the guys again.  I still keep up my time with the kids (35 of them this morning's session) and having spent a lifetime looking after others my finances are good enough to allow me to enjoy this time so why not take advantage of it.  The virus is no problem to the kids and to fit older folk similarly can be managed.  Sitting in the house and watching the world go by is the pits and if I get to a stage where I can't manage not to do that then I will accept the situation, but too many people - young and old - use the word 'stress' as an excuse to say no and  hide from either responsibility or tough decisions. I was well into my  70's when I first met some of the guys (and gal) on here and I wouldn't have missed that for anything. Thelast thing I ever want to do is look back on a missed opportunity when I can no longer take it and think 'I should  have done that'. Meeting guys like Tommy and watching Manuel, Mesut and others grow up and become the guys they are has a real feeling of satisfaction and I would not have missed that for  anything.  Only when I have to admit and  accept that 'I can't  do that' will I  stop.

As Tommy said. I wouldn't do it at my age either. It would be completely different if you could do it on your own responsibility but you also endanger other people and so i think that's a pretty bad attitude towards the whole thing. I don't mean that in a bad way, but i still cannot understand it.

Of course you don't want to give up your travels but you are not alone with that either.

• Upvote 2

23 minutes ago, Faithcore said:

As Tommy said. I wouldn't do it at my age either. It would be completely different if you could do it on your own responsibility but you also endanger other people and so i think that's a pretty bad attitude towards the whole thing. I don't mean that in a bad way, but i still cannot understand it.

Of course you don't want to give up your travels but you are not alone with that either.

Hey, don't get me wrong.  If I thought for one moment that what I was doing would cause others a problem then it would be a non-starter. If at any moment I have an idea things might not be correct, I will follow whatever advice I am given.  Doing that up to now (viz: exactly listening to and following my doc's comments) has got me to where I am now and I see no reason to ignore similar experienced and proper advice from those who might be younger, but whose knowledge is far greater than mine!  If I planned to fly to Dusseldorf next week and Tommy said 'no' - his local knowledge and advice would over-ride any other wishes I would have.  I wouldn't even ask 'why not'

Further to that, this morning I discussed with the folk running the organisation where I spend time with the kids as to which way we were going to act in the present situation.  Their advice was to carry on unless we were going into some for of lockdown or school closure on advice from the experts.  All the parents agreed. Same sort of thing really.

Edited by SchalkeUK

12 hours ago, nudge said:

Not going to happen anyway. The whole Spain is under quarantine.

You may be right anyway as now the outward flight has been cancelled.  It looks like a delay in everything and at this time our 'leaders' are even thinking of telling over 70's to stay inside for a long period so we may not have any choice anyway!:S

With every country in Europe and beyond imposing - or recommending - sanctions on public gatherings, social events - even religious services, I thought that as all of us will be spending far more time at home - even if that is for work, we should use this forum for continuing contact with friends (and foes) to enable us to try and keep sane whilst our favourite pastime (footy that is) is on hold.  Particularly as the Euro0 2020 has been pushed a year into the future.  I know Tommy likes to comment on parts of his social like (darts and drink) in Dusseldorf and Inga may have to stay in Germany longer than she intended.  Chadwell in probably locked down in the US and Relling's area has been quiet so far - so what is happening where you are and how is it affecting you?  I have had to cancel all my plans for next week's holiday and my Summer German class is now put off until September.  My Saturday kid's Lego group is also ended abruptly - not sure what they are going to do instead but hopefully we will be able to get back together in the Summer.  It's almost the same as being told to stay inside because there isn't anything to go out for - other than the fresh air - assuming that it stays fresh!!!

So what's life like where you are.  I am out for probably my last Dinner for some time tonight, but I know that in parts of Europe there would not be anywhere open to do that!  Don't let this present situation stop our interaction - I know we are all better than that!

Stay nice, keep well and please - despite what we sometimes think to the contrary -don't shut up!  Wenn du denkst du bist allein.....:111_nail_care: