talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Kristho's Schland! - Off Topic

37 minutes ago, Beelzebub said:

What was the reaction back in Germany when German team played that draw against Austria to get Algeria out ? 

I've heard one German player said I'll score one goal for my girlfriend one for my dog before match against Algeria lol

Anger towards the manager and team mixed with embarassement for them. Many of them players were still critized for it, when the WC was long time gone.

Edit: This match is still labeled "Schande von Gijon" (translates to "Gijon shame") in Germany, by the way.

Edited by Rucksackfranzose
  • Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, Beelzebub said:

What was the reaction back in Germany when German team played that draw against Austria to get Algeria out ? 

I've heard one German player said I'll score one goal for my girlfriend one for my dog before match against Algeria lol

So a side note the match didn't end in a draw but 1-0 for Germany. Also you'll  might find it interesting some papers only reported about it in their criminal reports section.

• Wow 1

• 2 weeks later...
6 minutes ago, Beelzebub said:

Fd4kUbkXgAEpmVe?format=jpg&name=small

An intimidating language

Not really though. Unless you trust those youtube videos where someone compares German to other languages while shouting in German and trying to pronounce everything exaggeratedly rough. 

11 hours ago, Tommy said:

Not really though. Unless you trust those youtube videos where someone compares German to other languages while shouting in German and trying to pronounce everything exaggeratedly rough. 

It sounds different to foreigners though mate. I don’t know the accents too well but some sound a lot more guttural than others, how Austrians (Puck, Scharzeneggar) talk for instance is a lot more macho sounding than say Timo Werner who has that accent is in the English world is the ‘effeminate sing songy sounding German Eurotrash’ accent, I don’t know really how else to describe it. Our perceptions of what German sounds like is completely different to you, and I assume @Beelzebub’s would be completely different to mine as his first language (which I’m not sure what it is, Punjabi? Pashto? Pakistan has a lot of languages, he probably speaks several) is even further removed from the Germanic language groups. 

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, Spike said:

It sounds different to foreigners though mate. I don’t know the accents too well but some sound a lot more guttural than others, how Austrians (Puck, Scharzeneggar) talk for instance is a lot more macho sounding than say Timo Werner who has that accent is in the English world is the ‘effeminate sing songy sounding German Eurotrash’ accent, I don’t know really how else to describe it. Our perceptions of what German sounds like is completely different to you, and I assume @Beelzebub’s would be completely different to mine as his first language (which I’m not sure what it is, Punjabi? Pashto? Pakistan has a lot of languages, he probably speaks several) is even further removed from the Germanic language groups. 

Surprising to hear, since the Austrian is one of the softest sounding German dialects. Much less guttural than Swiss German eg.

On a side not Werner sounds effeminate when speaking German as well. Lot to do with his voice and his lisp less with his dialect. , which is actually standard German.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Rucksackfranzose said:

Surprising to hear, since the Austrian is one of the softest sounding German dialects. Much less guttural than Swiss German eg.

On a side not Werner sounds effeminate when speaking German as well. Lot to do with his voice and his lisp less with his dialect. , which is actually standard German.

Interesting. I would have thought otherwise with the big strong voices of Wolfgang Puck and Arnie. But maybe I did know that as I know recall in history class the teacher showing us recording of Hitler and then stating that Hitler [would speak closer to a Bavarian (sic) accent as it was commmanding then his native Austrian accent]. I may have the particulars wrong but that is the general gist of it. Kind of amusing really, as if kids in rural Australia can pickup on the idiosyncrasies of the accents of the German language from 60+ years earlier.

2 minutes ago, Spike said:

Interesting. I would have thought otherwise with the big strong voices of Wolfgang Puck and Arnie. But maybe I did know that as I know recall in history class the teacher showing us recording of Hitler and then stating that Hitler [would speak closer to a Bavarian (sic) accent as it was commmanding then his native Austrian accent]. I may have the particulars wrong but that is the general gist of it. Kind of amusing really, as if kids in rural Australia can pickup on the idiosyncrasies of the accents of the German language from 60+ years earlier.

Well Hitler is actually a bad example for the sound of German language since he had a, and can't stretched that enough, very personal intonation and was shouting half of his speeches anyway.

1 minute ago, Rucksackfranzose said:

Well Hitler is actually a bad example for the sound of German language since he had a, and can't stretched that enough, very personal intonation and was shouting half of his speeches anyway.

That was the point the teacher was trying to make, that he suppressed his natural accent for a personal intonation. 

• Upvote 1

• Subscriber

"Customer is always right" is a bad policy which caters to sociopaths and narcissists, and breeds entitled assholes. My former company's policy when I was working in customer service was basically this - if it's our mistake, we'll apologise and make it right. If it's your mistake but you're nice and polite, we'll do what we can to help you make it right, often at our expense. If it's your mistake and you're a rude and entitled cunt, good luck with it, you're not getting any help. 

• Upvote 4

26 minutes ago, Beelzebub said:

Is it true customer service is very bad in Germany? like customer is hardly ever right. 

It's a cliche brought to the world by English speaking people used to customer services being ass kissing whatever the customer's behaviour. German customer services treat people like they're treated from them.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 3