talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Kristho's Schland! - Off Topic

• Subscriber
5 hours ago, Eco said:

Ah - yeah I guess that does make more sense when you compare the water used in beer, and not bottled water in general. 

I also find it funny how people think American Beer is awful, but only look towards the Budweiser and Coors. 

We have a few breweries here that make fantastic beer. Ommegang, Goose Island, Abita, even Sweetwater here in Atlanta makes great beer. There has been an explosion of micro/craft breweries here in the States, and probably my favorite one is Unknown Brewery. 

I'll see if @Spike and @Dr. Gonzo agree as they both live/have lived in the States for some time. 

I mean tap water in general, which in turn im alluding to water in beer as well yet. Bottle water is another story, its much the same as pop doesnt really change.

• Upvote 1

Please, please don't all fall about laughing, but in all parts of the world where I have travelled, the one bottled 'beer' which tastes the same and I find acceptable is Corona.  I know most connoisseurs will berate this post, but I also like the Belgian wit beers in Oostende with a four inch head!

@Eco @Dr. Gonzo

There is literally nothing wrong with Budweiser or Coors. They aren't anything fancy and don't try to be. For a low price point they are a fine beer to drink, though I don't pretend I'm drinking artisan products. I often have cheap lagers around to drink as a palate cleanser, the clean and simple taste of Blue Labatt or Pabst Blue Ribbon goes a long way and makes me appreciate more complex flavours.

Sadly Gonzo, San Diego isn't the beer Mecca... because Chicago is. Here we have the highest concentration of breweries per square-mile and we also have the most breweries in any American metropolitan area, and that is a fact I read in the Chicago Tribune. Granted, I still feel most breweries make a mediocre and derivative product at a high price point but it's nice to have variety. So I suppose San Diego could have a better selection of local brews but definitely Chicago has the country beat on quantity and choice. I have had many, many, many local brews, so many I cannot remember most; but the two that seem to stick out for constant quality is Pipeworks Brewing and Hop Butcher For The World. So if you are ever in the Chicago area, I'd reccomend find something by those two, although the latter is very difficult to find.

The issue I have with most breweries is the culture of having the 'most XY'. By that I mean a brewery wants to have the 'most sour ale' or the 'hoppiest IPA', rather than having a balanced and complex product they often just double down on one core flavour which for me just makes for terrible drinking. Or oddly enough, they create a product that is less refined than it's counterparts, American hefeweizens, dubbels, trippels, whits, ad nauseam are often a lot easier on the palate, and it's usually a disappointing experience.

However I will put money down that the best craft brewery in the world isn't American at all. It's Canadian, and French-Canadian at that. Unibroue out of Montreal creates beers in the trappist and Belgian style. These beers are phenomenal and it's sacrilege to say but Unibroue rivals and often beats some of the best beers coming out of Belgium; beers that have hundreds of years to be perfected.

I don't mind an IPA. They are feast of famine, I don't have a preference on it's hop level as long as it is balanced.
I dislike sours in general save for the Leipzig Gose and Flemish Red. Very inconsistent.
Dubbels. trippels, blondes and so many other Belgians are phenomenal. 
Hefeweizens, Marzens, Bocks, Dunkels, out of German have my heart.
Lagers never get old even though they are kinda bad, haha.
As far as English style beers go, the Bitter, Pale Ale, etc they are under appreciated and under-brewed. The Australian brewery Coopers makes fantastic Ales and I'd reccomend anyone drink Coopers if visiting Australia.

1 hour ago, Spike said:

@Eco @Dr. Gonzo

There is literally nothing wrong with Budweiser or Coors. They aren't anything fancy and don't try to be. For a low price point they are a fine beer to drink, though I don't pretend I'm drinking artisan products. I often have cheap lagers around to drink as a palate cleanser, the clean and simple taste of Blue Labatt or Pabst Blue Ribbon goes a long way and makes me appreciate more complex flavours.

Sadly Gonzo, San Diego isn't the beer Mecca... because Chicago is. Here we have the highest concentration of breweries per square-mile and we also have the most breweries in any American metropolitan area, and that is a fact I read in the Chicago Tribune. Granted, I still feel most breweries make a mediocre and derivative product at a high price point but it's nice to have variety. So I suppose San Diego could have a better selection of local brews but definitely Chicago has the country beat on quantity and choice. I have had many, many, many local brews, so many I cannot remember most; but the two that seem to stick out for constant quality is Pipeworks Brewing and Hop Butcher For The World. So if you are ever in the Chicago area, I'd reccomend find something by those two, although the latter is very difficult to find.

The issue I have with most breweries is the culture of having the 'most XY'. By that I mean a brewery wants to have the 'most sour ale' or the 'hoppiest IPA', rather than having a balanced and complex product they often just double down on one core flavour which for me just makes for terrible drinking. Or oddly enough, they create a product that is less refined than it's counterparts, American hefeweizens, dubbels, trippels, whits, ad nauseam are often a lot easier on the palate, and it's usually a disappointing experience.

However I will put money down that the best craft brewery in the world isn't American at all. It's Canadian, and French-Canadian at that. Unibroue out of Montreal creates beers in the trappist and Belgian style. These beers are phenomenal and it's sacrilege to say but Unibroue rivals and often beats some of the best beers coming out of Belgium; beers that have hundreds of years to be perfected.

I don't mind an IPA. They are feast of famine, I don't have a preference on it's hop level as long as it is balanced.
I dislike sours in general save for the Leipzig Gose and Flemish Red. Very inconsistent.
Dubbels. trippels, blondes and so many other Belgians are phenomenal. 
Hefeweizens, Marzens, Bocks, Dunkels, out of German have my heart.
Lagers never get old even though they are kinda bad, haha.
As far as English style beers go, the Bitter, Pale Ale, etc they are under appreciated and under-brewed. The Australian brewery Coopers makes fantastic Ales and I'd reccomend anyone drink Coopers if visiting Australia.

Chicago does have very good beer and a lot of breweries. It's also actually the one place I've found where quite a few places had San Diego beers - and there are some really great stores just for buying bottles of beer from literally all over the world in Chicago. So yeah, Chicago might be THE beer Mecca - but I maintain that San Diego is probably the big beer capital west of Chicago.

Virginia's supposed to have a few great local breweries as well. And as @Eco mentioned, Ohio's got quite a few big ones as well.

Texas has some beer companies that are very popular in Texas... but imo they're shite beers - at least the ones I had.

But I disagree on nothing wrong with Budweiser or Coors, other than... they're better than Miller (marginally). If I want a cheap lager, I'd much rather have a Stella or a Becks or one of the Mexican lagers than Budweiser/Coors - and if you buy your cheap beers in bulk (which you should) it's a marginal difference for a better cheap beer. But yeah PBR (I've not had the other one) shits on Budweiser and Coors imo. I don't drink lagers all that much though.

• Subscriber
Just now, Panflute said:

I don't like them. Give me pilsener any day of the week.

All I ever really need to be happy in terms of beer is König Pilsener when it comes to pilseners and Franziskaner or Weihenstephaner or Schneider Weisse when it comes to Weißbier.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Eco said:

@Spike I never said anything was wrong with Bud/Coors Light. I prefer Coors Light, and usually always have some in my fridge. Especially when the Atlanta heat is getting to you, nothing really beats a nice, ice cold, Coors Light. 

I didn't say you did...

1 hour ago, Panflute said:

Another thing I dislike about craft beers is the culture surrounding it. People who drink them pretend to be ale sommeliers and will go out of their way to try and shame people for just wanting to drink a regular damn beer.

I imagine them looking like this

hipster_winter_cup_2013_dpa.jpg

Just now, nudge said:

Good. I'll be pestering you for a while then xD 

Pester away. 

Just sitting here, drinking a German Style beer, watching my College's American Football team kick absolute ass being up 31-0 and it's not even half-time.