talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Kristho's Schland! - Off Topic

• Subscriber
4 minutes ago, ATL said:

Yeah - I looked him up and got it. Didn't remember the group Khmer Rouge though.

Pol Pot isn't really covered much in our history courses.

No wonder, otherwise they'd have to tell you all about your government helping create the conditions that allowed Pol Pot & Khmer Rouge to seize power and secretly supporting them for over 15 years :ph34r:

Seriously though, after talking to many people from various countries, I realise that education in LT was ace.

• Upvote 1

54 minutes ago, nudge said:

No wonder, otherwise they'd have to tell you all about your government helping create the conditions that allowed Pol Pot & Khmer Rouge to seize power and secretly supporting them for over 15 years :ph34r:

Seriously though, after talking to many people from various countries, I realise that education in LT was ace.

Our (US) version of history is way out of order. I realized this mostly in Russia when I was speaking to a WWII Russian vet who taught me the real ways in which Russia won the war, not the U.S. Very eye opening experience.

• Upvote 1

I always remember something he said after a fellow American made the mistake of saying, 'We (US) won the war'. The man sat up straight, and very sternly said, 'Son, it's not wise to assume you won the war, when it wasn't even fought in your country.'

Really opened my mind about the American way of thinking, and how we glorify our efforts on WWII, which were great, but we don't spend enough time on Russia's efforts, or the other countries that fought alongside Hitler and Mussolini (i.e. Hungary).

• Subscriber

Speaking of languages i have a question. How hard is German to learn?any tips? ive contemplated taking some night classes for a number of years to get a basic understanding. My biggest quarrel is i have noone to really practice with much, as both my Oma and Opa have passed and my Dad barely speaks (he can understand nearly fully still) and my Aunt would be the only fluent one around now. Ive had some advice actually to watch subtitled movies?

Yes! It's true.

But seriously, I think subtitled movies may help if your basic understanding is already quite decent. Otherwise I would think it is better to work on that first.

But i'm no expert in learning languages.

Edited by Faithcore

• Subscriber
2 minutes ago, Faithcore said:

Yes! It's true.

But seriously, I think subtitled movies may help if your basic understanding is already quite decent. Otherwise I would think it is better to work on that first.

But i'm no expert on learning languages.

Yeah i dont really mean in that order, sorry my thought process is out of wack as i type sometimes. I just meant as far as to keep it up once you have a basic understanding just because i dont really have a regular outlet to practice. Ive had the subtitle idea suggested which i thought was a good idea but im open to hearing other suggestions if anyone has some? 

• Subscriber
13 hours ago, Viva la FCB said:

Yeah i dont really mean in that order, sorry my thought process is out of wack as i type sometimes. I just meant as far as to keep it up once you have a basic understanding just because i dont really have a regular outlet to practice. Ive had the subtitle idea suggested which i thought was a good idea but im open to hearing other suggestions if anyone has some? 

Watching movies with subtitles is great, listening to radio is great, just reading news and books is great - all this helps you build passive knowledge of a language, but it's crucial to actually practice talking (or at least writing) if you want to gain active command of it, there's no way around it, I'm afraid. 

Edited by nudge
  • Upvote 1

21 hours ago, Viva la FCB said:

Speaking of languages i have a question. How hard is German to learn?any tips? ive contemplated taking some night classes for a number of years to get a basic understanding. My biggest quarrel is i have noone to really practice with much, as both my Oma and Opa have passed and my Dad barely speaks (he can understand nearly fully still) and my Aunt would be the only fluent one around now. Ive had some advice actually to watch subtitled movies?

I think it can help to read German football webpages. You understand a lot just by knowing the context, and if you use a dictionary now and again you can build your vocabulary.  

Edited by Relling
  • Upvote 1

• This topic was featured and unfeatured