talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Matias Vecino - Wanted by Chelsea

Chelsea are in talks to sign Inter Milan midfielder Matias Vecino, according to Sky sources.

Inter are understood to want £32m for the Uruguay international, who featured in each of his country's games at the World Cup in Russia.

The 26-year-old played under new Chelsea head coach Maurizio Sarri at Empoli in 2014/15 and was an integral member for Inter in Serie A last season, making 29 appearances and scoring three goals.

Sarri has already signed midfielder Jorginho from former club Napoli and goalkeeper Rob Green on a free transfer, but it looks like the Italian is keen to further bolster his squad ahead of the transfer window closing on August 9.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator

Spoke about this in the Vidal to Inter thread.

Love the way Vecino plays and works well in the Inter team. Almost too good to be at Chelsea. 

On the one hand you could have Vidal, Vecino and Nainggolan in midfield. 

Or you could have Vecino and Kante at Chelsea. 

Both would be good to watch but I prefer be stays at Inter. 

Yeah Simon Johnson broke this news yesterday stating Sarri had asked the club to look into signing Vecino and Caldara (Something I passed on in our Chelsea thread) and Marina had already been in touch with Inter at the weekend game.

We are becoming over loaded with midfield players and its been pointed out to me we may well go into the season with the lightest midfield in a long long time. I would much rather hear we are in for forwards (preferably ones who put away chances we create).

• Administrator
2 minutes ago, Cicero said:

Could be good cover for Kante. 

Surely means Bakayoko is out the door? 

Vecino should not be used as 'cover' xD 

4 minutes ago, Stan said:

Vecino should not be used as 'cover' xD 

Well he surely won't be used in our attacking midfielder role 

Looks like a box-to-box midfielder from what I've seen. Sarri likes to have an attacking midfielder, box to box, and holding midfielder. 

No way he is starting over N'golo

• Administrator
2 minutes ago, Cicero said:

Well he surely won't be used in our attacking midfielder role 

Looks like a box-to-box midfielder from what I've seen. Sarri likes to have an attacking midfielder, box to box, and holding midfielder. 

No way he is starting over N'golo

Yeah he won't start ahead of N'Golo or be an attacking midfielder.

But my point being that he's good enough to start for most clubs in Europe I think and that I don't think he should move to Chelsea if he's only gonna be cover. 

He'd be competing with Jorginho I presume but the above still stands that he (Vecino) should be starting.

Kante

Jorginho/Vecino

Hazard?

• Administrator
1 minute ago, The Liquidator said:

Agreed, but this adds fuel to the question how does Kante fit into a Sarri midfield?

This on the back of the club offering Kante a new contract worth just short of £300000 a week.

I think Kante fits in to any midfield :D 

£300/k a week is mad though for sure.

1 minute ago, Stan said:

I think Kante fits in to any midfield :D 

£300/k a week is mad though for sure.

True dat ~ but it is to be seen how this new manager uses him.

Have to say as a Chelsea fan, its a nice puzzle to have leading up to the season and its creating huge discussion on the Chelsea forums. Nobody can be confident enough to pick too many Chelsea players for their fantasy teams ~ Who the hell is gonna play?

Your not wrong on the wages!

12 minutes ago, Stan said:

Yeah he won't start ahead of N'Golo or be an attacking midfielder.

But my point being that he's good enough to start for most clubs in Europe I think and that I don't think he should move to Chelsea if he's only gonna be cover. 

He'd be competing with Jorginho I presume but the above still stands that he (Vecino) should be starting.

Kante

Jorginho/Vecino

Hazard?

Good enough? Sorry I disagree. Slight upgrade on Bakayoko but I wouldn't label him in the same bracket as either Jorginho or Kante. 

And in Sarri's system, he doesn't play with a Defensive midfielder. A holding midfielder (Jorginho). A box to box (Alan) and an AM (Hamsik). No way will Sarri just change it up. 

Kante's ball winning ability and pressing would be glorious in Sarri's off the ball press. 

• The topic was locked
  • The topic was unlocked

Archived