talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Newcastle Wrote Letter To Spanish FA Offering Them Benitez

Newcastle United offered the Spain national team the chance to have Rafael Benitez as their coach during the 2018 World Cup after Julen Lopetegui was sacked on the eve of the tournament, Spanish federation president Luis Rubiales has said.

"When I sacked Julen I immediately called Hierro and told him I didn't want to make any changes. Two days later a letter arrived from Newcastle saying 'Are you interested in our coach? He's at your disposition.' We said thanks but no," Rubiales told Spanish radio station Cadena COPE on Tuesday.

"We would have never done that, we couldn't hire Benitez because it would have been acting in the same way for which we reproached Julen."

https://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2018/0731/982267-newcastle-offered-benitez-to-spain-for-world-cup/

WHAT THE ACTUAL FUCK

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator
8 minutes ago, Harvsky said:

apparently it was the other way round when it was first rumoured there may have been talks...

https://talkfootball365.com/topic/5070-fernando-hierro-steps-down-from-spain-manager-role/?tab=comments#comment-190695

I don't know why Ashley would do this. I think having Rafa at Newcastle is one of the things that add to what the club would be valued if they were to be sold. Last season they were punching above their weight on a shoestring budget.

5 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

I don't know why Ashley would do this. I think having Rafa at Newcastle is one of the things that add to what the club would be valued if they were to be sold. Last season they were punching above their weight on a shoestring budget.

Ashley’s type of shareholder can’t be arsed with stuff like creating value or long-term thinking when there’s a sniff of a chance to get some cash in hand. 

Just now, Dr. Gonzo said:

Conspiracy theory time but I wouldn't be surprised if he wants him gone for the same reason they drove Hughton and clan out, power. That might be why they are not giving him much money, try and make him quit as they won't get away with sacking him in the national press, it would get ugly so they need to engineer an exit.

Rafa is constantly slating the hierarchy and telling the fans that they are wise and know exactly what is going on. They must absolutely hate that.

3 minutes ago, Harvsky said:

Conspiracy theory time but I wouldn't be surprised if he wants him gone for the same reason they drove Hughton and clan out, power. That might be why they are not giving him much money, try and make him quit as they won't get away with sacking him in the national press, it would get ugly so they need to engineer an exit.

Rafa is constantly slating the hierarchy and telling the fans that they are wise and know exactly what is going on. They must absolutely hate that.

Ashley would love Wenger 

4 minutes ago, Gunnersauraus said:

Ashley would love Wenger 

He most certainly does, in the first several years of his regime his mouth piece would regularly cite Arsenal and Tottenham as great examples of how to run a club. Their interpretation of those two clubs kept Pardew in a job past his use by date and contributed to the culture of buy to sell. As in buy cheap, buy foreign, sell for twice the price. It got us relegated under McClown. 

6 minutes ago, Harvsky said:

He most certainly does, in the first several years of his regime his mouth piece would regularly cite Arsenal and Tottenham as great examples of how to run a club. Their interpretation of those two clubs kept Pardew in a job past his use by date and contributed to the culture of buy to sell. As in buy cheap, buy foreign, sell for twice the price. It got us relegated under McClown. 

You were always gonna relegated in mcClown. He could relegate man city

The RFEF were totally right to negate on Newcastle United's offer even though it would've been a better option than Fernando Hierro for that brief spell.

Only last week Infantino (FIFA President) said that the RFEF had acted in the only way they should've acted due to the manner in which Lopetegui was approached while on full duty for the national side and that he will be looking to bring new laws so as to punish any football club that approaches an on duty coach at an international tournament.

• Subscriber

"Newcastle saw it as an honour".

I'm sure xD don't even know where to start with that one. Honour pretty much left football when I was an infant if not before. Although going off their transfer spending I suppose Newcastle are a club stuck in the mid 90s :ph34r:.

50 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

"Newcastle saw it as an honour".

I'm sure xD don't even know where to start with that one. Honour pretty much left football when I was an infant if not before. Although going off their transfer spending I suppose Newcastle are a club stuck in the mid 90s :ph34r:.

We can't be that modern, in all Mike Ashley's 11 years we have never spent as much on a player as we did on Alan Shearer in 1996 O.o

Archived