talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Your Trip

football forum

Apologies for the unimaginative titles, but I was watching an around the world documentary and a friend actually did an around the world trip. Well, a Facebook friend rather but one I communicate with online. So this brings the following question.

Not so much an around the world travel, but if you had 20,000 and had 3-4 months, which countries would you go and why?

-----------------------------------------------------------

So I have a few answers since I've been thinking about it

My around the world trip would be mostly in the eastern hemisphere. Perhaps an easy start in South America from Asuncion to Montevideo. Then going from Victoria Falls and going up to Dar es Salaam crossing Zambia and other countries in the meantime. From there, I'll do Russia with minimum time in Moscow and seeing the nature in most of the smaller towns. Go to Mongolia as I find it a vastly underrated country and then ending in Perth/Brisbane/Melbourne. One of the 3.

Lima - Asuncion - Montevideo - Victoria Falls - Dar Es Salaam - Moscow - Ulanbaatar - Australian city that isn't Sydney

Probably to go past the likes of Zambia, Argentina and Brazil (Iguazu)

2nd choice would be Indonesia. While I would be cautious as rules are strict and the country is very muslim-enforced. Not that there is anything wrong with muslims but Indonesia is similar to Saudi I hear that they really want to shove it down people's throats via the law. That's just what I've heard though and I know its not present in the whole country. I would start in Sumatra with Padang, visit Kerinci volcano and the national park to see some tigers and elephants, perhaps also some Orangutans if they are nearby by chance. Then go to Jakarta for a day or 2, then Bali is a no brainer. End in Jayapura and visit the west side of Papua New Guinea as I hear the bigger cities are extremely dangerous. If there are any tours to villages in Vanimo, I'd take it.

Toronto - Shanghai - Singapore (connection)

Medan - Padang - Jakarta - Bali - Jayapura

3rd choice would be the Spirit of Shackleton. Start in Ushuia and do a tour of antartica. Stanley and the South Georgia Islands included.

Buenos Aires - Ushuia (plane)

Ushuia - Stanley - South Georgia - Antartica (ferry)

I did research that one and the tour is $18,000.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator

you'd do very well to do that trip considering your fear of planes!

I'd love to be able to afford an around-the-world trip. Not even money-wise, but time-wise too. Making that sacrifice and commitment to do it.

I'd probably cheat a little and not do it all at once but over a few years and do regions at once. First choice would be South America - explore all the countries in their entirety. Then Australia/NZ and Japan/China as well as Eastern Asia. That'd take a big chunk of time in itself - probably looking at 6-9 months to really get the rewards from all the countries involved (I'd definitely take @nudge - she can be my tour guide ;)).

After that, Eastern Europe - I've done a lot of holidaying in Central/Southern Europe and could easily get there if I fancied it as an extra holiday in future. But Eastern Europe I'd do in one hit - Poland, parts of Russia, Ukraine, Belarus, Croatia etc. 

Then I think the most comfortable one I'd do would be USA/Canada. Probably fly in to California and hire a fucking lovely car to travel on Route 66 and stop on as many places as possible, remote or not, and go all the way to Chicago. I've done Grand Canyon so wouldn't be in a rush to do that again. If time isn't an issue I'd do a lot of intentional veering off the roads to explore nearby states or cities. Would just become one massive road trip which I wouldn't turn my nose up at xD. Would leave Chicago and make my way up to Canada, beginning at Toronto to get some of Niagara Falls in, then proceed west across the country taking in Thunder Bay, Winnipeg, Edmonton, Calgary, Vancouver. I'd be very tempted to go even further north at any point to remote locations bordering on the Arctic Circle. 

Price that up for me mate please @Blue. Cheers.

Just now, Stan said:

you'd do very well to do that trip considering your fear of planes!

I'd love to be able to afford an around-the-world trip. Not even money-wise, but time-wise too. Making that sacrifice and commitment to do it.

I'd probably cheat a little and not do it all at once but over a few years and do regions at once. First choice would be South America - explore all the countries in their entirety. Then Australia/NZ and Japan/China as well as Eastern Asia. That'd take a big chunk of time in itself - probably looking at 6-9 months to really get the rewards from all the countries involved (I'd definitely take @nudge - she can be my tour guide ;)).

After that, Eastern Europe - I've done a lot of holidaying in Central/Southern Europe and could easily get there if I fancied it as an extra holiday in future. But Eastern Europe I'd do in one hit - Poland, parts of Russia, Ukraine, Belarus, Croatia etc. 

Then I think the most comfortable one I'd do would be USA/Canada. Probably fly in to California and hire a fucking lovely car to travel on Route 66 and stop on as many places as possible, remote or not, and go all the way to Chicago. I've done Grand Canyon so wouldn't be in a rush to do that again. If time isn't an issue I'd do a lot of intentional veering off the roads to explore nearby states or cities. Would just become one massive road trip which I wouldn't turn my nose up at xD. Would leave Chicago and make my way up to Canada, beginning at Toronto to get some of Niagara Falls in, then proceed west across the country taking in Thunder Bay, Winnipeg, Edmonton, Calgary, Vancouver. I'd be very tempted to go even further north at any point to remote locations bordering on the Arctic Circle. 

Price that up for me mate please @Blue. Cheers.

I'll do it in a bit mate, and yes I do have a fear of flying, but I also want to travel, so its a big conflict for me! haha

My Father quit his job maybe 15 years ago and did this for 4-5 years. 

I also did this for about 3 years after college. 

My Dad and I agree it was some of the best times of our lives. 

If I went again, I'd probably visit South America. My first trip was mainly based in Europe and Asia, so I would then like to really explore South America, and then head over to Africa, and then hit up SE Asia and NZ/Aus

• Subscriber

My Magnum Opus trip would be the entire Mekong river by boat, so starting from its delta in Vietnam and then via Cambodia-Laos-Thailand-Myanmar to its source in China, and then return by land on a motorbike. Would require more than 3-4 months though, and certainly more than 20,000 :7_sweat_smile:

I’m sure it’s doable but I’d love to tie in a trip like the above with sporting events. I’d like to take in (more) Football on the continent, Football in South America, the NFL, NBA, NHL, MLB etc in the US, Cricket in India and Rugby League in Australia/Papua New Guinea. 

As i mentioned earlier i would do random trips by picking a chit of paper from a model of the globe with all countries name written on them. 

Then i well go there, and one thing else i will have sex with women of each and every country i visit. Then i will make a ledger of all the countries i went and women i had sex with. I'll add pictures and all that.

5 minutes ago, Devon Von Devon said:

Then i well go there, and one thing else i would have sex with women of each and every country i visit. 

That rules out Africa then and Papua New Guinea then :ph34r:

On a serious note.

First of all i would do all of Pakistan.

Then all of South Asia.

Screw SouthEast Asia.

Mongolia China and Japan.

Central Asia with Uzbekistan a must.

All of Middle East excluding the Gulf Countries. 

Then East Europe

Norway in North.

Screw Rest of Europe.

North Africa Yes Please.

West Africa and Mali Nigeria Kenya

Finally South America.

Another thing.

South Asia > South East Asia

I'm surprised how the World exagerrates SE Asia and South Asia is kept in the shadows for some reasons i can understand. But still South Asia has a lot more to offer.

Its called the SUB CONTINENT its like a continent within a continent which says enough about its diversity and culture.

• Subscriber
23 minutes ago, Devon Von Devon said:

Another thing.

South Asia > South East Asia

I'm surprised how the World exagerrates SE Asia and South Asia is kept in the shadows for some reasons i can understand. But still South Asia has a lot more to offer.

Its called the SUB CONTINENT its like a continent within a continent which says enough about its diversity and culture.

Current political climate + political stability + perceived safety...

Another big thing is ease of access. India, Nepal, Maldives, Sri Lanka are all pretty popular tourist destinations, and all offer either visa on arrival or an e-visa for citizens of most countries. Pakistan's visa policy is harsh,  and Bhutan's is even worse. Not sure about Bangladesh.

6 minutes ago, nudge said:

Current political climate + political stability + perceived safety...

Another big thing is ease of access. India, Nepal, Maldives, Sri Lanka are all pretty popular tourist destinations, and all offer either visa on arrival or an e-visa for citizens of most countries. Pakistan's visa policy is harsh,  and Bhutan's is even worse. Not sure about Bangladesh.

Pakistan visa policy is harsh xD Its other way around no one wants our Visa because it will cause you trouble when you travel to other countries.

Why do you Europeons ignore Central Asia ?

Due to Soviet Union religion has been wiped out from there. So you can drink in public, sex and night life are all there which is to your liking plus there is also history, culture and scenery.

Can someone explain this ?

• Subscriber
Just now, Devon Von Devon said:

Pakistan visa policy is harsh xD Its other way around no one wants our Visa because it will cause you trouble when you travel to other countries.

That's really not what I meant, although yes, that might be an important factor to some people too.

One has to apply for a tourist visa in advance in an embassy or a consulate abroad and provide a shitload of personal info and supporting documents, including letters of invitation from a host in Pakistan, proof of travel arrangements, etc., unless you're traveling with a group arranged by one of the designated tour operators. It's definitely manageable, but not particularly easy, so it's not surprising that many tourists decide to choose some other country instead where they can just turn up and get a visa on arrival without any hassle...

Perceived safety is another huge thing; the dangers of foreign countries are extremely over-exaggerated in the West, but it influences public opinion. Most people I know reacted with fear and uncertainty when I told them I was moving to Cambodia or going to Vietnam; those are already too exotic and dangerous for them, especially for those who are quite ignorant in general. If they find Cambodia or Vietnam "dangerous", I can't even imagine what they think about Pakistan, Bangladesh, etc.

• Subscriber
6 minutes ago, Devon Von Devon said:

Why do you Europeons ignore Central Asia ?

Due to Soviet Union religion has been wiped out from there. So you can drink in public, sex and night life are all there which is to your liking plus there is also history, culture and scenery.

Can someone explain this ?

Western travellers tend to avoid most countries with the suffix of "-stan" :ph34r:

3 minutes ago, nudge said:

That's really not what I meant, although yes, that might be an important factor to some people too.

One has to apply for a tourist visa in advance in an embassy or a consulate abroad and provide a shitload of personal info and supporting documents, including letters of invitation from a host in Pakistan, proof of travel arrangements, etc., unless you're traveling with a group arranged by one of the designated tour operators. It's definitely manageable, but not particularly easy, so it's not surprising that many tourists decide to choose some other country instead where they can just turn up and get a visa on arrival without any hassle...

Perceived safety is another huge thing; the dangers of foreign countries are extremely over-exaggerated in the West, but it influences public opinion. Most people I know reacted with fear and uncertainty when I told them I was moving to Cambodia or going to Vietnam; those are already too exotic and dangerous for them, especially for those who are quite ignorant in general. If they find Cambodia or Vietnam "dangerous", I can't even imagine what they think about Pakistan, Bangladesh, etc.

Because we have to do that considering our image around the World. Otherwise if something goes wrong it will further fuel that image.

• Subscriber
1 minute ago, Devon Von Devon said:

Because we have to do that considering our image around the World. Otherwise if something goes wrong it will further fuel that image.

I understand the reasoning behind it, but it's inconvenient for many people, especially for those with no Pakistani embassy/consulate in their home country. I read a while ago that Pakistan plans to start issuing e-visas in the near future though, I'm sure that would give a boost to tourism.

2 minutes ago, nudge said:

I understand the reasoning behind it, but it's inconvenient for many people, especially for those with no Pakistani embassy/consulate in their home country. I read a while ago that Pakistan plans to start issuing e-visas in the near future though, I'm sure that would give a boost to tourism.

Pakistan is generally an ignored country.

Proof you will never see Pakistani cities on weather forecast on CNN BBC etc but you have the likes of Adis Abbaba. They even skip Pakistan move to SE Asia on World weather. :coffee:

Archived