• Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Your Trip

football forum

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Recently I have grown a fascination for the middle east. My dream trip at the moment would be going to Dubai and from there Amman. Hopefully visiting Jerusalem during the time as well. I need to stay away from Syria though!

12 hours ago, Blue said:

Recently I have grown a fascination for the middle east. My dream trip at the moment would be going to Dubai and from there Amman. Hopefully visiting Jerusalem during the time as well. I need to stay away from Syria though!

Why the sudden interest?

12 hours ago, Blue said:

The Gulf is Artificial mostly.Oman is really a country that has history.

Go to Lebanon if you can.  Bierut was once called the Paris of Middle East. Despite its small size its so influential in the Arab world culturally.

Jordan as you already mentioned. To be fair Syria and Iraq are really a must visit desyination if you are into history, but that isn't possible.

8 hours ago, Toinho said:

Why the sudden interest?

Saw a few travel vlogs and I didn't realize how beautiful the area actually is. My only concern is the strict laws in some countries, but in terms of historical landmarks, the middle east is full of them unique to the area.

7 hours ago, Devon Von Devon said:

The Gulf is Artificial mostly.Oman is really a country that has history.

Go to Lebanon if you can.  Bierut was once called the Paris of Middle East. Despite its small size its so influential in the Arab world culturally.

Jordan as you already mentioned. To be fair Syria and Iraq are really a must visit desyination if you are into history, but that isn't possible.

I wouldn't mind Dubai to be honest. Sure it's not historical but its my gateway to the area really. I'm more into Oman and Jordan.

Yeah Syria and Iraq are beautiful but I wouldn't touch them for now due to the issues ongoing.

My uncle (on my English side) went to Syria a few weeks before their civil war broke out and they were overrun with ISIS and other dickheads like them. Said Damascus and Aleppo (:() were really great places and it was a great trip and that we all must go for a visit.

So naturally, my dad credits him for the Syrian civil war and the flattening of Aleppo.

1 minute ago, Cannabis said:

I was booked to go on a holiday to Syria but cancelled at the last minute as it was when ISIS were starting to kick off. The tours were still going ahead, although each one had an armed guard in case anything kicked off. Given the severity of the issues over there we went elsewhere. Looking back it would have been nice to say that I've been to Damascus etc. before it was completely flattened but I just didn't think it was worth the risk.

I think Damascus is pretty untouched compared to Aleppo, which had basically half the city destroyed. Maybe one day we'll be able to go there. I also wouldn't take the risk of going into a warzone with people who are famously anti-westerner and do things like behead people or tie explosives around their necks to blow their heads off. Seems like the safest decision.

• Administrator
On 01/08/2018 at 14:37, Stan said:

you'd do very well to do that trip considering your fear of planes!

I'd love to be able to afford an around-the-world trip. Not even money-wise, but time-wise too. Making that sacrifice and commitment to do it.

I'd probably cheat a little and not do it all at once but over a few years and do regions at once. First choice would be South America - explore all the countries in their entirety. Then Australia/NZ and Japan/China as well as Eastern Asia. That'd take a big chunk of time in itself - probably looking at 6-9 months to really get the rewards from all the countries involved (I'd definitely take @nudge - she can be my tour guide ;)).

After that, Eastern Europe - I've done a lot of holidaying in Central/Southern Europe and could easily get there if I fancied it as an extra holiday in future. But Eastern Europe I'd do in one hit - Poland, parts of Russia, Ukraine, Belarus, Croatia etc. 

Then I think the most comfortable one I'd do would be USA/Canada. Probably fly in to California and hire a fucking lovely car to travel on Route 66 and stop on as many places as possible, remote or not, and go all the way to Chicago. I've done Grand Canyon so wouldn't be in a rush to do that again. If time isn't an issue I'd do a lot of intentional veering off the roads to explore nearby states or cities. Would just become one massive road trip which I wouldn't turn my nose up at xD. Would leave Chicago and make my way up to Canada, beginning at Toronto to get some of Niagara Falls in, then proceed west across the country taking in Thunder Bay, Winnipeg, Edmonton, Calgary, Vancouver. I'd be very tempted to go even further north at any point to remote locations bordering on the Arctic Circle. 

Price that up for me mate please @Blue. Cheers.

On 01/08/2018 at 14:39, Blue said:

I'll do it in a bit mate, and yes I do have a fear of flying, but I also want to travel, so its a big conflict for me! haha

On 21/08/2018 at 07:44, Stan said:

Still waiting for this. 

Still waiting...

Image result for still waiting skeleton

Archived