talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Football League 2016/2017 - 31st March - 1st April

44 minutes ago, Toony said:

I don't even know if Newcastle/Brighton will need as many as 4 wins to seal.

The chasing pack is faltering, both have winnable games mid-week and Huddersfield have a banana skin against Norwich, if both win and Huddersfield slip up again it's all over for me.

Theres a stat that every team who has ever got 90 points has won automatic promotion. I think it will be the same again. 3 wins should be enough for us.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, HoneyNUFC said:

There's no urgency or intensity in our game. A few players are extremely negative. The first instinct seems to be to pass backwards. Yet when we up the pace and have a go we look like we can carve through with ease. 

We are going to stagger over the finish line like a drunk walking home.

I think you'll struggle in the Prem as will Brighton as is. Both need investment 

1 minute ago, Fairy In Boots said:

I think you'll struggle in the Prem as will Brighton as is. Both need investment 

Every team in this league is shockingly shite by Premier League standards. It's worse than last time we were down here.

We still have shite like Jack Colback playing week in week out. That surely won't continue next season.

Hopefully decent players will be queuing up to play for Rafa.

Not sure I agree that teams are poorer this time around, I actually think that there are some decent sides. Brighton have kept us on our toes this morning and hopefully them winning today will mean that we don't become complacent mid week as we have many times this season.

3 points before 2 very tough fixtures would be nice, settle the nerves.

To me they all visibly lack pace & power, it's almost like it's being played a gear down from the PL. I don't mean to do this league a disservice but compared to what I've been watching for a decade it's  a step down in terms of quality.

Saying that, I like this league, it's refreshing in terms of its competitiveness and the new faces, I love Saturday 3pm kick offs and the games coming thick & fast it's got a bit of a 90's feel to it and I love that. 

I think there's a couple of teams that stand out from the rest, the league table reflects that.

Leeds are decent and Villa will be good next season, apart from that there's not too much.

Aye there are a few stand out decent sides. My bet for the play offs would be Fulham, although I would like to see Leeds or Sheff Wed come up if we manage to seal the autos. 

Reading are such a non-entity of a club, their stadium is shite, their fans have no character or identity at all. Singing about having the records points total against us...."106 points, you'll never sing that." Bunch of crayon scranning mongs ha ha.

Next year's Championship could potentially have Leeds, Sunderland, Boro, Huddersfield, Sheff Wed and Villa in it. Some very tasty fixtures amongst that. Then you have the potential of Huddersfield, Derby, Fulham, Reading and Norwich that will all be up there too. I will be a keen spectator of the Championship next season and beyond, I just hope we aren't in it for a good decade or so at the least as whilst the kick off times and amount of games Is much better, I want to see us kick on as a club after years of doing fuck all or indeed coming close to doing anything worth talking about, with that fat cunt running the show though it's hard to imagine sadly.

Villa will walk it next season I think, Bruce looks to be getting things right there now, a strong end to the season and a pre season of working on everything should see them right.

We bottled it today in front of 23,300 fans - our 2nd biggest gate since the Premiership days, apparently. Tickets £5 all round - and who says northerners are tight-fisted bastards? :farmer: 

I was one of the Johnny Come Lately fans today, however, I have at least hauled my arse to about 8-9 games home and away this season. Some cunt was actually astounded that the ticket office 'wasn't where it used to be'... it moved 5 years ago ffs. If nothing else, it does show that there's still a lot of potential for this club - we have a fanbase that half the teams in the Championship (and one or two in the Prem, fuck off Bournemouth) can only dream of. Special mention to the 600 Chesterfield supporters today - they are so going down but they were making plenty of noise throughout. Genuinely some of the best support I've seen in years.

Today proved how much we need Gary 'Washing Machine' Madine. He's a fucking carthorse but my God, he is good at holding up long balls hoiked up from Beevers and Wheater due to Parkinson's, umm... 'direct' style. Lumping long balls to tiny Chris Long and Adam Le Fondre is stupid, but there's just no Plan B. Happily for us, Plan A has worked more often than not this year. Due to Fleetwood losing today, we're 7 points clear (8 with +10 goal difference), with only 6 games to go. We're not catching Sheffield United, but we're in a superb position. Just gotta be mindful of Bradford City, who are definitely picking up some form at the tail end of the season.

1 hour ago, Any O'Brien said:

Aye there are a few stand out decent sides. My bet for the play offs would be Fulham, although I would like to see Leeds or Sheff Wed come up if we manage to seal the autos. 

Reading are such a non-entity of a club, their stadium is shite, their fans have no character or identity at all. Singing about having the records points total against us...."106 points, you'll never sing that." Bunch of crayon scranning mongs ha ha.

Next year's Championship could potentially have Leeds, Sunderland, Boro, Huddersfield, Sheff Wed and Villa in it. Some very tasty fixtures amongst that. Then you have the potential of Huddersfield, Derby, Fulham, Reading and Norwich that will all be up there too. I will be a keen spectator of the Championship next season and beyond, I just hope we aren't in it for a good decade or so at the least as whilst the kick off times and amount of games Is much better, I want to see us kick on as a club after years of doing fuck all or indeed coming close to doing anything worth talking about, with that fat cunt running the show though it's hard to imagine sadly.

Villa will walk it next season I think, Bruce looks to be getting things right there now, a strong end to the season and a pre season of working on everything should see them right.

I was about to give you abuse for talking about Dwight Gayle's goalscoring statistics like some statto Sky Sports bellend, but that made me crease. xD

10 minutes ago, StefBWFC said:

We bottled it today in front of 23,300 fans - our 2nd biggest gate since the Premiership days, apparently. Tickets £5 all round - and who says northerners are tight-fisted bastards? :farmer: 

I was one of the Johnny Come Lately fans today, however, I have at least hauled my arse to about 8-9 games home and away this season. Some cunt was actually astounded that the ticket office 'wasn't where it used to be'... it moved 5 years ago ffs. If nothing else, it does show that there's still a lot of potential for this club - we have a fanbase that half the teams in the Championship (and one or two in the Prem, fuck off Bournemouth) can only dream of. Special mention to the 600 Chesterfield supporters today - they are so going down but they were making plenty of noise throughout. Genuinely some of the best support I've seen in years.

Today proved how much we need Gary 'Washing Machine' Madine. He's a fucking carthorse but my God, he is good at holding up long balls hoiked up from Beevers and Wheater due to Parkinson's, umm... 'direct' style. Lumping long balls to tiny Chris Long and Adam Le Fondre is stupid, but there's just no Plan B. Happily for us, Plan A has worked more often than not this year. Due to Fleetwood losing today, we're 7 points clear (8 with +10 goal difference), with only 6 games to go. We're not catching Sheffield United, but we're in a superb position. Just gotta be mindful of Bradford City, who are definitely picking up some form at the tail end of the season.

I was about to give you abuse for talking about Dwight Gayle's goalscoring statistics like some statto Sky Sports bellend, but that made me crease. xD

I seen it on Twitter - I promise I'm not one of them weirdos who rips their skeleton out over statistics using them to suit their agenda.

Dwight Gayle is some boy though.

We were in the game till Tom Parkes got sent-off and we were arguably the better side until that point. Two defensive lapses later and the game was over as a contest. 

The big talking points of yesterday was the impromptu protest against owner Francesco Becchetti, which included a group storming the boardroom and hanging a banner over the balcony facing the pitch that read "Bollocks", Becchetti Out chants and Wycombe fans joining in with our chants and starting their own. 

Our final two games of the season will no doubt see bigger protests, which shall be good. 

• Administrator
18 hours ago, Any O'Brien said:

We were poor but comfortable. If we win 4 of our remaining games in the same way then that should be enough to promote us.

Not arsed one bit about the league either as nice as it would be. Nice to see Dwight Gayle scoring again, he averages a goal every 92 minutes so would be nice if he can win the golden boot or whatever the Championship equivalent is. I have no fear about him making the step up, he would score goals in any league given the service which is what my worry is.

Surprised Palace got rid of him to be honest. 

6 minutes ago, StefBWFC said:

Coventry City.

Get the fuck in, unbelievable scenes so far, delighted with this.

Tinpot trophy or not, I can't think of a group of fans more deserving of silverware after the years and years of misery they've had to endure under SISU.

Completely agree.

They've had a bit of an upturn of form in the league too, but looks unlikely it'll be enough to keep them up. 

Michael Appleton is a knob too.

• Administrator

i find it difficulty to have sympathy with fans of the club to be honest for the amount of shit they gave us when we went down to League One. While I appreciate it's been difficult for them with SISU in charge, they get little sympathy from me for their attitude. 

25 minutes ago, Romesh said:

i find it difficulty to have sympathy with fans of the club to be honest for the amount of shit they gave us when we went down to League One. While I appreciate it's been difficult for them with SISU in charge, they get little sympathy from me for their attitude. 

They know what they are. They know what they aaaaarrree. Champions of the Checkatrade Trophy, they know what they are... :450_trophy:

:whistling:

• The title was changed to Football League 2016/2017 - 31st March - 1st April
  • The topic was unpinned
  • Administrator

Leeds' Liam Cooper banned for six games.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/39502877

Leeds United defender Liam Cooper has been banned for six games for violent conduct.

Cooper, 25, admitted a Football Association charge for landing with his studs on Reading defender Reece Oxford in Saturday's defeat at the Madejski.

The ban was increased from three games to five after the FA claimed the standard punishment would be "clearly insufficient".

A further match was added for it being his second dismissal of the season.

The former Chesterfield man served the first game of the suspension in Tuesday's loss at Brentford, so will be able to return to action in Leeds' final league game of the season at Wigan on 7 May.

Archived