talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

One Week Left How Is Your Transfer Window Going?

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good.

We needed a defensive midfielder, we signed an expensive highly rated one.

We needed a keeper, we signed an expensive highly rated one.

We signed Keita last season but he couldn’t join until this season. Klopp really wanted him and his highlight reel looks good (although... it should, because it’s a highlight reel).

We needed depth out wide, we got Shaqiri at bargain value.

We sold our third choice keeper for a decent amount of money too.

• Administrator

Improved on the right-back position with Ricardo Pereira to play ahead of Danny Simpson.

Improved the back-up goalkeeper situation getting Ward in to replace Ben Hamer. Ward is better than Jakupovic. Also, when Schmeichel inetvitably leaves in the next 12-24 months, I reckon Ward is good enough to become number one.

Got a creative player in James Maddison who seems to have hit the ground running in pre-season and seems properly ready to start the season. He's impressed the most in pre-season out of all our players. Bound to play a big part in our season. Not quite the Mahrez replacement as that would take something special but Maddison seems to be the most creative in the squad now. Sadly I still think we need more players like him to create. If he has a poor game, we're clutching at straws on who can produce anything - Gray, Diabate, Albrighton - not much there and asking a lot of the 2 youngsters there. 

Signed Jonny Evans for a bargain at £3m. Lots of experience and should hopefully make our defence a bit more solid as Wes Morgan doesn't have long left I think. Sadly Evans is injured for a couple of weeks so won't get to see him so soon but if he and Maguire 'click' together, we should keep out a lot of goals.

Sold Mahrez for £60-70m. Inevitable, really. He'll be quality at Man City if he gets enough game-time. The way they play is perfect for his free-flowing, skilful & attacking style. 

Harvey Barnes has gone out on loan to West Brom - whilst I'd have liked to see him play for us as it could be the right time to do so, I don't begrudge the choice of getting some competitive matches with a side like West Brom who you'd expect to be challenging for immediate promotion. He's been at MK Dons & Barnsley so it's another step up for him in standard.

I'd have liked us to sign more creative players in addition to Maddison. Been linked with several over the summer but I feel we're lacking in that department as stated before. Maybe there's still time to push deals through but we're at the risk of leaving it too late and therefore paying too much.

I'd also liked us to have got rid of some of the deadwood - Musa, James, Mendy, Benalouane. And at a push Slimani too. Purely to recoup some money on Musa & Slimani and for the rest, they're just not gonna play regularly - maybe only a handful of times in the cup games.

Overall, it's about a 7/10. We've got a good squad to challenge for Europe, especially with some promising youngsters effectively being like free transfers if they continue to play (Chilwell & Choudhury). A good spine of the team in Schmeichel/Maguire/Ndidi/Vardy. Much room for improvement though - if key players get injured we'll be struggling.

Not far behind Harvs... 

Apart from signing Jorghino which was a bit of a surprise not one single player linked to us over the summer has come through so far... 

If you add to that the speculation surrounding Hazard/Willian/Court and to some degree Kante it's been a typical cluster fuck affair that we are getting used to now.. We don't have much time left to get our preferred players in and would not be surprised to see us scrambling around the January Jumble sales looking to bolster here and there... 

Should everyone return as intended and by all accounts it would seem that way despite the rumours then the side is a pretty good one and under Sarri we may get to see something different over the course of the season.. Not improving the squad however will still leave us adrift of City and don't really expect us to finish much more than 4th or 5th... 

Before this week I would have said poor but there's enough of a team for a manager like Hodgson to work with to avoid relegation.

That would have been frustrating, as had he of been given the seventy plus million Allardyce was given in 30 days to mould a team, this could have been something really special.

Max Meyer however is a game changer and Kouyate is pleasing. Ayew wouldn't be doom and gloom either.

I'd grade it as good if Meyer gets intentional clearance. I'd rather home grown players like Williams and Kaikai be backup players over the likes of Chung-Yong Lee if we can't bolster this squad anyway.

• Subscriber

6.5/10

We started the window a long way from having a squad we can be happy with but we've made enough progress to be encouraged that Brands and Silva are moving in the right direction.

Positives:

- Williams fucked off and kept away from the first team for the next 12 months.

- Mirallas told to fuck off.

- Martina told he's not part of the first team squad.

- Klaassen and Funes Mori off the wage bill having made little contribution to our cause.

- Finally a second left back signed and hopefully one that can take over from Baines in the near future.

- Richarlison added to the squad who looks like he'll be a good addition to the attack.

- No serious noises about Pickford leaving.

Negatives:

- Schneiderlin not told to pack his bags with Mirallas. General lack of quality competition in midfield with NDiaye not exactly an inspiring link.

- Lookman appears to be going for probably around £20m which is a profit on what we got him for but probably a negligible one given the market inflation and most of our fans think he's worth more than that.

- Central defence is a concern. We must have at least one up our sleeve with Williams leaving but I'm unsure about Mina and uninspired by Rojo, especially at a reported fee of £30m-33m. Lascelles would still be my choice here out of the other names mentioned.

I think at Arsenal we've done pretty well in this transfer window to be fair. We have to take into consideration all the damage done in the last couple of years with the toxic atmosphere and the fact we've fallen from grace in the table... All that and more which hasn't made Arsenal FC the most appealing of places to come if you're a good footballer.  Our signings have been pretty good and it makes you wonder where the problems were before hand where it looked really difficult for us to sign anyone.

But for me personally I would've loved a replacement for Santi Cazorla... I think we need a player like him with what we've got now.  A real performer with class in all aspects.

Generally good so far, especially as we're being more shrewd this time around, only spending big on players that have the potential to play in the prem.

That said, I'm concerned about the lack of centre midfield options (especially as we're weaker now with Grujic and Bryson going back to there parent clubs) and lacking a quality striker. Right back is also a bit concerning as Peltier is decent but not a prem player, Jazz is injury prone and Paterson, while mainly a right back, has been playing behind the striker.

NOT BAD but not overly good either. The squad is the same but for an elite signing in Jorginho. It leaves a lot to be desired but also a huge satisfaction picking up a truly elite midfielder. On one hand its just isn't enough but on the other hand not everry window does a club capture a player like Jorginho. I'd feel a lot more comfortable if I knew academy players were garuanteed playing time this season. 

Archived