• Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Danny Ings Moves to Southampton

• The title was changed to Danny Ings - Could Move to Southampton
  • Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber

I mean maybe he'll discover his old form but more likely he'll join the swollen ranks of Southampton attacking players that never score.

Good deal for Liverpool again. They've only paid that much because it's from Liverpool, if Ings had been the exact same player playing for West Ham he'd never be going for 20 mill.

Klopp's tribute to Ings: 'We will miss him'

Jürgen Klopp has paid a heartfelt tribute to Danny Ings after it was confirmed the striker will leave Liverpool to join Southampton.

The striker will initially move to St Mary’s on a season-long loan before the transfer is made permanent on July 1, 2019.
It brings a three-year spell at Anfield to an end following a switch from Burnley, during which time Ings was forced to battle back to fitness from two serious knee injuries which restricted him to just 25 appearances and four goals.

Klopp admits it is with a heavy heart he granted the popular 26-year-old the opportunity to leave the Reds, telling Liverpoolfc.com: “It is a very strange feeling saying goodbye to Danny. The biggest emotion is how much we will miss him.

“He is such an outstanding boy. Honestly, if you could bottle character and spirit, his would sell worldwide - he is so incredibly positive and full of energy. But we won’t just miss his character because he is a footballer who has all the tools.
“What is clear is that in his time here he had zero luck really, certainly in my time. Before joining I tried to watch as many games on tape as I could from the season so far and Danny Ings stood out as someone I was really looking forward to coaching.
“We all know his story and the bad luck he has had since then.

“It’s why the other emotion is that of being pleased for Danny that he has such a good move and his future is now very bright.
“When he said to us he thinks this is the window it might be best to look elsewhere, for the sake of his career and playing more regular football, it was clear early on that Southampton has great appeal to him personally. It’s his home, his family is there, it’s his boyhood club. They have a great manager and I think the supporters and him will feed off each other’s passion and energy.
“So we say farewell to a friend, but for Danny I know the best chapters in his personal story are still to be written. He is as fit now as at any point of his career I would bet and he just requires the opportunity.

“He has that opportunity and on behalf of his Liverpool family we say good luck Danny and we will miss you.”

https://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/first-team/311250-jurgen-klopp-danny-ings-liverpool

You just can't not love Klopp. Absolutely fantastic bloke. 

• Subscriber
19 minutes ago, LFCMadLad said:

Klopp's tribute to Ings: 'We will miss him'

Jürgen Klopp has paid a heartfelt tribute to Danny Ings after it was confirmed the striker will leave Liverpool to join Southampton.

The striker will initially move to St Mary’s on a season-long loan before the transfer is made permanent on July 1, 2019.
It brings a three-year spell at Anfield to an end following a switch from Burnley, during which time Ings was forced to battle back to fitness from two serious knee injuries which restricted him to just 25 appearances and four goals.

Klopp admits it is with a heavy heart he granted the popular 26-year-old the opportunity to leave the Reds, telling Liverpoolfc.com: “It is a very strange feeling saying goodbye to Danny. The biggest emotion is how much we will miss him.

“He is such an outstanding boy. Honestly, if you could bottle character and spirit, his would sell worldwide - he is so incredibly positive and full of energy. But we won’t just miss his character because he is a footballer who has all the tools.
“What is clear is that in his time here he had zero luck really, certainly in my time. Before joining I tried to watch as many games on tape as I could from the season so far and Danny Ings stood out as someone I was really looking forward to coaching.
“We all know his story and the bad luck he has had since then.

“It’s why the other emotion is that of being pleased for Danny that he has such a good move and his future is now very bright.
“When he said to us he thinks this is the window it might be best to look elsewhere, for the sake of his career and playing more regular football, it was clear early on that Southampton has great appeal to him personally. It’s his home, his family is there, it’s his boyhood club. They have a great manager and I think the supporters and him will feed off each other’s passion and energy.
“So we say farewell to a friend, but for Danny I know the best chapters in his personal story are still to be written. He is as fit now as at any point of his career I would bet and he just requires the opportunity.

“He has that opportunity and on behalf of his Liverpool family we say good luck Danny and we will miss you.”

https://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/first-team/311250-jurgen-klopp-danny-ings-liverpool

You just can't not love Klopp. Absolutely fantastic bloke. 

I think Klopp is an absolute tosser personally but each to their own. 

• Subscriber

He certainly has the best PR team/media training of any manager ever probably. This could all be massive lies but nobody would care, because fans of Liverpool will lap it up. Would be the same with any fanbase if their managers came out with the same things. Can't believe more managers aren't getting onto it because easy PR like this goes such a long way to getting the fans on side.

• Subscriber
8 minutes ago, Rick said:

I mean, it's possible that he's just a nice bloke wishing another nice bloke the best for his career...

He probably has his phone number then, or WhatsApp, or any other private means of communication he could use that doesn't involve scoring brownie points by making it a public statement.

I'm sure it is genuine but let's not be naive here.

Same thing is starting to happen at every club. Without fail every player we've signed this window has said in their interview that Marco Silva persuaded them to come and sold the project to them. Like this with Klopp, that's probably genuinely true too (to an extent) but you'd be naive not to think that the club haven't made sure that this is one of the main headlines from every players first interview so that the fans think Silva is making this big impact already and responsible for pulling off signings that we wouldn't have made without his influence.

We are moving into a world where PR has never been more important for managers and football clubs. @Storts made a poignant post earlier comparing Poch's reaction to the transfer window not going their way to Mourinho's and acknowledged it's mostly spin but that it goes a long way. That's the world we live in now. It isn't a criticism of Klopp (not mine at least) merely an observation.

I don't remember Klopp being too bothered about PR when banishing Sakho to oblivion, ruthlessly kicking him out of the club, nor do think Klopp was bothered about his own image whilst basically telling Benteke to do one. 

Maybe, just maybe Klopp genuinely  likes Ings and (when asked) said how he actually felt about the bloke?

6 hours ago, RandoEFC said:

He certainly has the best PR team/media training of any manager ever probably. This could all be massive lies but nobody would care, because fans of Liverpool will lap it up.

Not true mate. Klopp can say what he likes but ultimately what makes it hit home is not that it's nice but because it rings true, and echoes my own thoughts...

In the half year of BR Danny was close to the most effective and committed player. He did have bad luck. It is great that he'll now have a chance to get more game time. 

24 minutes ago, Cannabis said:

FFP.

I don't understand how. If you pay in installments and nothing for the first year it won't appear as a loss in your accounts so you won't fall foul of the £105m max losses over 3 years. Also Southampton have sold so many players are they must have been in big profit in recent years and nowhere near a £105m loss.

I think it can only be a loan so that clauses are inserted that prevent it becoming permanent. I remember when we signed Doumbia on loan and had to pay for him if he played over X games, he was so shit that 6 games in he was dropped from first team and bench for the rest of the season xD

It won't be guaranteed to be permanent. I highly doubt Southampton have to buy him at the end of the loan. It's just an 'option to buy'. The whole point of the loan will be because of his knee problems,

4 hours ago, Marc said:

It won't be guaranteed to be permanent. I highly doubt Southampton have to buy him at the end of the loan. It's just an 'option to buy'. The whole point of the loan will be because of his knee problems,

Everyone is reporting it as a loan with an "obligation to buy", or a loan that will become permanent. It's not as if "loan with an option to buy" isn't in their vocabulary, so I don't see why they'd report it as they have it wasn't certain that it'd become permanent.

My guess is that, given how late in the day this was done, it had to be done as a loan to get it over the line in time, as there's not as much in the way of personal terms to be negotiated.

Hope it works out for him, with sturridge & Origi back and likely to play a part this season there was no chance of him getting game time which is a shame because he was a very good finisher for Burnley, the last 2 years have been a nightmare for him but I hear nothing but good things about his attitude and dedication so I just hope he can stay fit.

3 hours ago, UNORTHODOX said:

Hope it works out for him, with sturridge & Origi back and likely to play a part this season there was no chance of him getting game time which is a shame because he was a very good finisher for Burnley, the last 2 years have been a nightmare for him but I hear nothing but good things about his attitude and dedication so I just hope he can stay fit.

I think we are probably going to sell/loan Origi. 

@topic

If Ings can stay fit, then Southampton have got a really good player. I don't know what system Southampton use, but he can play wide forward, as well. 

Archived