talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Tragic Movie & TV Series Characters

football forum

What are some of the most, or your favourite, tragic characters from a Movie or a TV Series. Like someone you feel sorry for, or can feel for. 

I'll start with Detective Bruce Robertson, in Filth. 

Great video too :14_relaxed:

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ned Stark from Game of Thrones 

John Coffey from The Greet Mile

Boromir from Lord of the Rings 

Leonard from Memento 

Carl's wife from Up

Jack and Ma from Room 

Teddy Daniels from Shutter Island 

That kid from Prison Break that was shot by that agent. 

@Tommy Great thread 

• Subscriber

The Night Of was fantastic, just watching that title bit gets me excited again :D

You guys have alot of good stuff covered Ill add two and major spoilers on both; The Sopranos and Penny Dreadful

Sopranos ending in my mind/unquestionably with Tonys death (James Gandolfini)

And Eva Green in Penny Dreadful as Vanessa Ives.

Another one I find worthy to mention is Jimmy Darmody from Boardwalk Empire. 

Smart kid, ruined by World War I. 

Also the first TV show I stopped watching after a character's death :ph34r:

• Subscriber
19 hours ago, Tommy said:

Another one I find worthy to mention is Jimmy Darmody from Boardwalk Empire. 

Smart kid, ruined by World War I. 

Also the first TV show I stopped watching after a character's death :ph34r:

That second season is still one of the best from anything I've watched. I kept watching on and off I think until the last season where I finally gave up. I remember reading the actor playing Jimmy (I forget his name) was hard to work with and that's why they killed him off... Something to that effect.

14 hours ago, Harry said:

I was thinking bubbles

That's a good shout.

3 hours ago, Viva la FCB said:

(I forget his name)

Michael Pitt. And yea, I've heard that he is hard to work with as well, which is a shame, because I think he's a terrific actor. If you want to see a good film of him, I'd recommend "I, Origins". 

• Subscriber
2 hours ago, Tommy said:

Michael Pitt. And yea, I've heard that he is hard to work with as well, which is a shame, because I think he's a terrific actor. If you want to see a good film of him, I'd recommend "I, Origins". 

I'll add it to my list! I've always been a fan since I saw him in Boardwalk, he was really good in Hannibal as well. It really is a shame I think alot of that has limited him to bit part roles.

• 2 years later...

Thought of this thread again, and after watching a bit more stuff, I got to say one of the most tragic characters I've ever seen is Jonas from Dark. Quite a lot of tragic characters in that series though.

• Subscriber
On 25/01/2021 at 14:35, Tommy said:

Thought of this thread again, and after watching a bit more stuff, I got to say one of the most tragic characters I've ever seen is Jonas from Dark. Quite a lot of tragic characters in that series though.

To be honest, you could pick any character from Dark, and it would be a more tragic one than most other fictional ones. I love that series, but damn is it depressing xD 

Yeah, good thread topic this. Here is my Top Five...

Brooks in The Shawshank Redemption

You get so attached to Brooks and his relationship with his bird Jake, that ultimately, you feel sad for him actually being forced to leave a place he grew to love for so many years.

That montage of him, showing a brief glimpse of his life post prison, alone and how he struggled to adjust outside was so sad, right up to his impending suicide and final message of 'Brooks was Here'.

That haunting soundtrack is perfect over this montage and it's enough to pull at anyone's heartstrings.

Billy Costagan in The Departed

What get's me most about this is how shocking the outcome of his character is delivered. It's absolutely brutal and you just don't see it coming.

You follow him through the whole film and personally, I was really invested in him, found him a likeable character. Even when it looks bleak and he's on his own with no support, you are left thinking he'll make it out the situation he is in.

And in the midst of it all, just when you think things have turned in his favour, out of nowhere, bang...it hits you and you are left literally shocked. Like 'Fuuucccckkkk'...

It's not even like you have time to absorb it till the very end of the film.

Bruno in The Boy with the Striped Pyjamas

What's interesting about this character, or how I found, was that initially he's not necessarily likeable but a lot of that is down to the innocence of youth. I'm thinking of when he lied to his father to save his own skin and it ended up in his friend Shmuel getting a pasting as well as Pavel, the Jewish prisoner turned servant to the family, and his demise.

But you see the transition in him, he realises right from wrong and just want's to be friends with Shmuel and their friendship is a lovely story to watch unfold.

The ending just get's you because you expect to see them both saved in a nick of time and it doesn't happen. And you feel for Bruno because you've seen his transition. The fact he is so young and the innocent victim of his Dad's work is totally gut wrenching.

Again, brilliant use of soundtrack to really hit you in the feels.

Michael Sullivan in Road to Perdition

Tom Hanks plays this role brilliantly, hitman with ice cold blood running through his vains, and yet he is a family man.

He is reluctant to show his soft side despite his son being infactuated with him and longing for his love to be reciprocated. Even after the initial sad events, he shows no sign of weakness infront of his son.

As the film unfolds we see Hanks' ice like personna melt as he develops a bond with his son to seek revenge and a resolution to their problems and just when you think they have a shot at happiness, it's cruelly taken away. The silence of the scene itself and the way in which it was shot, creates even more of a dramatic impact.

Mufasa in Lion King 

I mean, this is about as tragic as it get's as a child watching a film and learning about death, let alone as a full blown adult, especially in the tragic circumstances that unfold.

Even now, as a bloke in his mid thirties and it still get's me.

I'd go as far as to say, if Mufasa's death doesn't impact you in the slightest, are you even human?

Archived