talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Ben Gibson Completes Transfer from Middlesbrough to Burnley

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber

Didn't they want 25-30 million last summer? Shows how much his stock has fallen just by playing a year in the Championship. Him, Mawson, Maguire and Keane were all grouped together last year, but look who's come out of the pack to establish themselves in the Premier League and as an international. Gibson needs a move to the Premier League - I just worry about where he'd get in the team initially at Burnley because Men and Tarkowski have a great partnership. 

• Administrator
9 minutes ago, Storts said:

Didn't they want 25-30 million last summer? Shows how much his stock has fallen just by playing a year in the Championship. Him, Mawson, Maguire and Keane were all grouped together last year, but look who's come out of the pack to establish themselves in the Premier League and as an international. Gibson needs a move to the Premier League - I just worry about where he'd get in the team initially at Burnley because Men and Tarkowski have a great partnership. 

yeah Boro priced him at around that mark when we were interested. not saying he should have come to us but perhaps last year he could have made the move to the Premier League and Boro would have had double what he's now priced at.

Had the same thinking as well regarding Mee/Tarkowski - they've got a solid partnership which was fairly successful last season.

• Subscriber

I'd have him for that money even if he's just another Michael Keane to add depth to the squad. Don't know why we aren't onto this like we weren't onto Mawson unless we have two absolute belters lined up at centre half.

• Subscriber
1 hour ago, Stan said:

yeah Boro priced him at around that mark when we were interested. not saying he should have come to us but perhaps last year he could have made the move to the Premier League and Boro would have had double what he's now priced at.

Had the same thinking as well regarding Mee/Tarkowski - they've got a solid partnership which was fairly successful last season.

I don't blame them to an extent, he was one of their prized asset at that time - obviously massive links to the club and the ownership and so they couldn't be seen as selling off cheap, particularly in the current market, after a good season in the Premier League - but when they didn't get promoted last year it's hurt his value. If I was Boro I would hold on to him for another year and try and get promoted. If they fail then it's time to see but I don't know why they'd move him on for 12 mill now. Of course for the benefit of the player he should definitely go.

I know Burnley's backup's a terrible - and they do need to improve on Long, but not sure Gibson should go there to be first reserve 

Ben Gibson's move to Burnley will be completed this weekend, Middlesbroughmanager Tony Pulis has confirmed.

He told a post-match press conference: “He's going, it's agreed, it's done and we want to thank Ben, an absolutely fantastic professional.

“In the six months I've had at this football club he's as good a professional as I've ever worked with and I spoke to Sean Dyche and Dychey's got a real, top, top player.

“I think it'll go through over the weekend, I think it's all done, I think everybody has agreed it and it's just a case of him doing his medical and then that will be it.”

• The title was changed to Ben Gibson Completes Transfer from Middlesbrough to Burnley
1 hour ago, 6666 said:

Good signing but not really an area they needed to strengthen.

I think they just need more bodies with the additional competition to focus on. Players like Clucas, Gibson, Rodriguez etc could impact the starting eleven, fit in the team ethos and bolster the squad size. It's a signing that makes sense.

I'd be a little disappointed if I was a 'Boro fan. This year with Pulis they must have felt they could really do something. So to lose Gibson, Bamford and possibly Traore whilst Gibson's value has halved in a year must feel like a hard hit to the abdomen.

• 1 year later...

Archived