talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Friday 10th August - Man Utd 2-1 Leicester

football forum

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Professional job from Manchester United. All the individual time that Mourinho has invested in Luke Shaw may be about to pay off. I thought Leicester gave Pogba far too much space, and both Amartey and Iheanacho were poor, but there was enough to suggest they'll improve as the season goes on.

Not convinced by United despite the result. Thought Fred looked average but still early days. Any side with a decent attack would've punished them today. 

Bizarre tactics from United given the quality on the pitch. But that's Mourinho for you. The players will get sick of it soon enough. 

Performance aside United get the 3 points.... Leicester lost their way a bit in the second half after finishing the stronger just before the break and it cost them at least a draw.. first game of the season is always a bit ropey, takes a while to get into any sort of form.. 

• Administrator

Meh. Was travelling to Edinburgh so only caught bits and pieces of the match. Heard some encouraging things mainly about Maddison but couldn't capitalise on possession we had and a couple of chances. 

Didn't expect to win so not too disheartened. 

• Subscriber

Saw the first half. Reminded me of getting really excited for a World Cup only to end up watching Iran vs Morocco as an opening game. United are crap to watch and falling well short of the sum of their parts. A team with Sanchez, Pogba, usually Lukaku, Mata etc. should be a pleasure to watch but they're not.

Some individual player thoughts:

- Mourinho gets a lot of shit for not trusting young players but for me Rashford is vastly overrated. United fans will know better than me and maybe he hasn't had enough chances but he looked shite for England whenever he played in Russia and aside from his brace against Liverpool last season I can't remember what else he did. He would be nowhere near a top six side if he hadn't come through one of their academies.

- Maddison looked good for Leicester even if he did do that big dive to buy a free kick off Pogba (or someone).

- Sanchez continues to look pointless in a United shirt.

- Pogba also gets a lot of stick but United could be relying on him a lot this season. I expect his general play to be poor but for him to produce the goods at key moments, but the matches where those key moments don't fall he'll get massive stick for doing nothing.

- Chilwell looked really exciting at times but needs to work on his end product.

- If Bailly gets a run in the side and stays fit I think he can be a really good Premier League centre half.

I saw the opening stages of the game without commentary, but it seemed to me that Amartey was playing right back, I've heard that Ricardo Pereira has been playing right midfield in pre-season, where was he playing today? From the bits I saw today I still think Puel is a really good bet to be the first winner of the Sack Race.

• Subscriber

I don't think that game could've gone any more how I expected it to.

I can't be arsed going into big detail on the game but there are three things I take from tonight. One is that we knock the ball around very nicely at times, given our reputation as a pure counter attacking side, we play a far better keep-ball game now even if we haven't necessarily mastered it. I think this will be our plan going forward.

The other two things are both negative. We're still conceding absolutely stupid goals. Both tonight were just bullshit. That first is absolutely criminal from Amartey, utterly brain-dead. It really was last year all over again, going behind almost immediately in the opening game on TV. The second... we looked all over the place to me. It didn't look a good goal, just more beneficiary of poor defending from us.

The other was that for all of our possession, we created very little really. Vardy should've scored that chance late on (and did score an even easier one after) but before then there wasn't enough created. The problem is we skewed the whole game by going behind effectively from kick off.

I saw enough to say we're not all bad, but haven't seen enough to say that we've totally eradicated our faults from last year, and I do worry teams are going to be able to get a point off us without much trouble.

• Subscriber

Oh and I've got to be honest, I wasn't impressed with Manchester United at all really. I couldn't believe the ease we passed it around them at times. Not a sense of bitterness from me but I did feel they were a bit there for the taking tonight but, as usual with us these days, silly errors have cost us getting anything.

We've lost that killer instinct.

I was in the exec suite at OT for the first time last night, courtesy of work. Dripping with fat, arrogant dullards - never again. 

United were shocking. Really, really poor. The ease that Leicester had strolling down the left with Chilwell, Gray and Maddison was almost embarrassing - shame for LCFC really; as has been said, they had very little killer instinct. 

Sanchez was a joke, he really hasn't picked up after last season. Pogba was a class above at times though, he was all over the pitch breaking it up and pinging lovely balls around. Fred did nothing.

• Subscriber

It does feel very much like the first day last year. I feel that was as good a chance as we'll get to win at Old Trafford but we still lost. Likewise with Arsenal last year.

There are positives for us but I do think we're going to be decent to watch, but ultimately not a particularly effective side.

29 minutes ago, Dan said:

It does feel very much like the first day last year. I feel that was as good a chance as we'll get to win at Old Trafford but we still lost. Likewise with Arsenal last year.

There are positives for us but I do think we're going to be decent to watch, but ultimately not a particularly effective side.

Outside of key moments, I thought you played quite well and were a bit unlucky. You missed out on a good chance to win, as you said, but if Vardy had had the chances Iheanacho had instead, he'd have put at least one away, so there are reasons to be optimistic I think.

• Subscriber
9 hours ago, Burning Gold said:

Outside of key moments, I thought you played quite well and were a bit unlucky. You missed out on a good chance to win, as you said, but if Vardy had had the chances Iheanacho had instead, he'd have put at least one away, so there are reasons to be optimistic I think.

Yeah I agree, there's enough to be positive about, I just worry that the issues aren't new issues. Time will tell.

• The title was changed to Friday 10th August - Man Utd 2-1 Leicester
  • The topic was unpinned

Archived