• Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Saturday 11th August - Sunday 12th August - Other Matches

football forum

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, LFCMike said:

Kepa just tipped one over the bar and the ref has given a goal kick to ChelseaxD it seemed pretty clear to me that he'd saved it

It will be good for us to have a lucky keeper.... we need to be moving up the luckiest team in the league table.. that will obviously go some way to helping. 

3 goals and 3 points and a clean sheet, got to be happy with that

1 minute ago, carefreeluke said:

Huddersfield are dross, like another pre-season game.

Nice to see three attacking players come on. Conte would have brought on a defensive midfielder and wing back.

No wonder Alonso looked good tbf 

Good decision making by Hazard as well to pick out Pedro over Morata for our third... 

As Luke said it was Huddersfield and they were a bit dire today, only one shot on goal I believe but we have dropped the ball and the points against similar sides last season so grab them points and the positives while we can... 

3 hours ago, Bluebird Hewitt said:

2-0 loss. Started to get into the game and Morrison apparently missed a sitter, something that we can't afford to do at this level. LosingZohore to a knock didn't help either.

Two big games against Newcastle and Huddersfield next.

Think Warnock will go by Christmas? 

You’re just there for the parachute payment really this year solidify the club and build for a few years. 28 points will be an achievement I reckon 

Home after a thoroughly pleasing victory today. A lot of positives from the Crystal Palace camp. We played the same eleven that finished last season and it showed. There was a lot good movement and link up play with everybody having a great understanding of where others would be.

The notable mentions are all the wide players. Aaron Wan Bissaka and Patrick Van Aanholt were brilliant. Positional play, determination, pace, physicality, decision making, everything was on point from the full backs.

Further up the pitch Jeffrey Schlupp seems to have found a unique role in the team which caused Fulham problems as he is very good at breaking away, some of Andros Townsend's crosses were on another level and Wilfried Zaha got a goal that his whole game play deserved.

As for Fulham, you could tell this was a brand new team. The defence looked like they had just met each other five minutes before kick off as nobody really knew when to step up, would line to play, wjo to listen too etc. There most impressive players were Cairney and Christie who were both there last season. Seri looks like he will morph in to a good dictator of play. I can see them being a 'second half of the season' team because they'll need time to get used to each other and figure out a best system. Hopefully they'll be patient with the manager until then.

As for the day out. I think people will get bored of Fulham fans very quickly. I shit you not, they did not sing ONE song all game. They had clappers too. Utterly pathetic when you consider the occasion.

• Subscriber
6 minutes ago, The Palace Fan said:

Home after a thoroughly pleasing victory today. A lot of positives from the Crystal Palace camp. We played the same eleven that finished last season and it showed. There was a lot good movement and link up play with everybody having a great understanding of where others would be.

The notable mentions are all the wide players. Aaron Wan Bissaka and Patrick Van Aanholt were brilliant. Positional play, determination, pace, physicality, decision making, everything was on point from the full backs.

Further up the pitch Jeffrey Schlupp seems to have found a unique role in the team which caused Fulham problems as he is very good at breaking away, some of Andros Townsend's crosses were on another level and Wilfried Zaha got a goal that his whole game play deserved.

As for Fulham, you could tell this was a brand new team. The defence looked like they had just met each other five minutes before kick off as nobody really knew when to step up, would line to play, wjo to listen too etc. There most impressive players were Cairney and Christie who were both there last season. Seri looks like he will morph in to a good dictator of play. I can see them being a 'second half of the season' team because they'll need time to get used to each other and figure out a best system. Hopefully they'll be patient with the manager until then.

As for the day out. I think people will get bored of Fulham fans very quickly. I shit you not, they did not sing ONE song all game. They had clappers too. Utterly pathetic when you consider the occasion.

I watched quite a big chunk of your game today. Didn't think anything of it at the time but compared to the atmosphere created by the Wolves fans this evening the Fulham crowd allowed your game to look like an average mid season 3pm kick off. Usually a newly promoted side at home on the first day create some real scenes.

Thought you lot looked very decent today and without wanting to make sweeping judgements on the first day a much better bet for a solid top half finish than either Wolves or Fulham like some have touted.

30 minutes ago, Fairy In Boots said:

Think Warnock will go by Christmas? 

You’re just there for the parachute payment really this year solidify the club and build for a few years. 28 points will be an achievement I reckon 

Possible, though I can't see anyone else available that'd be better realistically.

As for the parachute payments, it was an achievement just the get to the prem. Even if we spent stupid amounts like Fulham and Wolves, there's no guarantee that we'd stay up and we'd be back to getting shot of deadwood again on high wages.

• Subscriber
23 minutes ago, Bluebird Hewitt said:

Possible, though I can't see anyone else available that'd be better realistically.

As for the parachute payments, it was an achievement just the get to the prem. Even if we spent stupid amounts like Fulham and Wolves, there's no guarantee that we'd stay up and we'd be back to getting shot of deadwood again on high wages.

Would you take an Allardyce/Pardew appointment mid season if you knew they'd get you 17th or above?

30 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

Would you take an Allardyce/Pardew appointment mid season if you knew they'd get you 17th or above?

Allardyce yes (regardless of opinions, he does know how to survive in the prem), Pardew no (only need to look at Palace and West Brom as examples).

56 minutes ago, Bluebird Hewitt said:

Long term if sensible could really build the club up. Use the money to pick up young talented players cheap and win the championship next year and be much better prepared for survival and establishing yourselves in the league. 

1 hour ago, RandoEFC said:

I watched quite a big chunk of your game today. Didn't think anything of it at the time but compared to the atmosphere created by the Wolves fans this evening the Fulham crowd allowed your game to look like an average mid season 3pm kick off. Usually a newly promoted side at home on the first day create some real scenes.

Thought you lot looked very decent today and without wanting to make sweeping judgements on the first day a much better bet for a solid top half finish than either Wolves or Fulham like some have touted.

I think it may be a London thing to be honest. I felt more uncomfortable at The Emirates and Stamford Bridge last season.

I'm intrigued to see this teams potential. Injuries and the first seven games really hampered us last time round and we still finished eleventh. My one concern is that if we lose momentum in the second half of the season we may not have the depth or alternative options to come in and help us pick up steam again. A bit like Watford last season and ourselves the year we made the cup final.

7 hours ago, carefreeluke said:

Huddersfield are dross, like another pre-season game.

Nice to see three attacking players come on. Conte would have brought on a defensive midfielder and wing back.

I think you guys are gonna have a really good year....

My tip for top 2.

6 hours ago, Dan said:

Crystal Palace are a dark horse for 7th I reckon.

Well the similarities between this team and three years ago are there. We ended last season in great form and kept that same team. We've added to that team with a marquee signing and further depth. Three seasons ago we were fifth at Christmas, above United, Liverpool and Chelsea.

Two factors saw us crumble in 2016. They were Alan Pardew and a real good cup run. Thankfully, the Pardew factor will not be there. A cup run could throw us off, and I'm slightly alarmed about the depth in the squad. Dann and Puncheon could be finished after their injuries, Kelly is a tale of woe, and we may need Williams and KaiKai to step up if we have injuries.

That said, I don't see any reason why we shouldn't have ambitions of a top half finish. We look equipped for that now we've been fully Hodgsonised.

Bournemouth vs Cardiff

I think this will be a lesson learned from Cardiff. They'll know what they have to do be combative against mid table sides too. As for Bournemouth, I think this could be the season where Callum Wilson really comes in to his own as a good Premier League striker. 

Huddersfield vs Chelsea

I do worry for Huddersfield this season. Whilst Chelsea had a soft penalty they were opened up far too easy at times. It's hard to judge where Chelsea are at on that performance.

Watford vs Brighton

Jesus Watfords new kit is horrible. That said they looked very good against Brighton. Fingers crossed for their sake Perrerya can turn in to the player that made Juventus think he would be a regular starter for then.

• Subscriber

Southampton 0-0 Burnley. Needed a Southampton goal for my little treble.

If there was ever going to be a 0-0 draw on the first weekend this was the one.

We should be smashing Southampton at Goodison next week. Yes I'm getting carried away after a draw with Wolves, deal with it. While I'm on the topic of knee jerk sweeping judgements, Hughes won't last the season.

Morata did well, however he did well for a player that is in their early 20's and cost us nearly 20 million. Bloke is 26 and should be hitting his prime. I was patient with him last season, but there will be no mercy from me this season. He needs and should do so much more. 

At this rate, we can forget about top 4 if Morata keeps it up. 

17 hours ago, Gunnersauraus said:

@Bluebird Hewitt fairplay to that Philippino goalkeeper you have. That's an incredible achievement to come from the Philippines and play in the premier league

Considering he was only going to be number two to Lee Camp it's very impressive, especially as he was playing in League One eighteen months ago for Walsall.

After Camp's injury and having a chance, Etheridge started off a bit dodgy to begin, but as the season continued he started to get more confident every game and was very good in the end. Fully deserves his chance in the top flight.

• The topic was unpinned

Archived