talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Portsmouth F.C.

football forum

0?e=2159024400&v=beta&t=tQiH3Tkk7eTxCwFC

Portsmouth Football Club is a professional football club in Portsmouth, Hampshire, England, UK which plays in EFL League One, the third tier of English football, following their promotion as EFL League Two champions in the 2016–17 EFL League Two season. The club was founded on 5 April 1898 and home matches are played at Fratton Park in Milton, Portsmouth.

Portsmouth have been the top tier Football League Champions of England twice consecutively in 1949 and 1950. Portsmouth have also won the FA Cup twice in 1939 and 2008, and have won the FA Charity Shield once in 1949. Portsmouth have also won the second tier division title once in 2002–03, the third tier division title three times in 1923–24 (South), 1961–62, 1982–83 and the fourth tier division title once in 2016–17. In the early twentieth century, Portsmouth were also champions of the Southern Football League in 1901–02 and 1919–20. Portsmouth were also champions of the Western Football League in 1900–01, 1901–02 and 1902–03. These, and their more recent wins make Portsmouth F.C. southern England's most successful football club (in terms of cups, honours and titles) outside London.

Portsmouth have played in European competition only for one season in their history, the 2008–09 UEFA Cup (now UEFA Europa League), a result of winning the 2008 FA Cup Final. In this period, the club had international footballers including England players Glen Johnson, Jermain Defoe, Peter Crouch, David James and Sol Campbell. By the 2009-10 season, Portsmouth had large financial problems and they entered administration on 26 February 2010, which resulted in a nine-point deduction by the Premier League[1] and relegation to the second tier EFL Championship. At the conclusion of the 2009-10 Premier League season, Portsmouth, already relegated, had reached the 2010 FA Cup Final and finished as runners-up to winners Chelsea.

By 17 February 2012, EFL Championship side Portsmouth entered another financial administration. Poor playing performances then relegated Portsmouth to the third tier EFL League One. A year later, on 10 April 2013, Portsmouth survived the threat of liquidation by the High Court of Justice, having been successfully purchased by the fan-owned Pompey Supporters Trust (PST), who had also gained possession of Fratton Park.[2][3] However, Portsmouth's exit from administration caused a ten points deduction which relegated Portsmouth to the fourth tier EFL League Two, their lowest point since the 1979-80 season in the former Football League Fourth Division.

After winning the fourth tier EFL League Two divisional championship title in the final game of the 2016–17 season, Portsmouth became only the fifth English football club to win all four tiers of current English professional football (after Wolves, Burnley, Preston North End and Sheffield United). In addition, Portsmouth are also one of only two English football clubs to have been champions of five professional divisions including the former regional Football League Third Division Southchampionship in the 1923–24 season.[4] Wolverhampton Wanderers also share this distinction, having won all four divisions, plus a Football League Third Division North title win, coincidentally in the same 1923–24 season as Portsmouth won the respective South division. The two regional Third Divisions were restructured into England's national Football League Third Division and Football League Fourth Divisions for the 1958-59 season, meaning these five professional divisional wins will never again be matched by other clubs under the current structure.

In May 2017, the members of the Pompey Supporters Trust (PST) voted to sell Portsmouth Football Club, the largest fan-owned football club in England (2013-2017), to The Tornante Company, an investment company owned by former Disney CEO Michael Eisner.[5] The purchase was completed on 3 August 2017.[6]

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

With the way they played last year, the fact they've kept their better players, and the experienced manager they have. As an ambition they should be looking at automatic promotion with the likes of Sunderland, Burton, Plymouth and Charlton this season.

What i think could affect them is the squad mentality. They were given various opportunities last season to break in to the playoff places which they always seemed to flounder at. They really need to break through that mental hurdle.

Not sure that I agree about Plymouth either. Charlton certainly aren’t near the best teams in League One either. Their squad is paper thin, they’ve signed a couple of players this summer at most as Roland Duchatelet looks to wind down his investment in anticipation to sell the club (something that’s been ongoing for six months now). They’ve lost Jake Forster-Caskey to a season ending injury already too. 

Peterborough look strong. 

1 hour ago, Smiley Culture said:

Not sure that I agree about Plymouth either. Charlton certainly aren’t near the best teams in League One either. Their squad is paper thin, they’ve signed a couple of players this summer at most as Roland Duchatelet looks to wind down his investment in anticipation to sell the club (something that’s been ongoing for six months now). They’ve lost Jake Forster-Caskey to a season ending injury already too. 

Peterborough look strong. 

They've replaced Magennis with Lyle Taylor who is a good up and coming forward from AFC Wimbledon and the void of Forster-Caskey is about to be covered by Eunan O'Kane. Darren Pratley should replace Jackson's experience. They're one of the very few teams that showed some mental toughness last year and I imagine Lee Bowyer is capable of garnering that same spirit again 

Plymouth went from strength to strength last season. They haven't lost major players and recruited well with Macey and Moore from Arsenal, the Everton lads and Wootton from MK Dons. They should fancy themselves to continually progress. Automatic promotion is possibly a step too far but there's no reason they shouldn't look at playoffs.

To lose Jack Marriott, Gwoin Edwards and Jack Baldwin will hit Posh hard. Louis Reed could be a coup but I would be very impressed if they went up.

7 hours ago, The Palace Fan said:

They've replaced Magennis with Lyle Taylor who is a good up and coming forward from AFC Wimbledon and the void of Forster-Caskey is about to be covered by Eunan O'Kane. Darren Pratley should replace Jackson's experience. They're one of the very few teams that showed some mental toughness last year and I imagine Lee Bowyer is capable of garnering that same spirit again 

Plymouth went from strength to strength last season. They haven't lost major players and recruited well with Macey and Moore from Arsenal, the Everton lads and Wootton from MK Dons. They should fancy themselves to continually progress. Automatic promotion is possibly a step too far but there's no reason they shouldn't look at playoffs.

To lose Jack Marriott, Gwoin Edwards and Jack Baldwin will hit Posh hard. Louis Reed could be a coup but I would be very impressed if they went up.

Charlton have nineteen first team players and just one goalkeeper who had only played as high as the Vanarama National before Saturday. I like Bowyer and thought he turned around their season last season but they’re not going up. No way that will happen with a squad that size. They’ve already lost one of those nineteen for the season and couldn’t name a full bench on Saturday. 

Plymouth simply don’t have enough goals in them for me. Last season, attacking midfielder Graham Carey got sixteen goals but the next highest goal scorer for them managed six and for me, I don’t think they’ve signed a striker capable of reaching fifteen goals. They’ve signed Freddie Ladapo, a man who’s last goal come in the 2016-17 season, have two kids in Alex Fletcher (19) and Callum Dyson (21) and Ryan Taylor has never really been prolific in front of goal anywhere. 

Peterborough sell players quite often. It’s normal for them. In Jason Cummings, I think they’ve got goals and they’ve signed well in Siriki Dembele, Alex Woodyard, Louis Reed and Matt Godden and in Steve Evans, they’ve got a winner as manager. 

After today, have lost 6 of the 8 first matches in the EFL Trophy...pretty shitty. 

This year has started off with positive results, however the play on the field has been abysmal. Been out played in every match, have been left defending our ass all match, and have somehow have eeked out 2 league wins, and the loss today. 

As much as I love Walkes since watching him with Atlanta United last year, he has to sit. He's played horrid in all 3 matches, and today made a massive mistake which lead to giving up the second goal against a poor Wimbledon side. 

I can't be happy to be out of this tournament, even though it means less fixtures when the real goal of this season has been promotion. Losing sucks, but starting off the season looking awful and defensive against poorer teams, is just he worst. The wins have thus far hidden the fact that this midfield is weak as shit, and the tactic of scoring early and then sitting back is going to lead to another mid-table finish. The talent on this team is superior to the majority of sides in this league, and we need to fucking start acting like it. 

5 hours ago, Devon Von Devon said:

Does the crescent and the star has anything to do with the British-Ottoman history ? 

In 1194 it was King Richard I, Richard the Lionheart, who granted the Town of Portsmouth its first charter. The star and crescent symbol is also present on the seal of William de Longchamp, Bishop of Ely, who as Lord Chancellor, was involved in the in the granting of Portsmouth's charter. 

It is believed that the Town of Portsmouth adapted the symbol to use as its coat of arms in tribute to King Richard, for his patronage in granting Town status. The Star and Crescent symbol is known to have been used by Mayors of Portsmouth from at least the seventeenth century and probably earlier from the middle ages. 

The motto 'Heaven's Light Our Guide' was incorporated into the coat of arms in 1929, it is the same motto that was also used by the Order of the Star of India and was used on Indian troopships which regularly travelled between Portsmouth and the East.

https://www.welcometoportsmouth.co.uk/star and cresent.html

48 minutes ago, Eco said:

In 1194 it was King Richard I, Richard the Lionheart, who granted the Town of Portsmouth its first charter. The star and crescent symbol is also present on the seal of William de Longchamp, Bishop of Ely, who as Lord Chancellor, was involved in the in the granting of Portsmouth's charter. 

It is believed that the Town of Portsmouth adapted the symbol to use as its coat of arms in tribute to King Richard, for his patronage in granting Town status. The Star and Crescent symbol is known to have been used by Mayors of Portsmouth from at least the seventeenth century and probably earlier from the middle ages. 

The motto 'Heaven's Light Our Guide' was incorporated into the coat of arms in 1929, it is the same motto that was also used by the Order of the Star of India and was used on Indian troopships which regularly travelled between Portsmouth and the East.

https://www.welcometoportsmouth.co.uk/star and cresent.html

There is an Irish club that has a similar badge because Ottomans helped them against the Brits i thaught this might be similar

1 minute ago, Devon Von Devon said:

There is an Irish club that has a similar badge because Ottomans helped them against the Brits i thaught this might be similar

I'm not it's not extremely different and there are likely some source pulled from the Ottoman's time, I just wasn't able to find anything in my 2 minutes of searching. 

1 minute ago, Gunnersauraus said:

@Eco are you from Portsmouth originally?

No. From Atlanta, live in Atlanta. 

Been to England often, although not in a few years. When I started watching football, I loved Arsenal and Henry, as well as Portsmouth and Kanu/James. Watching the FA Cup victory in 2008 while in England during my summer from College. 

9 minutes ago, Eco said:

No. From Atlanta, live in Atlanta. 

Been to England often, although not in a few years. When I started watching football, I loved Arsenal and Henry, as well as Portsmouth and Kanu/James. Watching the FA Cup victory in 2008 while in England during my summer from College. 

So which team do you support?

9 minutes ago, Gunnersauraus said:

So which team do you support?

Atlanta United (Have season Tickets)
Portsmouth (Member of the Pompey Supporters Trust for 5 years now)
Inter Milan (although I don't want all the matches nor keep up with them like I used to). 

• The title was changed to Portsmouth F.C.

Archived