• Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Favourite Indigenous Groups

football forum

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, Stan said:

you must be proper bored on your travels mate.

My trip doesn't begin proper til later today haha

Nah I created this thread because I was watching a video on a brit who went to Africa and learned about the different cultures there. Its interesting to see different styles of life depending on the country.

20 minutes ago, Blue said:

My trip doesn't begin proper til later today haha

Nah I created this thread because I was watching a video on a brit who went to Africa and learned about the different cultures there. Its interesting to see different styles of life depending on the country.

I bet that Brit wasn't Jack Wilshere... He was afraid to go to Rome, so imagine. :ph34r:

• Subscriber

Haha, I found the topic title a bit weird... Don't have a "favourite" indigenous group and most other people probably don't, either... That said, most of the indigenous cultures are definitely interesting and fascinating to learn about, mostly due to a completely different way of living, especially in a world which gets increasingly interconnected and similar, regardless of where you go. 

I'm particularly interested in those communities that have been living in harsh conditions (extreme cold, extreme heat, water, etc.) and became adapted to it, sometimes even to such a degree that there's actual changes in their DNA; it's like seeing evolution in action. Sea nomads, for example - there is a sea nomad tribe (Moken) in Thailand where children have adapted to see clearly underwater, and can also intentionally slow down their heart rate to be able to hold breath and stay underwater for longer time. Similar, but even more fascinating, is the Bajau sea nomad tribe in Indonesia - they can spend as long as 13 minutes underwater without air, and it has been proven to be a DNA changing evolutionary adaptation resulting from natural selection; they have larger spleens that can store more oxygen-carrying red blood cells, and they also have a form of a gene which controls narrowing of the blood vessels in the extremities, leading to the delivery of more oxygenated blood to the brain, heart and lungs when they are diving for long periods of time.

5 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

I read the title of the thread and thought "what the shit?" I don't have a favourite Indigenous group and I think it's weird if you do.

Strangest thread I’ve ever seen. Absolute madness. 

In fairness most of us do have favoured cultures or ones we find more intriguing than others.

Maybe (and this is just throwing a theory out there), but maybe it sounds odd or wrong because indigenous in the west is synonymous with thinking racially, with racism, whilst we are more comfortable grouping by the western concept of the nation state. 

Perhaps for someone like Brian, being South American, a continent with numerous indigenous groups, it isn't weird but is just an ordinary way of viewing social groups.

If we were asked which country's women do you find most attractive (a racially charged question) or which country are you most intrigued by, most westerners would find an answer pretty easily I bet. 

That the word indigenous should turn people off is interesting in itself.

47 minutes ago, Harvsky said:

In fairness most of us do have favoured cultures or ones we find more intriguing than others.

Maybe (and this is just throwing a theory out there), but maybe it sounds odd or wrong because indigenous in the west is synonymous with thinking racially, with racism, whilst we are more comfortable grouping by the western concept of the nation state. 

Perhaps for someone like Brian, being South American, a continent with numerous indigenous groups, it isn't weird but is just an ordinary way of viewing social groups.

If we were asked which country's women do you find most attractive (a racially charged question) or which country are you most intrigued by, most westerners would find an answer pretty easily I bet. 

What’s your answer then?

6 hours ago, Harvsky said:

It's not that, Brian's just plain weird asking this question. I don't have any favourite indigenous group neither, though i see how someone like Brian who's from a predominantly indigenous country may like them, but not us being one of the only two predominantly white countries in Latin America.

I´m pretty certain I have some "Kaingang" blood in me, so that´s an easy answer.

But about indigenous groups, I´m more interested in those from Asia. Dumb me wasn´t aware till recently that the "han chinese" actually are not the Taiwan island natives.

7 hours ago, Berserker said:

It's not that, Brian's just plain weird asking this question. I don't have any favourite indigenous group neither, though i see how someone like Brian who's from a predominantly indigenous country may like them, but not us being one of the only two predominantly white countries in Latin America.

What’s the other country? 

2 minutes ago, Toinho said:

I was going to say them or Paraguay, but didn’t know! 

Nah, despite their similar names they're quite different. Paraguay is mostly indigenous albeit not as much as Peru or Bolivia, also Paraguay is one of the few countries in Latin America that has an official language other than Spanish, (Guarani) the others being obviously Brazil and some tiny ones around Central America i believe.

On 07/08/2018 at 03:53, Harvsky said:

I've been to other forums and they had threads like.

Most and least attractive cultures other than your own :ay:

Archived