talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Martyn Waghorn Signs for Derby County

football forum

• Administrator

Middlesbrough bid accepted by Ipswich.

Derby beaten to it as they need money from Vydra sale but haven't yet sold him. Wonder if Waghorn will have a big say in this in terms of if he wants to go to Derby he could stall talks with Boro, wait til they sell Vydra and then go. If that doesn't work out, he could still choose Boro...?

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator
5 minutes ago, The Palace Fan said:

He's been ok for Ipswich, but I think they'll be delighted to get that fee from anybody. He's somebody that blows far too hot and cold at this level. I'm a little surprised he's drummed up such interest from others.

yeah, sounds similar to when he was with us. 

you'd never really know before a match what kind of game you'd get. There's not really an in-between with Waghorn.

• Subscriber
46 minutes ago, The Palace Fan said:

He's been ok for Ipswich, but I think they'll be delighted to get that fee from anybody. He's somebody that blows far too hot and cold at this level. I'm a little surprised he's drummed up such interest from others.

Ok? That's massively underselling it. He combined for the most goals in the Championship last year. He was Ipswich's best player, and managed to thrive despite playing under a manager and a system that does not allow much attacking expression.

His career to date has been patchy, and he certainly didn't live up to the early promise at Leicester - but last he was excellent and I'm not surprised teams at the top of the division are trying to get him to replicate that form for them. 

16 minutes ago, Storts said:

Ok? That's massively underselling it. He combined for the most goals in the Championship last year. He was Ipswich's best player, and managed to thrive despite playing under a manager and a system that does not allow much attacking expression.

His career to date has been patchy, and he certainly didn't live up to the early promise at Leicester - but last he was excellent and I'm not surprised teams at the top of the division are trying to get him to replicate that form for them. 

I disagree with him being Ipswich's best player, Bilalkowski always looks like a man on a one man mission, but I didn't recognise his attacking return was that high. Unfortunately he's due a bad season now to keep consistent with his career.

• Subscriber
27 minutes ago, The Palace Fan said:

I disagree with him being Ipswich's best player, Bilalkowski always looks like a man on a one man mission, but I didn't recognise his attacking return was that high. Unfortunately he's due a bad season now to keep consistent with his career.

Last year he was. Bart is great too - and it was important for them to tie him down to his new contract, although I think he may regret it - but a striker scoring and assisting like Waghorn did last year is always more valuable imo. 

He probably is due a bad season - but he may have turned a corner, who knows. Either way it's going to be a big loss to Ipswich, and potentially beneficial gamble for 'Boro

• Subscriber

Ipswich fan I go on my course with says also Bialkowski is their best player by a mile and if he wasn't there last year they'd have dropped, does say Waghorn is better than he gets credit for but eight million for a 28 year old Waghorn. I thought we overpaid paying £3mil for him when he was 20.

• Administrator
10 minutes ago, Cannabis said:

If I remember rightly he was pretty dire at Wigan too, hence why he was sent up to Scotland.

make it sound like some sort of punishment xD 

• The title was changed to Martyn Waghorn - Derby Match Middlesbrough's Bid

He's chosen Derby County. Having a medical now.

I was quite surprised Derby are in the market for a forward given their goal return last season, but the Derby fan I was with last Friday said there big problem last season was getting their midfielders to link with the strikers. From the numbers @Storts has shown from Waghorn last year youd imagine he and Wilson will go a long way to improving that.

The board have definitely given Frank Lampard the best possible chance to be a sucess this season.

I know they aren't Lampard's players, but Derby have an insane amount of strikers on massive wages. I don't know how FFP hasn't hit Derby,

Chris Martin, Nugent, Jerome, Blackman, Vydra, Bennet, Vyrda and now Marriott and Waghorn!

• Subscriber

I don't actually mind him he was just a real disappointment for us, he had a loan spell where he was a complete unknown near enough but ended up being our joint top scorer with in my eyes, a good work ethic and all-round game. I was delighted when we got him permanently. He was poor for us once he was our player permanently.

Derby have so many people I like at the minute and who I'd like to see do well. Why does it have to be Derby?

• Subscriber
On 06/08/2018 at 14:24, Marc said:

I know they aren't Lampard's players, but Derby have an insane amount of strikers on massive wages. I don't know how FFP hasn't hit Derby,

Chris Martin, Nugent, Jerome, Blackman, Vydra, Bennet, Vyrda and now Marriott and Waghorn!

So many average players as well. That isn't really that good an attack is it?

Archived